Oh I didn't realize this. Learn something new every day.
    All good Again, I'm just surprised that we even get that, considering there is no monthly cost to us
    03-31-12 03:55 PM
    Possible reason could be security. Initially Androids didn't have Netflix, apparently because each model had different security set ups. Could be that they do need some help from RIM making sure it's secure and that nobody could use a hole in the PB app to get free streams.

Also, my Bravia TV had Netflix support for the US, but Sony didn't enable it in Canada until quite a while after Qriocity had been launched. Could be that RIM is trying to see how many people will give in and buy movies from their store before they themselves give in and support Netflix.
    03-31-12 04:19 PM
    So the rep said its RIM's fault. I guess Netflix hires the same sorry people that Best Buy does.
    03-31-12 05:37 PM
    NetFlix actually streams in non-silverlight as well... for iPhone/iPad client they use HTML5 streaming ... and Silverlight does not exist for the iOS ....
    Good point; I had heard that about the iDevices. I'm sure that there would be a way for Netflix to blame the inability to stream over HTML5 on RIM as well; perhaps by using the licensing argument.
    03-31-12 06:50 PM
    Then they should be blocking YouTube.
    They already did. Streaming of YouTube will not go through RIM but the carrier's own network and additional charges will apply outside my unlimited BIS plan. All these apply to Singapore and Indonesia, and I am sure many other countries also.

- Charles
    nazreil25 likes this.
    03-31-12 08:15 PM
    1. There is no BB network. The network is owned and operated by the cell carrier. The traffic that travels over that network between a BB/PB, the RIM NOC, and a corporate BES(X) server is encrypted.
    2. The only PB traffic that touches the RIM NOC is native email traffic. HTTP traffic does not go through the NOC; it travels directly between the device and the web server.

Edit: In addition to native email traffic, I forgot App World and OTA OS updates in point 2 above.
    From my understanding, all data goes through Blackberry network. By network, I mean RIM NOC. Of course carrier can tweek it a little for traffic like YouTube etc just like what I explained previously.

So when you open browser on your BB phone and go to Google, it will connect to your carrier's network, then to RIM NOC, back to carrier network then to your phone.

I am not an expert and you can say its my assumption. If you look at the service books, you can see all the IP Gateway are pointing to RIM's IP address with the exception of WAP2 Transport.

Also, when I bridge my phone to my PB, and when I do a speedtest.net, it identify my network as RIM in Vietnam (I am in Indonesia). Indonesia do not have a RIM NOC yet but they are opening one in Singapore so I assume in the future, I will be connecting to RIM NOC in Singapore since its nearer to Indonesia.

I am not sure how it works on a Playbook. Maybe its different but I am pretty sure for the phones, it goes through the BB NOC

- Charles
    03-31-12 08:44 PM
    why would RIM want Netflix on their devices? To compete with their video store? Skype is another story as the PB video chat is Blackberry to Blackberry (like facetime on iOS) so it would not hurt to have it for cross platform chat.
    People keep saying this stupid thing. Netflix and RIMS video store ARE NOT IN COMPETITION!! They are two completely different products.

smdh
    torches and Rob Robertson like this.
    03-31-12 08:45 PM
    Netflix says they need RIMs help. Tunein said RIM was holding their app back. Skype says RIM made an app but ditched it to please carriers. Viber says they are struggling to get their app to be compatible with RIMs products. The only people not commenting on any of this are RIM. At some point you have to say they actually don't want important apps on their ecosystem, as strange as that may seem.
    Seems that RIM needs to reconsider who they are trying to make happy.

Instead of the corporate gladhanding, they should be doing everything they can to make their device as awesome as possible because word gets out and then people buy it because of what it can do.

If RIM has a pulse, they are fully aware of the Netflix issue and the number of people waiting. They need to act, and either get the damn app in or start winding down the company because if they aren't willing to do the little things that will make a lot of people happy they have no future.

Screw the carriers, nobody likes the carriers anyway. In fact, if RIM got Skype on the PB, it would be another sign that the company is listening.

Keep putting in little things that benefit the buyer of the device, not the company.

Why does Google Play have the RIM Runtime for playbook compatibility check, allows the downloading and installing process to run, but when complete the app doesn't appear on my device? What kind of user experience is that?

They need to step up, and get these issues resolved on behalf of their customers (some of which really like the Playbook) and forget the red tape, or they step down because someone will eventually see past all the corporate BS and realize that the future success of any business is directly related to the quality of the experience one has when using the product.
    03-31-12 10:14 PM
    Netflix worked fine without an app, whatever you guys want to believe.
    04-01-12 05:28 AM
    why would RIM want Netflix on their devices? To compete with their video store? Skype is another story as the PB video chat is Blackberry to Blackberry (like facetime on iOS) so it would not hurt to have it for cross platform chat.
    Does PB video chat work on BB devices?

Apple has iTunes video store, so does Amazon on Kindle Fire, and I guess Netflix is also not available on either platforms.

RIM wants more people to buy their products. These services are one of the ways to attract consumers.
    04-01-12 07:13 AM
    Has anybody actually reached out to RIM on this issue? What feedback are people giving to RIM about the lack of native apps and how do I get my voice in on this kind of discussion? This perceived lack of apps is literally one of the top three reasons RIM is losing consumers. What is RIM doing about it and how do I keep abreast of the issue?
    04-01-12 11:50 AM
    I asked the same question to Netflix in the US. The rep put me on hold for 5 minutes and then came back with some script that they wanted to be on every screen, but they are not and have no date available to be available on playbook.
    04-01-12 12:20 PM
    I remember working as an OnStar "rep" the BS we were told to make up in certain situations hahaha
    04-01-12 02:45 PM
    Who cares about Netflix? It's a dying company because of mis managament and is losing good content all the time.

Let Netflix die a quiet death.
    04-01-12 03:44 PM
    Who cares about Netflix? It's a dying company because of mis managament and is losing good content all the time.

Let Netflix die a quiet death.
    Lol I can always count on a good laugh here. But seriously some may say the same about RIM.
    ambarmetta likes this.
    04-01-12 04:00 PM
    One main difference is, James, is that RIM has no debt and the same cannot be said for Netflix.
    house78 likes this.
    04-01-12 04:08 PM
    So I just called Netflix Canada and talked to a rep over the phone. I asked if it's true that they will not be supporting a Netflix PB app and the rep went on a 1 minute long explanation of how "it's up to Blackberry right now" and "we [netflix] are waiting to hear back from them so we can go ahead and build an app".

In his first couple sentences the rep said that netflix is currently "incompatible" with the PB. Then the rep told me that for some reason they need RIM to help build a netflix app. At this point I thought he was BSing me because he knew I was going to cancel. He kept talking about how Netflix has reached out to RIM and they need RIMs approval before they can move on with building an app. Then he said he expects a Netflix PB app in the near future.

Can anyone confrim this or is this just BS that Netflix is using to diffuse PB owner anger?
    Sounds like he was BSing you. I'd imagine RIM would be good ecstatic if Netfix were willing to write an app. They probably want RIM to pay them to develops it.

Also, I too called Netflix a few months ago and was told a PB app was imminent as we're apps for all bb smartphones.
    04-01-12 04:41 PM
    Ever think the reps get tired of questions that they don't have answers too and make up or parrot just about anything that comes along?
    04-01-12 04:47 PM
    A very negative consumer "image" is being created by:

1. The absence of mainstream consumer apps like Netflix, Skype.
    2. The arrogance of RIM by totally ignoring their loyal customers to even comment on the issue.
    3. Their incompetence to be able to make a public statement without being misunderstood.

I like my PlayBook, but I do NOT like the way that they communicate to their customers by ignoring them.
    Last edited by CairnsRock; 04-01-12 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Grammar
    04-01-12 05:01 PM
    Makes no sense, NetFlix has time again and again stated that they wont create an app for the BB, but to say that RIM is blocking it, because the want their video streaming is stupid, how about say that RIM will block youtube.........
    Trelaina likes this.
    04-01-12 05:18 PM
    I got a similar response to a query I made to Audible about supporting BB. In essence, I was told Audible had offered their codecs to RIM to support natively but RIM had not responded to their overture for licensing. I think the big app vendors are throwing the ball to RIM's court at the moment in terms of financial risk.
    isthisidused likes this.
    04-01-12 09:43 PM
    A very negative consumer "image" is being created by:

1. The absence of mainstream consumer apps like Netflix, Skype.
    2. The arrogance of RIM by totally ignoring their loyal customers to even comment on the issue.
    3. Their incompetence to be able to make a public statement without being misunderstood.

I like my PlayBook, but I do NOT like the way that they communicate to their customers by ignoring them.
    Um... if they say too much without actually having a deal in place (like the Skype icon in AppWorld), they get grilled. If they flat out say that Skype won't be coming, they'll be called idiots for being short-sighted and ignoring user demands.

If things are being worked on, it's best that they don't say anything until there's a deal in place.
    04-01-12 09:54 PM
    He kept talking about how Netflix has reached out to RIM and they need RIMs approval before they can move on with building an app. Then he said he expects a Netflix PB app in the near future.

Can anyone confrim this or is this just BS that Netflix is using to diffuse PB owner anger?
    this does make sense

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    04-01-12 10:02 PM
    Um... if they say too much without actually having a deal in place (like the Skype icon in AppWorld), they get grilled. If they flat out say that Skype won't be coming, they'll be called idiots for being short-sighted and ignoring user demands.

If things are being worked on, it's best that they don't say anything until there's a deal in place.
    BB users have asking for Skype for over 3 years.
    04-01-12 10:05 PM
    BB users have asking for Skype for over 3 years.
    In the U.S., it's available only for Verizon BB phone users. Perhaps there's some exclusivity deal between Skype and Verizon?
    04-01-12 10:15 PM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD