Has anyone tried the Netflix app in the android player?
    11-02-11 07:56 AM
    I recall an excel graph that indicated it didnt work yet.
    11-02-11 08:18 AM
    Yeah we tested a half a dozen netflix builds, all fail. Netflix is tough because they buddied up with Microsoft and rely heavily on Silverlight. Which is a nice idea, but being a Microsoft video format they have never supported other non-Windows platforms.

i.e. Netflix still is very difficult to use on Linux, QNX, etc.

I'd email Netflix and ask them when they plan on providing a Flash interface. That would fix it.
    11-02-11 09:01 AM
    If they'd switch to HTML5, everyone would be golden.
    11-02-11 09:12 AM
    i.e. Netflix still is very difficult to use on Linux, QNX, etc.
    How do the hardware manufacturers get Netflix on their devices, such as BlueRay Players, TVs, and AppleTV?

My impression of the last few devices I have gotten Netflix on is that they are running some sort of embedded unix OS. With the new SDK from Rim, is it possible to get the SDK from Netflix and just make a NetFlix player for a Playbook?
    11-02-11 09:14 AM
    How do the hardware manufacturers get Netflix on their devices, such as BlueRay Players, TVs, and AppleTV?

My impression of the last few devices I have gotten Netflix on is that they are running some sort of embedded unix OS. With the new SDK from Rim, is it possible to get the SDK from Netflix and just make a NetFlix player for a Playbook?
    I think the main issue for Netflix on PlayBook is about DRM for playing HD content. Look at this article regarding SD vs HD certification... worth to note, the certified TI SoC is the same OMAP4 family used on the Playbook :-)
    Wolf.
    11-02-11 09:19 AM
    worth to note, the certified TI SoC is the same OMAP4 family used on the Playbook :-)
    Wolf.
    And if you read deeper in this area, you will find out that the way TI is making it work in Android --- is to use the hardware virtualization/hypervisor in the ARM chip (trustzone) to boot up a second OS (a secure OS called Trusted Foundations from Trusted Logic) to handle the DRM (the DRM is PlayReady which is licensed from Microsoft).

RIM doesn't have to do this over-complicated setup with the Playbook --- because QNX already has a certified "secure" kernel and RIM's cryptographic subsidiary (Certicom) knows how to make a DRM module (Certicom wrote the DRM module for XM Satellite radio).

It is going to take longer for RIM because they are doing everything themselves. But it will be a simpler setup than Android booting up a second OS just to watch netflix.
    11-02-11 01:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD