There is a lot of difference between SD and HD contents. Any device can get Netflix apps running --- if they only get SD content.
    im pretty sure PB owners would take ANY content right now lol

and actually with the new rate increase Netflix is going to it really sours the services for many people i think. I was paying 11.99 a month for 1 dvd per time rental and unlimited streaming but now that same service will be lik 17.99. They are going to charge 7.99 just for streaming and then another 11.99 for minimal physical DVD/Blurays. I am thinking of dropping it all together since i can get movies other ways without any problems and Hulu+ selection is growing daily. I am already paying 7.99 for that too
    Last edited by howarmat; 07-14-11 at 11:30 AM.
    07-14-11 11:26 AM
    It seems like we as consumers are takin'-it-in-the-shorts from Netflix every 18 months with some type of rate hike. For instance, the surcharge for Blu-Ray discs awhile back. However, they do this because they can. With Blockbuster being insignificant now, Netflix is now the "big kid on the block".

I'm pretty sure I'm going to cancel Netflix and just add HBO to our cable package.

If they end up offering streaming on the Playbook, I may subscribe again.
    That is, if my Playbook ever gets here.
    howarmat likes this.
    07-14-11 12:31 PM
    I am cancelling my Netflix just on principle, they have gotten too greedy, too fast, for no good reason other than to increase the price of their stock.

But the Playbook should really have a Netflix app and give people the option to use it on their tablet. Its a laughably useless app on a smartphone with small screens and weak speakers, but should be an option on every tablet.

For me it no longer matters, since I will stick to Amazon Prime and if I feel the urge to rent a Blue Ray or DVD, I will Red Box it now! I have noticed that I was streaming far more content from Netflix than I was watching physical DVD's or Blue Rays.

Netflix went from being an irresistable deal with no competition, to slightly overpriced with a lot of improved competitors out there. On my Playbook I can easily get by with Amazon Prime and Crackle and enjoy streaming movies and shows that way. Crackle is free and Amazon Prime is sort of like an annual fee certain Amazon shoppers get that includes free shipping on many items and unlimited streaming on a large list of movies/shows.

Screw you Netflix!!!
    07-14-11 12:57 PM
    Soooo lame that little DS thingy got a netflix app before us playbook owners
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    07-14-11 04:23 PM
    Just wondering with the changes Netflix's is making to subscriptions how many will get the app when and if it becomes available. For me i wont have streaming anymore after Sept 1 so it not a important app for me.
    Yeah me niether.. I would just opt for streaming only but their streaming library sucks.
    j556x45 likes this.
    07-14-11 05:14 PM
    I am still waiting for enhanced demo mode, and you guys are talking about netflix wtf?.......
    07-14-11 05:34 PM
    Do you even have a PB?
    07-14-11 05:47 PM
    Do you even have a PB?
    yes i do why, are getting ready to throw a fanboy or troll at me?
    07-14-11 06:09 PM
    Yep. Too bad you can't check out the bridge. It really is a great feature.
    ericlc2 likes this.
    07-14-11 06:38 PM
    catch

axllebeer, vgwillm and maxknux like this.
    07-14-11 07:12 PM
    Well with some extra cash in your pocket, we might get to see Netflix for BB... One way or another.
    RIM said to be prepping Apple TV competitor for fall launch
    07-15-11 01:36 AM
    Seems like RIM is trying to be all over the place. They should be more concerned about getting some QNX phones out and the PB finished.

There's already AppleTV,Google, Roku, HTPC and a host of standalone units(blueray players,tv) that have netflix,amazon,pandora even web browsers.
    07-15-11 08:57 AM
    Nice troll, He made me smile
    11-04-11 10:18 PM
    just called netflix and inquired as to when they would support the PlayBook. got the same answer: it's coming soon.
    11-15-11 11:18 PM
    I thought the playbook was for business? You guys flip/flop more than a politician. If you want Netflix... Just buy an iPad.
    11-15-11 11:34 PM
    I thought the playbook was for business? You guys flip/flop more than a politician. If you want Netflix... Just buy an iPad.
    Or a Kindle Fire for 199 bucks.
    11-15-11 11:40 PM
    I don't think its only meant for business useres, I bought mines purely for media consumption, and during the keynote mike did point out that it wasnt only for business users..

I would love to see netflix support
    11-16-11 01:21 AM
    just called netflix and inquired as to when they would support the PlayBook. got the same answer: it's coming soon.
    Maybe they're referring to the Android (gingerbread) version that works on the Nook and Fire? So that will mean OS2...
    11-16-11 01:47 AM
    Maybe they're referring to the Android (gingerbread) version that works on the Nook and Fire? So that will mean OS2...
    I hope to god not. I really hope they make this a native application. If we can get Netflix, Skype, the WSJ and the Economist I will most def stay with the Playbook forever.
    11-16-11 03:49 AM
    Or a Kindle Fire for 199 bucks.
    Or rather go Vizio. It is utilitarian and has HDMI out like the PB. Compared, the Fire seems stripped down.
    SRVwannab likes this.
    11-16-11 04:20 AM
    Buy a $500 tablet for a single app?

Also - if the PB is for business - why are there games available for it?
    11-16-11 06:06 AM
    Does a specific app need to be developed? I certainly wouldn't expect Netflix to develop it. They produced a product that can stream to most common browsers. The burden should be on RIM to be compatible. Sony, Philips, Roku, Apple, etc.... All seemed to produce devices that work with Netflix.

So, why not RIM? In my opinion, RIM wants to develop their own Blackberry Movie Manager just like the Blackberry Music Manager and Store. I would expect it to be developed with 7digital Music Store. They want to squeeze a little more money from you...
    11-16-11 06:29 AM
    Yes an app needs to be developed. All of Netflix' streams are DRM'd and they use Silverlight server side.

It won't be a trivial thing and if you crack their DRM they'll just patch it and update their first-party apps to stop you.

All of their apps authenticate before streaming, so they can probably just block it similar to the way sites like Hulu block mobile devices.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by N8ter; 11-16-11 at 06:33 AM.
    11-16-11 06:31 AM
    Buy a $500 tablet for a single app?

Also - if the PB is for business - why are there games available for it?

I hate stupid questions.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    jjca likes this.
    11-16-11 07:07 AM
    MS has annouced that Silverlight will be phased out for broad use in the next version, this is apart of the html5 moment that is happening, I do believe that we'll see a change in netflix soon...they've already html5'd the android client as of the other day, and soon will be with ios too.
    11-16-11 09:11 AM
123 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD