04-03-12 07:16 PM
76 1234
tools
    Netflix? I don't get it. It's like Android users begging for RIM's video store.

As far as Skype video chat, RIM has exactly ONE device with a front facing camera, and it's not one of the gazillion phones they have all over the world.
    04-01-12 11:57 PM
    Netflix says they need RIMs help. Tunein said RIM was holding their app back. Skype says RIM made an app but ditched it to please carriers. Viber says they are struggling to get their app to be compatible with RIMs products. The only people not commenting on any of this are RIM. At some point you have to say they actually don't want important apps on their ecosystem, as strange as that may seem.
    March 21, 2012 via Twitter
    Alec Saunders: "If Skype had a client, it would be shipping."
    04-02-12 10:00 AM
    From my understanding, all data goes through Blackberry network. By network, I mean RIM NOC. Of course carrier can tweek it a little for traffic like YouTube etc just like what I explained previously.

So when you open browser on your BB phone and go to Google, it will connect to your carrier's network, then to RIM NOC, back to carrier network then to your phone.

I am not an expert and you can say its my assumption. If you look at the service books, you can see all the IP Gateway are pointing to RIM's IP address with the exception of WAP2 Transport.

Also, when I bridge my phone to my PB, and when I do a speedtest.net, it identify my network as RIM in Vietnam (I am in Indonesia). Indonesia do not have a RIM NOC yet but they are opening one in Singapore so I assume in the future, I will be connecting to RIM NOC in Singapore since its nearer to Indonesia.

I am not sure how it works on a Playbook. Maybe its different but I am pretty sure for the phones, it goes through the BB NOC

- Charles
    I stand corrected. The fact that the BIS browser service book has a RIM address shows that you're right.
    04-02-12 10:37 AM
    No... it is quite different if you think about it.
    04-02-12 10:59 AM
    From my understanding, all data goes through Blackberry network. By network, I mean RIM NOC. Of course carrier can tweek it a little for traffic like YouTube etc just like what I explained previously.

So when you open browser on your BB phone and go to Google, it will connect to your carrier's network, then to RIM NOC, back to carrier network then to your phone.

I am not an expert and you can say its my assumption. If you look at the service books, you can see all the IP Gateway are pointing to RIM's IP address with the exception of WAP2 Transport.

Also, when I bridge my phone to my PB, and when I do a speedtest.net, it identify my network as RIM in Vietnam (I am in Indonesia). Indonesia do not have a RIM NOC yet but they are opening one in Singapore so I assume in the future, I will be connecting to RIM NOC in Singapore since its nearer to Indonesia.

I am not sure how it works on a Playbook. Maybe its different but I am pretty sure for the phones, it goes through the BB NOC

- Charles
    You are correct. All data via the carrier network is routed through RIMs servers and compressed before being delivered to the device. That is why a BB will consume far less data than an iPhone or Android performing the same tasks (ie:the reason RIM always pushed carrier for tiered data packaged).

BlackBerry - DataSmart Technology - Smart Data Usage - DataSmart Smartphones

I believe when on WiFi data flows directly and does not go through RIM severs.
    04-02-12 11:06 AM
    March 21, 2012 via Twitter

Alec Saunders: "If Skype had a client, it would be shipping."

Given his history, and lack of accuracy, Alec Saunders has close to zero credibility. He is totally out of the loop.

If they want to set the record straight someone high up should make a comment, or the company make an official statement.

Without one its up to people to draw their own conclusions.
    And its not just one app is it? Its loads. Somethings going on when its this many important developers.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-02-12 12:31 PM
    it's a shame with the WIfi Playbook, everyone blames RIM for for not having there app. Who cares about the NOC at RIM, carrier data compression. seems like a lot of folks are making techie excuses for the companies like MS with Skype, Netflix, Viber and others for not having there app on PB.

Plain and simple, for Netflix, they don't want to do it, more likely because of their contract with Apple. Skype maybe the same way. it's easy for these companies to keep blaming RIM, because these companies also don't want to keep losing customers, so they blame RIM, they pass the buck. If they wanted they could create there app and submit it to app world. if they did I would guarantee that it would be one of the first and biggest downloads and heavily advertised. But the truth was actually spoken by one of there support reps by mistake on Twitter. They have NO wish, want, or care to create the apps for Playbook. RIM is not commenting because they don't have to. Why should they need to constantly defend themselves? Best advice is to leave those companies behind, and find other or free services that is actually a service, and not a paid service that dictates to you what device you have to buy to use the service. BESTBUY was stroking Apple, and now they are about to close about 50 stores. This is what happens when you don't truly offer a useful service to your customers. they start going elsewhere...

Best Buy to close stores, cut jobs on 4Q weakness - Chicago Tribune
    Last edited by kerry6; 04-02-12 at 12:37 PM.
    04-02-12 12:34 PM
    When people start off with "If more mainstream apps like Skype (Probably not coming to the PB anytime soon) and Netflix (Another app that will probably not be coming to the PB either) I just tune out. If it's loads of apps, then why can't anyone mention anything other than Skype or Netflix? Seriously? I have been hearing this since day one.

The fact is, without grabbing a senior exec from Netflix/RIM/Skype (or MSFT) we will probably never know why it has been such a long, drawn out affair. We will not be privy to the backroom deals or no deals.
    Even if one side comes out and states the reasons, we only have the one side. I personally do not even see them making an app for OS 7. Why would they, when everyone knows BB10 will be out later this year. Why would anyone make an app (With the exception of some on the PB), I mean, RIM has already stated that apps working now on various OS builds will not be available for BB10. I know there has been talk (From fans, not employees) that RIM will include some sort of player (Like Android, that will allow users to play old apps/games/etc...) I have yet to hear anything from RIM in this regard.

@kerry6 - Yes, they are closing 50 stores and opening 100 (very small satellite stores, that will cater to small electronics and mobile devices) they will still have their inventory, but they will operate more like a Consumers Distributing model(If anyone remembers those old stores)
    kerry6 likes this.
    04-02-12 12:51 PM
    @kerry6 - Yes, they are closing 50 stores and opening 100 (very small satellite stores, that will cater to small electronics and mobile devices) they will still have their inventory, but they will operate more like a Consumers Distributing model(If anyone remembers those old stores)
    Yes, it brings to mind Radio Shack for one...but the lost to the company is still very large. Scaling down the stores without improving on service product or pricing is still a no win situation. What keeps me out of the bestbuy stores and I am thinking along with others, is not the economy, but the customer service. When I went to a BB store, I knew what i wanted. but they never seems to have what I needed, and always some sales guy trying to sale something that he or she clearly knew nothing about. This gets very tiring to a consumer. When consumers learn that they could buy the same products online and a lot cheaper, then that's what they will do. In order to compete, they needed to bring some special to the table, and that is clearly what they did not do, but even smaller stores with the same mentality may soon fail also. but the lay off's will still happen.

as far as they Netflix/M$ dance, the blame game will continue. Audible licensing codecs? build the app and and secure your codec within the app. don't blame RIM because they did not want to license them from you.
    Last edited by kerry6; 04-02-12 at 01:12 PM.
    04-02-12 01:08 PM
    I agree with you. There is no way that they can keep the same amount of staff with all the store closings. Anyway you look at it, BestBuy is screwed. I never liked to shop there anyways, but loss of choice usually means less competition and that sometimes can lead to higher prices.
    04-02-12 01:18 PM
    When people start off with "If more mainstream apps like Skype (Probably not coming to the PB anytime soon) and Netflix (Another app that will probably not be coming to the PB either) I just tune out. If it's loads of apps, then why can't anyone mention anything other than Skype or Netflix? Seriously? I have been hearing this since day one.

The fact is, without grabbing a senior exec from Netflix/RIM/Skype (or MSFT) we will probably never know why it has been such a long, drawn out affair. We will not be privy to the backroom deals or no deals.
    Even if one side comes out and states the reasons, we only have the one side. I personally do not even see them making an app for OS 7. Why would they, when everyone knows BB10 will be out later this year. Why would anyone make an app (With the exception of some on the PB), I mean, RIM has already stated that apps working now on various OS builds will not be available for BB10. I know there has been talk (From fans, not employees) that RIM will include some sort of player (Like Android, that will allow users to play old apps/games/etc...) I have yet to hear anything from RIM in this regard.

Netflix does not have a worldwide user base.
    Skype does.
    What you're saying has been said before, its not a load of apps that are needed, its certain key ones that fill key demands. This is the approach Windows Phone has taken.
    The problem is, even though theres lots of demand for these very few important apps, there seems to be no interest from anyone at RIM to bring them to the system, BBOS or PBOS.
    Instead of key quality apps that fill a gap in the ecosystem they've gone with a load of crap apps with the PlayBook giveaway, which does nothing to attract new, or keep existing, customers.
    04-02-12 01:48 PM

As far as Skype video chat, RIM has exactly ONE device with a front facing camera, and it's not one of the gazillion phones they have all over the world.
    OMFG!! smdh
    Last edited by JamesDax3; 04-02-12 at 06:57 PM.
    04-02-12 06:55 PM
    If someone wants a lot of apps then why buy a BlackBerry? Isnt there a giant gap in logic there?
    SnoozerBold likes this.
    04-02-12 07:05 PM
    If someone wants a lot of apps then why buy a BlackBerry? Isnt there a giant gap in logic there?
    Umm maybe because they enjoy Rimm's os/platform...If all the apps I use on my iPhone were offered on Rimm's platform I would probably switch back full time.

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    04-02-12 07:13 PM
    I concede that this is a fair, realistic point.
    04-02-12 07:34 PM
    hmm Why Netflix won’t support the BlackBerry PlayBook | UNTETHER.tv
    by Douglas Soltys Archives for Douglas Soltys BlackBerry Developer's Blog

"indicated that Netflix would not repackage the app even if it was possible, because the company prefers to forgo the cost of maintaining a BlackBerry application that will not add any new customers to their base. This is also why Netflix has turned down repeated offers from RIM to build the app itself."

so if you want to blame anyone blame netflix and it's not RIM who is holding it back. Douglas is fairly reliable source by any stretch of the imagination.
    Last edited by Ackehece; 04-02-12 at 10:03 PM.
    axllebeer likes this.
    04-02-12 09:59 PM
    Umm maybe because they enjoy Rimm's os/platform...If all the apps I use on my iPhone were offered on Rimm's platform I would probably switch back full time.

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Really?! You might?? I will get on the horn right away and pass that along to the boys upstairs
    04-02-12 10:58 PM
    "indicated that Netflix would not repackage the app even if it was possible, because the company prefers to forgo the cost of maintaining a BlackBerry application that will not add any new customers to their base. This is also why Netflix has turned down repeated offers from RIM to build the app itself."

so if you want to blame anyone blame netflix and it's not RIM who is holding it back.
    You are 50% right and 50% wrong. I agree totally that its netflix saying "no thank you"... But look deeper into the issue.... why they dont want to bother..... They do not feel that the playbook will have enough market saturation to warrant allocating resources to supporting it. That is where rim is to blame. They totally dropped the ball in developing a product that would appeal to enough people such that it would offer enough additional customers to netflix that the idea would become attractive.

Its a circular concept; the more customers your product appeals to, the more it will sell, and then more third parties will develop for it in turn making it more appealing to even more customers.
    04-02-12 11:09 PM
    I love how deep everyone is thinking into all this stuff Good reading!
    04-02-12 11:31 PM
    hmm Why Netflix won’t support the BlackBerry PlayBook | UNTETHER.tv

"indicated that Netflix would not repackage the app even if it was possible, because the company prefers to forgo the cost of maintaining a BlackBerry application [B]that will not add any new customers to their base.This is also why Netflix has turned down repeated offers from RIM to build the app itself."

so if you want to blame anyone blame netflix and it's not RIM who is holding it back. Douglas is fairly reliable source by any stretch of the imagination.
    Interesting... never really thought of it that way, but it makes sense from a business point of view.
    04-02-12 11:34 PM
    I ended up cancelling my Netflix subscription. I only got it (when it first came out) to help Netflix build up its subscriber base -- which would lead to better offerings. The offerings are a bit better now, but if Netflix doesnt get on my preferred screen, then no point in my keeping it. If they make a PlayBook app, I'll re-subscribe.

BTW here's what they said when I told them I was cancelling: "Our goal is to be on every screen that’s relevant to our members and we add more devices all the time".
    04-02-12 11:47 PM
    hmm Why Netflix wont support the BlackBerry PlayBook | UNTETHER.tv

Thanks man! I try not to be full of hot air (most of the time).
    Ackehece likes this.
    04-03-12 02:22 PM
    Oh yeah like a phone reps get to attend corporate meets with all the top executives of the company.
    SnoozerBold likes this.
    04-03-12 02:44 PM
    You are 50% right and 50% wrong. I agree totally that its netflix saying "no thank you"... But look deeper into the issue.... why they dont want to bother..... They do not feel that the playbook will have enough market saturation to warrant allocating resources to supporting it. That is where rim is to blame. They totally dropped the ball in developing a product that would appeal to enough people such that it would offer enough additional customers to netflix that the idea would become attractive.

Its a circular concept; the more customers your product appeals to, the more it will sell, and then more third parties will develop for it in turn making it more appealing to even more customers.
    There's a LITTLE more to it than that, though. The Playbook platform is not so different from Android that the client would be especially different; the support would be more of an incremental cost than anything else. If they felt the platform had promise, they'd support it.

Netflix evidently views the platform as a dead end. And it could be their loss.

I have to wonder how many subscriptions they lost as a result of that tweet from customer service back in February...
    04-03-12 03:33 PM
    netfilx doesn't like money, period. They have decided to avoid a group of people that would pay for their services. If you are in the business to make money and your platform is through the internet you SHOULD want to be on any and every platform out their. Funny how companies in the tech industry don't realize that. Oh well, more free time watching converted movies for me.
    04-03-12 03:39 PM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD