Hi guys,
    I have searched high and low but this is one thing which i am not able to understand at all. I need a vpn for accessing stuff which normally is blocked in my country, and also to access the us app world. I ve decided to buy a vpn for my computer, I know that we can set a vpn for the playbook but guys can you please let me know the setup instructions and which vpn should i go for? I need to use it both on my computer and my playbook.
    All the settings given in sites which sell vpn do not come close to the playbook settings or it might also be that i have no idea about it.
    Any help is highly appreciated.

EDIT - I just saw the playbook vpnserver accepts only numbers thread....damn..... was really hoping for a solution to this. apologies for posting this again.
    Last edited by aryan77; 07-17-11 at 02:50 PM.
    07-17-11 02:43 PM
    it sounds like you could manage with a proxy server rather than a full-on VPN.
    07-17-11 04:01 PM
    yeah but can u let me know where i could buy a good private https proxy, the free ones are really slow.
    07-17-11 04:48 PM
    I'd like one to access my company's network.
    07-17-11 04:48 PM
    I guess the vpn is as much a mystery to the blackberry community as it is to us ignorant souls. I really cant believe there is not one person who has not set up the vpn for purposes other than connecting to the work network. Gosh i am sure there a lot of people who would love to get the vpn connected. Kevin if you happen to read this please give us a tutorial if you know how, plus please do mention which of the commercially available vpn could we buy so that we could put it on our PB. I just can not believe it is soo easy on the android and iphones/tabs. Thats just not fair.

Edit - Would love to know where i could buy some http proxies with good speed. The free ones are real slow.
    Last edited by aryan77; 07-18-11 at 08:20 AM.
    07-18-11 08:15 AM
    As arieh stated above, you need a proxy NOT a vpn Virtual private network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This really has little to do with a BB and/or a PB, so you will get a better answer at one of the PC related sites. There is nothing to install, just some settings that would need to be changed. Perhaps PCMag, or Networkworld, or better yet a google search for proxy servers.

Good luck!
    07-18-11 01:41 PM
    hi guys,
    I would like to suggest, get vpn from vpn reviews like i use ( https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=fZirwvw8 ) there are lots of provider who are giving that services also it depends of your need that what country, protocol, device, static and more…
    07-19-11 04:00 AM
    As arieh stated above, you need a proxy NOT a vpn Virtual private network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This really has little to do with a BB and/or a PB, so you will get a better answer at one of the PC related sites. There is nothing to install, just some settings that would need to be changed. Perhaps PCMag, or Networkworld, or better yet a google search for proxy servers.

Good luck!
    Thank you amiga, but i do know what a vpn is. if you read my earlier post i am asking for some dependable places where i can buy http proxies as well. I know that it is just settings which is exactly what i am asking... even Fast VPN | Secure Virtual Private Network Connection Setup | VPN Service has tutorials for iphone and android but none for blackberry playbook. the settings of iphone and android are kinda similar and you can figure one out if you know the other, but playbook settings are a total mystery to me. Bestvpn i saw the site but there is no tutorial which comes close to the settings on playbook. Would appreciate it if you provide us with the settings.
    07-19-11 04:53 AM
    for setting up VPN.
    07-19-11 08:19 AM
    Well Pbfan there was a thread earlier and the guy called tech support.....

07-17-2011, 07:54 PM
    Tony1002
    CrackBerry Newbie

Playbook VPN Set Up?
    Although I have always come to this site to get answers I finally signed up. Not sure how everything works here just yet. However I too am having the same issue with VPN and PB. I have set up an incoming VPN connection on my windows XP as has been suggested here and on many youtube videos. However apart from this guide PB
    How to setup Blackberry Playbook VPN � aussecurity
    Which still is too technical for me I haven't been able to find anything else. I called RIM's Tech support and they were asking for info that I wasn't sure exactly what is what. I have signed up with DynDNS and have a domain. I'm using a D-Link DIR-615 wifi router I have the IP addresses of all my BB products that use this wifi (pb and 2 bb smartphones, 1 desktop pc, 2 laptops, and one Mac Desktop)
    I'm only interested in connecting remotely over any internet connection from my playbook to my dell laptop. This is all home based and there are no work servers etc.. just a lap top running win xp with a vpn incoming connection already set up.
    If anyone knows of a video or a guide that not only tells me what I have to put into the PB VPN set up but where exactly can I find it on my end what is required in plain english would be great.
    PLAYBOOK ADD NEW VPN PROFILE
    PROFILE NAME: could this be any profile i choose or something specific?
    SERVER ADDRESS: which server the laptop's the routers or DynDNS?
    GATEWAY TYPE: I have no idea
    AUTHENTICATION TYPE: Dido
    AUTHENTICATION ID: ???
    PRESHARED KEY: ???
    Again I have all the info I believe I need from my D Link router as I have logged in and printed the device info pertaining to my home connections I just don't know what goes where on the PB VPN New connection and where exactly am I to get this info. I'm already using IMT VNC app that I got from appworld and that works fine along with tight vnc but that only works when I'm home and on the same wifi connection. Anyhow I hope I didn't do anything wrong on my first post and I'm glad I finally signed up. I actully signed up in order to enter the contest for the Breaking News for Blackberry app and I still haven't entered the contest yet will be doing that right after this post. And thanks crackberry for all the help I've gotten in the past for my smartphone.

So that dint help... maybe i should try....once more..
    07-19-11 09:00 AM
    Sorry, I can't help you; I can only commiserate. This VPN issue is the ONLY reason I wish I had bought an android tablet. I need a VPN so I can use my PlayBook when I travel to China

But I doubt any developer will bother to make a VPN for the PlayBook as long as there are doubts about the future of both the PlayBook and RIM. RIM doesn't seem to understand that questions about the competence of the company's management actually have an impact on how well their products sell, and, therefore, on how willing developers are to devote time to developing apps for the PlayBook.
    07-19-11 11:59 AM
    Hi all,

Is there any update on this from anyone? I would like to access Facebook, youtube etc on my Playbook in China. If anyone has any solutions I would really appreciate it.
    09-10-11 09:54 PM
    VPN PPTP/L2TP Please !
    09-11-11 04:03 AM
    i know aryan has been asking for this for a while..

apparently VPN does work now with the playbook

my cousin is using one and he is loving it...all the icons which disappeared earlier have reappeared (like face chat and multiple of other apps previously not provided in certain areas and countries)...

he even says its even faster on the playbook than on the PC or even the ifads..

im not sure if i can post the link to the VPN website here...
    09-11-11 04:33 AM
    Could you (or anyone) let me know how to set that up? And make it work?

I use my-private-network, could anyone let me know if I can use that on the Playbook? Or suggest another one if not..

Thanks.
    09-12-11 04:04 AM
    Although I have not personally done this myself ever but I believe Cisco does make a VPN client that can be used on the blackberry platform. About the settings I have seen people log incidents with RIM but they too are clueless. Yes, VPN can be setup on the Playbook but how... someone with a playbook has to sit and figure it out. See if this helps. Also it would help if you actually invest into a VPN solution and then get the manufacturers configure it for you on the playbook.

VPN support on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet
    09-12-11 05:03 AM
    This may be a stupid question, but I finally got my VPN set up and connected to my server with my playbook. Now, how in the heck to I browse my network shares?
    11-12-11 09:54 AM
    you guys are just going on about vpn this vpn that but vpn's are very specific. you need to say what type of vpn gateway you want to connect to. since the clients will be different. I personally would need an OpenVPN client to connect to my OpenVPN server at home( havent looked for any android ones yet) also the playbook does have some built in clients for some of the more common commercial vpn gateways like cisco, checkpoint etc.
    11-12-11 10:13 AM
    This may be a stupid question, but I finally got my VPN set up and connected to my server with my playbook. Now, how in the heck to I browse my network shares?
    A VPN gives you access to the network, like your PlayBook was connected to WiFi at home when you're actually in a coffee shop. It changes absolutely nothing about the PlayBook's capability. If it can't browse the shares on WiFi the VPN doesn't change that. The purpose is for companies with internal websites that can only be accessed on their own network.

As for all those having issues with the PlayBook VPN, your issue relates to the type of VPN. The PlayBook does not support PPTP, L2TP, or OpenVPN. It does have IPsec support, but as far as I can tell it requires an IKEv2 compatible server. If anyone can get an IPsec VPN to work with the PlayBook that's not IKEv2 I'm interested to hear, as I'm less sure about that specific requirement.
    11-12-11 12:32 PM
    A VPN gives you access to the network, like your PlayBook was connected to WiFi at home when you're actually in a coffee shop. It changes absolutely nothing about the PlayBook's capability. If it can't browse the shares on WiFi the VPN doesn't change that. The purpose is for companies with internal websites that can only be accessed on their own network.

As for all those having issues with the PlayBook VPN, your issue relates to the type of VPN. The PlayBook does not support PPTP, L2TP, or OpenVPN. It does have IPsec support, but as far as I can tell it requires an IKEv2 compatible server. If anyone can get an IPsec VPN to work with the PlayBook that's not IKEv2 I'm interested to hear, as I'm less sure about that specific requirement.
    Keep in mind that the new RDP app "should" work to connect to your desktop/servers if you have connected to your work network.
    02-02-12 07:32 AM
    we need a cisco anyconnect client
    02-02-12 07:33 AM
    12vpn.com supports the playbook, they even have a pdf tutorial on how to configure the playbook.
    04-15-12 03:37 AM
    just use amazon proxy , it will help you to get access to the appworld , and for the remote desktop , wait for logmein app or android app to be modified to work correctly on pb
    04-15-12 06:20 AM
    Yep I use 12vpn with my Playbook and it works great.
    04-15-12 07:27 AM
    Go to [url]www.vpnreactor.com .can buy the vpn from the site and it has setup tutorial for playbook.
    05-04-12 01:42 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD