MS has annouced that Silverlight will be phased out for broad use in the next version, this is apart of the html5 moment that is happening, I do believe that we'll see a change in netflix soon...they've already html5'd the android client as of the other day, and soon will be with ios too.
    Sorry if this is a Newbie question, but what exactly does that mean? Any browser will be able to use Netflix?
    11-20-11 02:15 PM
    I think its safe to say there will be no Netflix app for the Playbook.. They just recently released a new netflix app for iOS, I think if they had plans of developing an app for netflix itd be here by now..

But if they do adopt HTML5 for the netflix desktop then itll work with Playbook..
    11-21-11 12:07 AM
    I think its safe to say there will be no Netflix app for the Playbook.. They just recently released a new netflix app for iOS, I think if they had plans of developing an app for netflix itd be here by now..

But if they do adopt HTML5 for the netflix desktop then itll work with Playbook..
    "IF . . . ."

Is RIM completely tone deaf?

Every time I find myself getting tempted to pick up a PB at one of these new price points, I'm reminded that no, I won't have Netflix, and no, I won't have Kindle, and no, I won't even be able to A2DP stream my music via Bluetooth. Among a variety of other nos.

Then I read people talking about how OS2 might provide a solution to one thing or another three months down the road, or that I could use Kobo instead of Kindle (no, thanks), or that "if" Netflix adopts HTML5 for the PC it will probably work with the PB.

Not that I'd expect it on a forum dominated by fanbois, but isn't there anyone willing to say that, despite his prowess in raw specs, the Emperor has no clothes?
    FF22 likes this.
    11-21-11 06:22 AM
    Quite honestly...I'm dropping netflix BECAUSE it doesn't work on my playbook!!! I'm using amazon's streaming service now which works great! I can use the $$$ I'm saving from my netflix subscription to pay to stream (rent/buy) the movies that aren't free on amazon. In the end, I'm expecting to come out ahead!!!

11-21-11 07:49 AM
    I too dropped my netflix subscription even before I had a PB in favor of the amazon streaming service. Also, I use Kindle via the cloud reader and it works fine on my PB.
    11-21-11 08:13 AM

Not necessarily. They'll pour resources into the platforms that "pay" in the end, yes, but it doesn't mean they won't make a PB app.

I still say RIM could make it happen if they really wanted to.
    11-21-11 08:18 AM
    I don't think netflix is going to develop the app... I just spoke with them and they mentioned that some one has to come up with it then submit it to them for approval.
    11-21-11 10:12 AM
    "IF . . . ."

Is RIM completely tone deaf?

Every time I find myself getting tempted to pick up a PB at one of these new price points, I'm reminded that no, I won't have Netflix, and no, I won't have Kindle, and no, I won't even be able to A2DP stream my music via Bluetooth. Among a variety of other nos.

Then I read people talking about how OS2 might provide a solution to one thing or another three months down the road, or that I could use Kobo instead of Kindle (no, thanks), or that "if" Netflix adopts HTML5 for the PC it will probably work with the PB.

Not that I'd expect it on a forum dominated by fanbois, but isn't there anyone willing to say that, despite his prowess in raw specs, the Emperor has no clothes?
    It has clothes but it does not have a complete wardrobe and some of us do think it is missing some essentials. Whether netflix is an essential is very personal. But even though some don't think so, I do think a2dp is. And I also think text-correct/etc is also essential on a glass keyboard. But others disagree. Or they accept that the warts showing are okay even if the pants (back to the clothes analogy) are not long enough to cover those warts!
    11-21-11 10:18 AM
    It's not safe to say that any more, with the 2.0.0.4869 beta. There's some Netflix-related code in it. They're definitely working on it... now it's just a matter of when, not if.
    11-22-11 07:09 PM
    Like DRM stuff or?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-11 07:11 PM
    There was some DRM stuff added in the previous beta actually. This one adds actual things with "netflix" in the name, one binary executable, the other a PPS object containing some sort of Netflix credentials.
    teeuwen, Blacklac and axllebeer like this.
    11-22-11 07:19 PM
    Thanks for the info.

11-22-11 07:21 PM
    Why not download the movie/show and then watch it whenever u want. No need for netflix, hulu, etc.

11-22-11 08:17 PM
    Why not download the movie/show and then watch it whenever u want. No need for netflix, hulu, etc.

using what?
    11-22-11 08:29 PM

where can you do this legally for around $7 a month
    11-22-11 08:53 PM
    using what?
    BitTorrent.

Its great. I live in indonesia and don't have access to many tv shows. Streaming on the net is not possible as well as often times the content is not available in my region.

Do a google search or if u want, PM me and I can tell u how to do it.

11-22-11 08:55 PM
    LOL. Wow...
    11-22-11 09:09 PM
    You know, wouldn't hurt to call Netflix customer service and ask / request a BlackBerry PlayBook app... (I just did, again.)
    KermEd likes this.
    11-22-11 09:10 PM
    BitTorrent.

Its great. I live in indonesia and don't have access to many tv shows. Streaming on the net is not possible as well as often times the content is not available in my region.

Do a google search or if u want, PM me and I can tell u how to do it.

yes but that is not legal.
    11-22-11 09:17 PM
    Haha. Yes technically it is illegal.

11-22-11 09:22 PM
    Like DRM stuff or?
    peter9477 is correct. There's now Netflix-specific files on the PlayBook, such as /sbin/netflixinit-omap4 and /pps/services/netflix/cred. I think that's as clear as it gets that Netflix is in the works, and I bet it will be released with OS 2.0.
    11-22-11 09:23 PM
    Just called Netflix, customer rep immediately knew what I was talking about and said due to large volume of calls we receive regarding the Netflix app for the play book we are looking into and app for this device, I cannot say when it will be released though.

So.... Everyone keep calling Netflix and requesting the app, it's working !
    01-16-12 07:33 PM
    So.... Everyone keep calling Netflix and requesting the app, it's working !
    Might as well. Couldn't hurt
    01-16-12 07:42 PM
    i called a couple days ago and talked to a supervisor and he said they have been getting lots of calls for a playbook app and that he will make note of it and pass it on. He also said the more people that continue to call will help. SO GET CALLING.
    namekoms likes this.
    01-16-12 07:57 PM
    i called a couple days ago and talked to a supervisor and he said they have been getting lots of calls for a playbook app and that he will make note of it and pass it on. He also said the more people that continue to call will help. SO GET CALLING.
    The squeaky wheel gets the oil...
    01-16-12 08:04 PM
123 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD