Hi iv downloaded netflix but wen i go to press watch the movie now up pops a note sayin not compatable unless i dowload fire fox or google chrome or windows8 .. So question is can u actually watch movies from netflix on this playbook
    02-27-13 07:22 PM
    Hi iv downloaded netflix but wen i go to press watch the movie now up pops a note sayin not compatable unless i dowload fire fox or google chrome or windows8 .. So question is can u actually watch movies from netflix on this playbook
    No as it doesn't support Microsoft Silver light, and that's what Netflix uses to stream its videos.
    02-27-13 07:23 PM
    If you use playon.tv you can watch netflix

Posted via CB10
    KermEd likes this.
    02-27-13 07:28 PM
    If you use playon.tv you can watch netflix

Posted via CB10
    Yup that's what I use.
    KermEd likes this.
    02-27-13 09:12 PM
    Is it available for Canada?
    02-27-13 10:03 PM
    The playbook is not mentioned as being supported on their sites.
    02-27-13 10:59 PM
    Question- If I get playon.tv, which version do I download to my PB? Also, what do you think about PlayLater? And since we can already watch anything from our PBs on our tvs, do we really need PlayOn? Or shoulder just focus on PlayLater? Or do we need both? Advice from those in the know is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    02-27-13 11:10 PM
    You can use the browser, grab MediaConnect for BB10/PlayBook, sideload the Android app, etc. etc to access PlayOn from your device.

Free version of PlayOn will let you stream videos from your PC to your device. PlayOn subscription will let you stream netflix / hulu as well.
    02-28-13 01:10 AM
    Play later is a dvr that records shows that stream online. Playon is a media server that requires the computer to run software. So if you want to use Netflix it has to be running as the computer transcodes the video on the fly and than any device can access it.

It works well for Netflix, just is not as organized as native apps or the web. Lots of scripts for playon that open up a new world for any device you use. You would have to purchase the premium version as the freebie version is pretty much useless. Essentially the freebie works as a local content server.
    02-28-13 01:32 AM
    Okay, but I don't sideload. So, if I purchased PlayLater, which version do I download as BlackBerry isn't offered?
    02-28-13 08:13 AM
    The playbook is not mentioned as being supported on their sites.
    The beauty of the BlackBerry browser is they don't need to support an app. Or follow @KermEd directions for the side load.
    02-28-13 08:30 AM
    Okay, but I don't sideload. So, if I purchased PlayLater, which version do I download as BlackBerry isn't offered?
    If you want Playon you DO NOT purchase play later. Play later is (DIGITAL Video Recording) software and is NOT what you need. You would need Playon "Premium". Playon pretty much supports ANY device, even a crappy wii with a horrible browser..

Just visit PlayOn lets you watch movies, shows, live sports and more from over 35 channels like Hulu, Netflix, Comedy Central, PBS on your TV with your Wii, PS3, Roku, Xbox, and more. | PlayOn to see how it all works..
    02-28-13 10:28 AM
    I am not going to pay anybody $45 without guaranty that it actually works on my device. There is no mention about PB anywhere on their sites.
    02-28-13 12:41 PM
    How is this for proof...lol Enjoy.

Last edited by SparkyBC; 02-28-13 at 11:57 PM.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    02-28-13 12:57 PM
    All PlayOn does, is turn your PC into a Flash Media Server.

If you get PlayOn free, it will turn your PC into a Flash Web Server showing only the AVIs and Videos on your PC.

If you get PlayOn Premium you can stream Netflix, Hulu and a wack of channels.

They don't care what device you watch it on - its a flash server. Its like a private web server in your home. Anything in your house capable of accessing wifi and running flash is considered supported.

Try the free basic version to see AVI streaming - if you can figure out how to do that via browser, no sweat. Then try the Premium for a month at 7 bucks or whatever to see if you like it.

However, if you want PlayOn for PlayBook/BB10 with full technical support and in a supported environment you can do that too. But it costs 99 cents to get Media Connect from me (AppWorld). It has lots of pretty pictures and step-by-step instructions on doing it . And includes this for lots of other media servers as well. I support PB/BB10 and helping get you connected to the media server. But PlayOn support takes over support for the media server itself as that's their specialty. This is a bit of a work-around (as I didn't really make Media connect for Netflix) but it works.

Alternatively: grab Flix from Daniel in AppWorld (4.99?) and use that instead. But this will only add Netflix. As a plus, no PlayOn needed.

Or SplashTop and get RDP, Hulu access as well (9.99 I think?).

There are lots options for Netflix to your device - but they are a pain for the devs supporting them and are not exactly painless to setup the first time.

All solutions I know of are at a cost for now - no truly legal free ones until lazy netflix builds their own app or gives us api access. It just depends on if you need Netflix enough to justify the extras while we wait for them.

Ed

via Tapatalk
    03-01-13 03:09 AM
    Play on does not have a blackberry app. Just go to playon.tv in the Web browser or buy tablet tv there is a play on app in that setup in there

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 08:17 AM
    I use splashtop for home use. I can operate my entire computer from my playbook. including watching netflix if I want to.
    03-02-13 09:07 AM
    yes, as other posters have said, Netflix uses silverlight. Other tablet manufacturers were smart and included silverlight compatability. My wife enjoys it on her ipad.

On playbook, when we ask for silverlight, everybody jumps on you and says "we don't need silverlight".

So the tablet continues to not be compatable with many content streaming sights.
    03-02-13 09:13 PM
    No you can't, outside of streaming via wifi from your PC, which of course it futile, since you could just watch them on your computer. The lack of Netflix and other key apps is what killed the playbook, which is too bad, given the quality otherwise.
    03-03-13 12:20 AM
    yes, as other posters have said, Netflix uses silverlight. Other tablet manufacturers were smart and included silverlight compatability. My wife enjoys it on her ipad.

On playbook, when we ask for silverlight, everybody jumps on you and says "we don't need silverlight".

So the tablet continues to not be compatable with many content streaming sights.
    The only tablets that might run Silverlight would be Surface Pro tablets. iOS handles Silverlight just like it handles Flash. It doesn't...

There is no ARM based version of Silverlight. Your PlayBook rage is clouding reality.
    nappp likes this.
    03-03-13 01:17 AM
    Yup,

iOS and Android use custom streaming from the Netflix site.

Which is exactly why BBRY is stuck. They need Netflix to get off their high horse and get involved. Netflix says no, here's old source code, do it yourself. But BBRY is having a hard time with the DRM.

Or so the rumour is anyway.

via Tapatalk
    03-03-13 05:57 AM
    The only tablets that might run Silverlight would be Surface Pro tablets. iOS handles Silverlight just like it handles Flash. It doesn't...

There is no ARM based version of Silverlight. Your PlayBook rage is clouding reality.
    My wife watches netflix streamed movies on her ipad all the time.

I hear that bb10, when it comes to the playbook, will be able to render silverlight and other streamed formats due to html5 or whatever. Not sure on the details but I always take promises of things to come on blackberry devices with a grain of salt.

Wisely I keep a shakerful nearby these days.
    03-03-13 08:17 AM
    Not true homie with play on you can use netflix anywhere even on just you cell network.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 10:21 AM
    That's cool but how about this hypothetical....
    ...You are in Florida and your PC is in Oregon.
    ...You are in a hotel with WIFI.

Can you watch Netflix on your Playbook in the Hotel room?
    03-03-13 12:01 PM
    I'm pretty sure splashtop can remote into your pc from anywhere. it has a internet discovery feature
    03-03-13 12:10 PM
29 12