here is a link to the idea that next event may be a... 'non-event'; and the paper is already commented on slashdot too...
    One thing that strikes me is this mention that the current apps wouldn't run on Blackberry 10: maybe some of you more knowledgeable than me can have a word on this?
    Other than this, to me RIM still represents the single and only third party outside Apple/Google duopoly, and their development is important to me for this very reason would it be alone...
    09-24-12 07:57 AM
    The G&M article does not "mention that the current apps wouldn't run on BlackBerry 10", so it's hard to say something knowledgeable about what they mean.

BB OS 7 apps do not, of course, work on BB10. PlayBook apps can work, some without change, but probably relatively few without at least a repackaging using the updated SDKs, and possibly tweaks from something as small as screen size to much more significant and costly changes.
    09-24-12 08:20 AM
    The G&M article does not "mention that the current apps wouldn't run on BlackBerry 10", so it's hard to say something knowledgeable about what they mean.
    My mistake. The sentence that struck me was "With increased global smartphone competition and our belief there is a very low probability the market will support RIM’s new BB10 ecosystem..."
    I now can understand it as a move for the phones rather than the Playbook. But even there, the existence of the actual Playbook ecosystem seems to me to guarantee a serious application list on day one...
    (When discussing with deves recently I got the feeling that most of them were investing 90% of their time porting the current PB apps to BB10)
    09-24-12 09:01 AM
    I like the first two paragraphs...

"A decade after Research In Motion Ltd. introduced its first smartphone, the tribe of BlackBerry users has stopped growing.

RIM is in the midst of a long-running slump in sales, but despite that, it has still managed to sell enough devices to keep adding to the BlackBerry user base, albeit slowly. In August, 2011, RIM said it had surpassed 70 million BlackBerry subscribers worldwide; the most recent number, as of early June, was 78 million."

Good and thorough reporting/writing right there.
    diegonei and phylez like this.
    09-24-12 11:30 AM
    Two things:

1- why is this in the PlayBook's boards;

2- G&M? Yeah, like they give a damn about what is true when it comes to BlackBerry.
    madman0141 likes this.
    09-24-12 12:55 PM
    why is this in the PlayBook's boards
    Well, it's about Blackberry, and I felt there were wrong things said there that some of us could correct. Definitely it was not for triggering a reaction in bold letters here.
    09-25-12 04:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD