thanks...this is my first BB device. I don't know much about it. I did review it for a few hours prior to purchase, but the issues I am having should not be...so I vent and hope for some help (got some as you can see.)
    You may find you get more help if you don't vent.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-19-11 12:19 PM
    alright 20 off topic posts deleted. i am not going to lock this thread. stay on topic and no more discussion about the modding of CB or conspiracy theories. Either help the OP or move along please
    FF22 likes this.
    12-19-11 12:25 PM
    Why close it? The OP seems a legit enough member and they are asking for help. Some posters are actually try to help the op with great suggestions. This is how forums are suppose to work you know. Sure the first post is a little overly dramatic maybe but nothing worth closing a thread over.
    yes, a bit frustrated. I bought this tablet over the Nook/Kindle because of the speed and the full use of the hardrive. I was OK w/not streaming Netflix (which I have an acct) and Hulu, but now every other site is an issue. I just had it. I also had big issues with the shipment of mine. I ordered on the 24th and many people got theirs after me. It took Mark Chequer to get mine sent. The CS was so bad I am afraid to call tech service at this point. Just looking/hoping for actual answers to these issues. I did read a ton of stuff, but it does not seem others got theirs "fixed"...
    12-19-11 12:26 PM
    i believe he mentioned he can't tether with it...his video streaming problems sounds more like a connection problem than a direct hardware problem. it's possible that his wifi signal could have disconnected and reconnect while he's watching his video and he doesn't realize it.
    I don't think its wifi. I have had this Netgear for a little over a year and had to reset it maybe twice. I always have a strong signal. I never had an issue with video stopping like this on my laptop, nor my sons Lenovo tablet. I starting to worry this is a hardware issue.
    12-19-11 12:30 PM
    tethering, audio, streaming and bluetooth. I provided ample information as to what is wrong.
    12-19-11 12:33 PM
    I believe the place you got your PB from is a third party. RIM tech support is good. They might not be able to help with the tether issue. That is a carrier/phone problem most likely. The audio codec issue is not really an issue. I don't stream movies so I can't comment on that. I would suggest you call verizon and RIM.
    Willard814 and kps88 like this.
    12-19-11 12:33 PM
    none of the issues I found that were like mine seemed to have an answer. Im thinking hardware at this point.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-19-11 01:03 PM
    I believe the place you got your PB from is a third party. RIM tech support is good. They might not be able to help with the tether issue. That is a carrier/phone problem most likely. The audio codec issue is not really an issue. I don't stream movies so I can't comment on that. I would suggest you call verizon and RIM.
    RIM tech support, that is who I will call. Have to say, the support from shop blackberry was so, so bad. I never had a BB product, so that turned me off big time. I was going to get a BB 8530 (just a cheapie for now) to use the bridge. But would lose all sorts of apps and what not with my droid X. Big decision will come in August when I can get an upgrade. I will either wait for the new BB to come out or go with the newest iphone.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-19-11 01:08 PM
    Your confusing tethering and bridge. Bridge works with BB phones only. Tethering can be done with most smartphones but as stated before you have to have it added to your data plan. Verizon can help you with that.
    so many posts noted NO fees for tethering unless with ATT. I may end up rooting the Droid X. I understand the bridge and thought about getting a BB, but decided I would lose too much giving up my Droid X. But I thought it was easier to tether based on many Youtube videos...guess not.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-19-11 01:14 PM
    AT$T charges to use the bridge browser through the bridge app on BB phones. Well they make you add tethering to your data plan to use the bridge browser. The only carrier that does that. Almost all carriers in the US charge to use the tether feature. I know verizon charges to tether but I don't know their details about their plan. Its worth a call to them and see what it would take to add it. It can be used with other devices not just the PB.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-19-11 01:28 PM
    AT$T charges to use the bridge browser through the bridge app on BB phones. Well they make you add tethering to your data plan to use the bridge browser. The only carrier that does that. Almost all carriers in the US charge to use the tether feature. I know verizon charges to tether but I don't know their details about their plan. Its worth a call to them and see what it would take to add it. It can be used with other devices not just the PB.
    Not sure that is true if you use the phone bridge app from rroyy.com. At least I hope not. I have not added tethering, bridge works fine with ATT for me.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-19-11 02:45 PM
    Not sure that is true if you use the phone bridge app from rroyy.com. At least I hope not. I have not added tethering, bridge works fine with ATT for me.
    Correct. I should have mentioned that. The OP is using some driod thing so it doesn't much to him. I was trying to explain the difference between using the bridge app and the tethering most smartphones have.

The word tether and bridge are used interchangeably around here. While the using the bridge may be a form of tethering, outside of the bridge world it means something else. I think it creates some confusion.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-19-11 02:56 PM
    Prior to buying it, I probably spent 2-3 hours reviewing it. The tethering issues seemed to mostly be with ATT blocking their phones from working. Many people on Droid use the tethering and it seemed to work. I did see both good and bad, but the issue that others seemed to have was connecting, I don't have that. But thanks for the info, maybe Verizon does indeed block tethering, others used pdanet and it worked. For me its not.
    All carriers block tethering unless you have agreed to an additional cost data plan.

All carriers allow free Bridging, except AT&T, who considers Bridging the same as tethering, so back to having to agree to a bridge/tether plan with AT&T only.

Lastly, bridging only works if you have a Blackberry phone with OS 5.0 or higher.

I may have missed it, but have you solved this issue yet?
    Last edited by alnamvet68; 12-19-11 at 03:48 PM.
    12-19-11 03:20 PM
    The streaming issues sound wifi related
    12-19-11 03:27 PM
    The streaming issues sound wifi related
    it may end up being wifi...tonight I noticed it kept searching and logging off the wifi. although it seems wifi related, its still a PB issue. I have 2 laptops, ipad2, lenovo ideapad a1 and they have not a single issue. still have to call RIM. at least we r getting somewhere. wifi is an issue.
    12-19-11 07:43 PM

All carriers block tethering unless you have agreed to an additional cost data plan.

All carriers allow free Bridging, except AT&T, who considers Bridging the same as tethering, so back to having to agree to a bridge/tether plan with AT&T only.

Lastly, bridging only works if you have a Blackberry phone with OS 5.0 or higher.

I may have missed it, but have you solved this issue yet?
    thanks for the clarification. seems as if I got confused with Droid's that are rooted. In that case tethering is free. I know I saw many posts on that. I no longer have a warranty so rooting will most likely be done very soon.
    12-19-11 07:44 PM
    thanks for the clarification. seems as if I got confused with Droid's that are rooted. In that case tethering is free. I know I saw many posts on that. I no longer have a warranty so rooting will most likely be done very soon.
    Ummmmm, NO! Tethering is not free.
    12-19-11 08:13 PM
    Ummmmm, NO! Tethering is not free.
    Totally depends on your carrier. I'm with Mobilicity and it's free.

My plan includes unlimited data, is tethering allowed? | Mobilicity
    12-19-11 08:18 PM
    it may end up being wifi...tonight I noticed it kept searching and logging off the wifi. although it seems wifi related, its still a PB issue. I have 2 laptops, ipad2, lenovo ideapad a1 and they have not a single issue. still have to call RIM. at least we r getting somewhere. wifi is an issue.
    Try turning off/on Wifi, that usually fixes problem for me, at least for a while.
    12-19-11 09:40 PM
    it is a wifi issue with the PB and my Netgear WN2000. I was at a mcdonalds for over an hour. they had an ATT hotspot...no issues. watched a whole seinfeld episode and over 40 min of a movie. just tried at home..5 min into Donnie Barasco and it stopped playing. i did a reboot and a Netgear reset/unplug. did not work. any ideas?
    12-20-11 05:44 PM
    I have heard of some issue with the N band. Is that what your using? Try G

Just read this:
    The bad: The Netgear Wireless-N Router WNR2000 has no dual-band, Gigabit, USB, or Guest wireless features. Its Web interface is sluggish at times, and the Parental Control requires software installed on the computer to allow exceptions.

Guess it's only a G
    Last edited by Chaddface; 12-20-11 at 05:57 PM.
    12-20-11 05:54 PM
    I have heard of some issue with the N band. Is that what your using? Try G

Just read this:
    The bad: The Netgear Wireless-N Router WNR2000 has no dual-band, Gigabit, USB, or Guest wireless features. Its Web interface is sluggish at times, and the Parental Control requires software installed on the computer to allow exceptions.

Guess it's only a G
    i have no clue how to change G..it is an N right?
    12-20-11 06:38 PM
    Try turning off/on Wifi, that usually fixes problem for me, at least for a while.
    i also ran into this problem and found the permanent solution on the playbook OS forums, but i'll give you the gist of it right here...you both can go into your router's user settings and change your band settings from mixed B/G/N to single B/G... it has been reported and all but confirmed by rim that the playbook has issues with the N band on N routers.

if you don't know how to go into the router settings simply type the ip address into ANY pc web browser and it should come up...if you don't know your ip address. you can find it in the playbook option settings under wifi.
    12-23-11 05:23 PM
    i have no clue how to change G..it is an N right?
    read my previous post or go into the playbook OS forums and you'll find 2 threads concerning the latest os update and the wifi problems you are having. a detailed solution can be found around pages 6-8...i understand the headache you are having about this and believe me the switch worked.
    12-23-11 05:28 PM
    i also ran into this problem and found the permanent solution on the playbook OS forums, but i'll give you the gist of it right here...you both can go into your router's user settings and change your band settings from mixed B/G/N to single B/G... it has been reported and all but confirmed by rim that the playbook has issues with the N band on N routers.

if you don't know how to go into the router settings simply type the ip address into ANY pc web browser and it should come up...if you don't know your ip address. you can find it in the playbook option settings under wifi.
    I can do that at home, but how do I do this at work which is where I have most of this problem?
    12-23-11 05:28 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD