So I just called Netflix Canada and talked to a rep over the phone. I asked if it's true that they will not be supporting a Netflix PB app and the rep went on a 1 minute long explanation of how "it's up to Blackberry right now" and "we [netflix] are waiting to hear back from them so we can go ahead and build an app".

In his first couple sentences the rep said that netflix is currently "incompatible" with the PB. Then the rep told me that for some reason they need RIM to help build a netflix app. At this point I thought he was BSing me because he knew I was going to cancel. He kept talking about how Netflix has reached out to RIM and they need RIMs approval before they can move on with building an app. Then he said he expects a Netflix PB app in the near future.

Can anyone confrim this or is this just BS that Netflix is using to diffuse PB owner anger?
    03-31-12 01:11 PM
    Confirm? Not me. I can only come up with a couple of non-BS interpretations of such a statement:
    1. The rep is suggesting that the only way that Netflix is considering of providing content to QNX/BB10 is via MS's already-sunset Silverlight platform, and that it's up to RIM to include Silverlight support in their browser.
    2. It may be that Netflix expects RIM to sign a licensing agreement, perhaps including fees paid by RIM to Netflix, before they commit resources to the building of an app.

If someone can actually confirm that there is a path being considered to provide Netflix on the PB, that would be somewhat encouraging in and of itself.
    Last edited by cletis; 03-31-12 at 01:22 PM.
    03-31-12 01:17 PM
    unless such an app would immediately work on the BB10 for PB surely it is pointless to develop at this stage?.. since we know PB gets BB10?
    03-31-12 01:19 PM
    Here is good insight into why Netflix isn't building a PB app yet.

As for the "PB is incompatible" statement made by the rep, I have to assume he meant that its incompatible through the PB browser and that an app is required to be able to view Netflix.
    03-31-12 01:22 PM
    I spoke to a Netflix rep a few months ago and got same explanation. But then they go on Tweeter and announced that they will not support the playbook. So, either the reps don't know what the heck they're talking about or people at the top of both companies are lying.
    03-31-12 01:24 PM
    unless such an app would immediately work on the BB10 for PB surely it is pointless to develop at this stage?.. since we know PB gets BB10?
    Well, since the Playbook OS is essentially BB10. I'm assuming, in theory, it would work with BB10 phones as well, so I think there is definitely still incentive to developing...

But you know what they say about assuming...
    03-31-12 01:28 PM
    Netflix says they need RIMs help. Tunein said RIM was holding their app back. Skype says RIM made an app but ditched it to please carriers. Viber says they are struggling to get their app to be compatible with RIMs products. The only people not commenting on any of this are RIM. At some point you have to say they actually don't want important apps on their ecosystem, as strange as that may seem.
    03-31-12 01:29 PM
    Netflix says they need RIMs help. Tunein said RIM was holding their app back. Skype says RIM made an app but ditched it to please carriers. Viber says they are struggling to get their app to be compatible with RIMs products. The only people not commenting on any of this are RIM. At some point you have to say they actually don't want important apps on their ecosystem, as strange as that may seem.
    A little too strange, if you ask me
    03-31-12 01:34 PM
    More FUD. Less is more is my mantra; besides, netflix will be hx soon.
    madman0141 likes this.
    03-31-12 01:40 PM
    why would RIM want Netflix on their devices? To compete with their video store? Skype is another story as the PB video chat is Blackberry to Blackberry (like facetime on iOS) so it would not hurt to have it for cross platform chat.
    03-31-12 01:41 PM
    Just speculating: If all the traffic to the PB is through the secure BB network, could they be concerned about overloading their servers and reducing overall performance?
    03-31-12 01:50 PM
    Just speculating: If all the traffic to the PB is through the secure BB network, could they be concerned about overloading their servers and reducing overall performance?
    That's a good point. I still don't understand why/how we pb owners get access to the NOC without paying a monthly fee. Pretty sure the 4g pb is gonna be insanely cool
    03-31-12 01:55 PM
    Then they should be blocking YouTube.
    Thunderbuck and darktoy like this.
    03-31-12 01:55 PM
    That's a good point. I still don't understand why/how we pb owners get access to the NOC without paying a monthly fee. Pretty sure the 4g pb is gonna be insanely cool
    Unless your bridging your blackberry and using your phones data plan I don't believe your playbook has access to the NOC.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-31-12 02:13 PM
    So I just called Netflix Canada and talked to a rep over the phone.
    <SNIP>

Any comments that follow a statement involving a rep can be pretty much disregarded.
    03-31-12 02:14 PM
    1. There is no BB network. The network is owned and operated by the cell carrier. The traffic that travels over that network between a BB/PB, the RIM NOC, and a corporate BES(X) server is encrypted.
    2. The only PB traffic that touches the RIM NOC is native email traffic. HTTP traffic does not go through the NOC; it travels directly between the device and the web server.

Edit: In addition to native email traffic, I forgot App World and OTA OS updates in point 2 above.
    Last edited by cletis; 03-31-12 at 06:48 PM.
    03-31-12 02:24 PM
    The Customer service Reps don't know nothing.
    I bet they were in the break room and someone heard a Rumor about
    RIM not wanting to build and App for them and it got spread between all
    the reps.
    Go ahead call the reps and ask them specific questions about their infrastructure
    and what sources Netflix uses to stream over the net. They will put you on hold.
    Heck even the higher knowledge Samsung,LG,ect Reps that come into my store
    don't have a clue about their companies future projects or even specific details
    about the phones internals.
    I will believe this when Netflix themselves issues such a statement.
    Rob Robertson likes this.
    03-31-12 02:38 PM
    Don't forget to sign the petition in my sig bellow.
    03-31-12 02:42 PM
    Unless your bridging your blackberry and using your phones data plan I don't believe your playbook has access to the NOC.
    Sure it does:

http://crackberry.com/further-explan...-playbook-os-2

-AppWorld
    -OTA Updates
    -Email
    -There's probably more
    SnoozerBold likes this.
    03-31-12 02:44 PM
    Don't forget to sign the petition in my sig bellow.
    Nice! There are almost 6,700 signatures
    03-31-12 02:48 PM
    Confirm? Not me. I can only come up with a couple of non-BS interpretations of such a statement:
    [LIST=1][*]The rep is suggesting that the only way that Netflix is considering of providing content to QNX/BB10 is via MS's already-sunset Silverlight platform, and that it's up to RIM to include Silverlight support in their browser.
    NetFlix actually streams in non-silverlight as well... for iPhone/iPad client they use HTML5 streaming ... and Silverlight does not exist for the iOS ....
    03-31-12 03:02 PM
    Guys, keep in mind that if Netflix is a native app written with C/C++, there is STILL no native UI framework for the Playbook. That means that it would be incredibly hard for them to incorporate simple elements such as scrolling lists, buttons, and even text fields into the app, since they would have to be essentially coding these things from scratch. Until RIM and TAT release Cascades, we probably won't see native apps like Netflix.
    03-31-12 03:12 PM
    Sure it does:

http://crackberry.com/further-explan...-playbook-os-2

-AppWorld
    -OTA Updates
    -Email
    -There's probably more
    Oh I didn't realize this. Learn something new every day.
    03-31-12 03:49 PM
    When talking to a support rep last week we were killing time doing the in and out with the battery. He was asking me what I used my PlayBook for etc. Then he mentioned that both skype and netflix would be coming to the playbook later this year. This was unsolicited by me, he mentioned them not me. So maybe there is hope.
    03-31-12 03:52 PM
    why would RIM want Netflix on their devices? To compete with their video store? Skype is another story as the PB video chat is Blackberry to Blackberry (like facetime on iOS) so it would not hurt to have it for cross platform chat.
    Consumer.

Do you want to steal iOS/Android users? Appeal to what those OSes offer. Simple. That's why I went to iOS until RIM gets their act together with BB10.

I promised myself to save my upgrade this year to check out BB10 at the store BEFORE purchasing.
    03-31-12 03:53 PM
76 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD