This has turned into a debate about Netflix is good or not. That was not the question. There are many things you like/require that I don't like/need. Netflix has enough subscribers across the globe to warrant people mentioning it on this forum.

I would be grateful if someone could let me know why we won't be able to use the Andoid Netflix App on OS2.0 via Android App Player?
    things here tend to be like this. its only extra info. but as i mention try tversity. its supports playon . but direct from ur tablet the anwser is NO.
    mariobastros likes this.
    01-11-12 08:18 AM
    This has turned into a debate about Netflix is good or not. That was not the question. There are many things you like/require that I don't like/need. Netflix has enough subscribers across the globe to warrant people mentioning it on this forum.

I would be grateful if someone could let me know why we won't be able to use the Andoid Netflix App on OS2.0 via Android App Player?
    I am sure it is a DRM deal. It took forever for it to get to Android. To be honest, I am not sure why the app would not work.
    01-11-12 08:30 AM
    Netflix content for Canada has improved a lot since the initial release. Not saying it's amazingly great just saying, it has improved and quite a plausible purchase for many folks.. myself included.

However; that said -- I still use a VPN to access the US side of things which, btw the PlayBook supports..not for Netflix but other 'blocked' US content I mean.
    I agree - the content could be better, as well as the setup (no expiring soon - I've missed a few things I wanted to see because they just up and disappeared) but it combined with my antenna give me way more value than an $80 satelite subscription.
    01-11-12 08:33 AM
    So, since nobody asked: Is Rovi any better, content-wise, than NetFlix, Amazon Prime or even Google/Youtube Movies?
    01-11-12 09:38 AM
    My Amazon Prime membership works quite well on the PlayBook.
    Except when you're bridged, no? Because then Amazon thinks you have suddenly moved to Canada.

I have Netflix (streaming and DVDs/BRs), Amazon Prime, and Hulu Plus. The only one I'm thinking of canning is Hulu. Certainly not Netflix. From the odd new release to older chestnuts I've never seen to TV shows I've completely missed out on (e.g., Mad Men and Breaking Bad, which are free on Netflix but $2 an episode on Prime), it has a lot of value to me.

So I'd really like to see it on the PB. My kids have it on their Kindle Fires, ferchrissake.
    JosephRuff likes this.
    01-11-12 10:57 AM
    So, since nobody asked: Is Rovi any better, content-wise, than NetFlix, Amazon Prime or even Google/Youtube Movies?
    You're comparing apples, oranges, and mangoes. The Rovi store will just be for renting and purchasing movies. Netflix (the streaming app that is) is a monthly subscription service that lets you stream movies and TV shows from their library for free. Amazon Prime is a yearly subscription service that lets you rent and purchase movies and TV shows and lets you stream movies from their library for free. The Amazon and Netflix libraries overlap; Netflix has a better selection, including TV shows that you would have to buy/rent on Amazon.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-11-12 11:02 AM
    It's going to work with Android Player in 2, right? That's what I'm banking on. Come to think of it, not much about AP in CES hilite stuff.....
    01-11-12 12:35 PM
    You're comparing apples, oranges, and mangoes. The Rovi store will just be for renting and purchasing movies. Netflix (the streaming app that is) is a monthly subscription service that lets you stream movies and TV shows from their library for free. Amazon Prime is a yearly subscription service that lets you rent and purchase movies and TV shows and lets you stream movies from their library for free. The Amazon and Netflix libraries overlap; Netflix has a better selection, including TV shows that you would have to buy/rent on Amazon.
    I know what NetFlix is, strange as it may seem, we have that in Brasil. But... It isn't free anywhere... You need to subscribe before you can stream anything.

I was really wanting info on their catalog. Will I be able to go and buy Star Trek: Deep Space 9 in portuguese? Time Tunel in japanese?

I just got a new question, will there be something like NetFlix in there? Pay $5/month and steam away? If not, we should suggest it.
    01-11-12 02:12 PM
    Netflix has actually separated the streaming and disk rental, so streaming is really not "free" anymore. There is a charge for unlimited streaming and/or disks (1 or multiple out at a time) and you can choose just disks or just streaming or both. I don't know too much about multilingual support on streaming. I have not found a way to add captions or a different language for streaming. Of course, if it is a Portugese or Japanese foreign film, it will be streamed with English subtitles.
    01-11-12 02:23 PM
    The Android App Player is only compatible with about 40% of Android apps. Netflix is in the 60% that doesn't work. It requires the kind of lower level access for its DRM that just isn't going to ever work in the Android Player.

However, we have positive confirmation native Netflix for PlayBook is in the works. As I said earlier, some Netflix code was included in the latest OS 2.0 developer beta. I don't know when Netflix will be released, whether with 2.0 or some time later, but it's undeniably in the works. I should also say, it's possible for Netflix to change their minds at any point and abandon PlayBook support. But, given it's already being worked on I don't see that as very likely.
    BlazorBoy and Thunderbuck like this.
    01-11-12 03:25 PM
    I'll have no problem paying more for decent titles. I cancelled Netflix after about 2 months simply because I think their library sucks. Too many 20-year-old B list titles. But for those of you that want it I hope it becomes available.
    I will agree that there have always been an odd amount of B listers on there and it is annoying. Never really understood how Netflix was "recommending" these titles to me when I never watched any of them lol. Just goes to show you the content is strangely limitted. But that is getting much more rare these days as the content is much improved. There is always room for further improvement of course, but as I see it Netflix will either get better, or one day left in the dust by another content provider. The PlayBook Video Store has the potential to be that provider of content for me, so we will see how it goes. As it stands today, I'm much happier with what they (Netflix) have to offer compared to a year ago.
    01-11-12 10:38 PM
    RIM should have lined up a Netflix app or the necessary plugin for the browser before launching the Playbook. Maybe RIM didn't care to have Playbook users support Netflix, given its own plans for a media empire, I don't know. But, that's water under the bridge at this point. If the Netflix people are now working on an app for the Playbook, that's good news. If true, we should see it soon, too, as it really isn't that hard.
    01-11-12 11:33 PM
    Currently, there is only one tablet that has Netflix's official app and that is the Thinkpad tablet.

I also have a friend who works for Netflix (programming) and he has not heard any support for PB but that does not mean anything.
    01-11-12 11:53 PM
    Currently, there is only one tablet that has Netflix's official app and that is the Thinkpad tablet.

I also have a friend who works for Netflix (programming) and he has not heard any support for PB but that does not mean anything.
    Android tabs have it, as well as the iPad. Heck, it works on the unimposing Nook Color.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    01-12-12 12:16 AM
    I think we all need to call/mail/e-mail netflix and demand support for the playbook.
    01-12-12 12:43 AM
    Android tabs have it, as well as the iPad. Heck, it works on the unimposing Nook Color.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Yes they do but the only OFFICIAL one endorsed by Netflix is the one on the Thinkpad.
    unless Lenovo and Netflix is lying.

BTW, thinkpad tablet is android 3.1 HC.
    01-12-12 01:03 AM
    This is a telling comment from Alec Saunders in a CBC News interview yesterday:

Q: When are you getting the Netflix app?

A: When we talk with developers, we actually have to work within their business plans, which is unsurprising. In the case of Netflix, they’re doing very well focusing on PCs and those sorts of things, so we’ll get to it when Netflix and RIM are both ready to do it.

I read that as "we're able to do it any time, but Netflix needs to want to play too".

Sounds like, if you want Netflix, go bug Netflix about it some more. Don't complain about RIM not wanting or being able to do it.
    highos likes this.
    01-12-12 10:38 AM
    I think that Netflix not being on the playbook is the ONLY negative about it. it beats the iPad in EVERY way for me. I LOVE the size and everything else about it.

I can stream my own videos and songs using winamp remote, but i have NO access to my netflix account. even though im in canada and the selection isnt as good as it is in the states there are still a lot of tv shows that i would like to watch whenever i can.

I would sign a petition in a heartbeat. I was also thinking of sending them an email sayin that i would stop my subscription if they didnt get the service on PB, but im not sure my single boycott would work.
    01-12-12 04:39 PM
    I think someone needs to start a thread titled "Netflix is not up to RIM and does not come with any OS version" so we don't have a million netflix threads.

Oh never mind it will happen anyway.
    01-12-12 05:01 PM
    Yes they do but the only OFFICIAL one endorsed by Netflix is the one on the Thinkpad.
    unless Lenovo and Netflix is lying.

BTW, thinkpad tablet is android 3.1 HC.
    Yep, that is made up. Either an old promo or outright nonsense. They made the apps for those platforms.

ETA: went and checked. The Thinkpad was the first Android tablet to come with the Netflix app pre-installed way back in Summer 2011.
    Last edited by trelawrence; 01-12-12 at 05:50 PM.
    01-12-12 05:41 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD