I know RIM is supposed to come out with some major OS upgrade in February, so I still decided to purchase the PB. I really do hope it comes because I will end up giving this thing to my near 4 year old daughter if it does not. I really LOVE the way the PB looks and the OS system is very smooth and friendly. However, I have some major issues that can no longer be ignored.

Tethering: I have tried EVERYTHING to get the PB and my Droid X to tether. I used PDANet and it still wont work. I have Verizon wireless. I thought ATT was the issue, not Verizon. I can get them to pair and connect, but tethering refuses to work. Big reason why I got this PB...not working.

Streaming Videos: Crackle, Amazon, HBO GO, Channel 131 and others...simply do not work. I got 1/2 way through Stepbrothers on Crackle..then it stopped. I tried other videos and same thing. They stream for a bit (5-20 minutes) then stop!! I knew Netflix and Hulu was not an option, but others "claim" these other sites work. How can the PB stream for almost an hour at one point and then just stop? I figured I had HBO and would use some other sites to stream. NOT A SINGLE SITE ACTUALLY WORKS!!!!!

Movie transfer: OK, this works fine now that I use ANY VIDEO CONVERTER, however it takes a long time to convert it. I thought this PB played all sorts of video files. Now I read only mp3 for sound??? Again, its not a huge deal but c'mon.

APPS: I knew the apps were decent at best and actually found a few nice ones. I am not at all surprised by the apps and what the shortcomings are. However, RIM is supposed to have this major upgrade, so if it does not come then this PB will be given to my young daughter..simply not worth it w/out this big upgrade that was "promised". Now I am getting worried, I can't imagine others who paid $500+.

Blackberry Bridge: I may end up with a BB phone. If the PB had the apps, then I would use a BB but it does not. But I honestly thought the tethering would be fine since others claim it works.

WiFi: Not a single issue. Seems quite fast to me. The OS is wonderful and smooth. Internet works great. I have yet been able to really use many of the apps because I don't seem to need them when I am at home.

I do like the PB and want to love it. But how can anyone love this thing with all these issues. I knew going in about the apps, lack of netflix/kindle, etc. but all the other stuff was supposed to be cool, it's not.
    12-19-11 09:47 AM
    If your having tethering issues you should call your carrier. They be able to help.
    12-19-11 09:55 AM
    Insofar as your tethering efforts, you do know that Verizon requires that you subscribe to an additional tether data plan. If you have already signed up for that extra charge plan, then perhaps a call to Verizon might solve that issue, since it does appear to be a carrier issue, and not a hardware issue. There are numerous posts here regarding tethering issues, and most didn't understand that tethering is not free.
    kps88 and Willard814 like this.
    12-19-11 09:58 AM
    I agree with you 100% on the movie issue you raised, I have about 500 movies on my computer none of them with mp3 sound its so annoying they all pay with no sound. Like come on RIM there is so many movie formats you could have chosen and you choose the most obscure one
    kps88 and Willard814 like this.
    12-19-11 10:03 AM
    many problems that most of people don't have.
    Willard814 and alnamvet68 like this.
    12-19-11 10:04 AM
    mp3 only for movies is not correct.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-19-11 10:13 AM
    12-19-11 10:18 AM
    Try Open Garden Wi-fi tethering. It worked for my rooted Thunderbolt.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-19-11 10:18 AM
    I know RIM is supposed to come out with some major OS upgrade in February, so I still decided to purchase the PB. I really do hope it comes because I will end up giving this thing to my near 4 year old daughter if it does not. I really LOVE the way the PB looks and the OS system is very smooth and friendly. However, I have some major issues that can no longer be ignored.

Tethering: I have tried EVERYTHING to get the PB and my Droid X to tether. I used PDANet and it still wont work. I have Verizon wireless. I thought ATT was the issue, not Verizon. I can get them to pair and connect, but tethering refuses to work. Big reason why I got this PB...not working.

Streaming Videos: Crackle, Amazon, HBO GO, Channel 131 and others...simply do not work. I got 1/2 way through Stepbrothers on Crackle..then it stopped. I tried other videos and same thing. They stream for a bit (5-20 minutes) then stop!! I knew Netflix and Hulu was not an option, but others "claim" these other sites work. How can the PB stream for almost an hour at one point and then just stop? I figured I had HBO and would use some other sites to stream. NOT A SINGLE SITE ACTUALLY WORKS!!!!!

Movie transfer: OK, this works fine now that I use ANY VIDEO CONVERTER, however it takes a long time to convert it. I thought this PB played all sorts of video files. Now I read only mp3 for sound??? Again, its not a huge deal but c'mon.

APPS: I knew the apps were decent at best and actually found a few nice ones. I am not at all surprised by the apps and what the shortcomings are. However, RIM is supposed to have this major upgrade, so if it does not come then this PB will be given to my young daughter..simply not worth it w/out this big upgrade that was "promised". Now I am getting worried, I can't imagine others who paid $500+.

Blackberry Bridge: I may end up with a BB phone. If the PB had the apps, then I would use a BB but it does not. But I honestly thought the tethering would be fine since others claim it works.

WiFi: Not a single issue. Seems quite fast to me. The OS is wonderful and smooth. Internet works great. I have yet been able to really use many of the apps because I don't seem to need them when I am at home.

I do like the PB and want to love it. But how can anyone love this thing with all these issues. I knew going in about the apps, lack of netflix/kindle, etc. but all the other stuff was supposed to be cool, it's not.

To fix your audio issue, simply run virtualdub mod set video to direct processing and convert audio to mp3 or wma. This entire process takes about 7mins on a 2gb ram 2.4ghz win7 pc and it lets me play the movie just fine. Your time is wasted converting the video which is unnecessary. As for streaming i dont know your issues i have zero problems with mine
    12-19-11 10:19 AM
    wow, look, someone with fewer than 10 posts starting a negative PB thread. how creative.
    How can a person start with large number of posts if PB is the first RIM product he/she purchased? OP's concerns are all valid, some issues i don't have but many others are there.
    Willard814 and CanadianThomas like this.
    12-19-11 10:24 AM

When you say you're having trouble streaming is that on WIFI or during tethering? During tethering it does suck sometimes because of BT connectivity. You should have no problems on WIFI though, try clearing your browser cache and see if that helps.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-19-11 10:26 AM
    When you say you're having trouble streaming is that on WIFI or during tethering? During tethering it does suck sometimes because of BT connectivity. You should have no problems on WIFI though, try clearing your browser cache and see if that helps.
    i believe he mentioned he can't tether with it...his video streaming problems sounds more like a connection problem than a direct hardware problem. it's possible that his wifi signal could have disconnected and reconnect while he's watching his video and he doesn't realize it.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-19-11 10:41 AM
    I would recommend less time figuring things out yourself and hitting the forums, using the search bar and at times calling RIM customer support.

What seems to be the problem for some, at least on a technical standpoint, is you're using methods that would work on another platform.

But anything regarding applications you do have a very valid point, they are lacking, the native browser can only get a person so far.
    dbeir and Willard814 like this.
    12-19-11 11:15 AM
    usually i start with bridging would save them over $300 on a separate plan for different tablet...and 2nd i would say that after spending over 200 bucks on a piece of hardware i would learn to like it even with it's shortcomings, you can't tell me that you were better off before you had it because it's not like it's costing you more money after you bought it...just saying.
    I keep hearing this. Probably some carriers have this limitation but for me bridging is a severe limitation on PB as that's the only way to get essential apps (email, calendar). Here in Canada, we don't get unlimited data plans but tethering is not extra.

I can see why BB users like PB a lot more than non BB users but don't confuse that with many others (more people are without BB phones).
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-19-11 11:27 AM
    Insofar as your tethering efforts, you do know that Verizon requires that you subscribe to an additional tether data plan. If you have already signed up for that extra charge plan, then perhaps a call to Verizon might solve that issue, since it does appear to be a carrier issue, and not a hardware issue. There are numerous posts here regarding tethering issues, and most didn't understand that tethering is not free.
    Prior to buying it, I probably spent 2-3 hours reviewing it. The tethering issues seemed to mostly be with ATT blocking their phones from working. Many people on Droid use the tethering and it seemed to work. I did see both good and bad, but the issue that others seemed to have was connecting, I don't have that. But thanks for the info, maybe Verizon does indeed block tethering, others used pdanet and it worked. For me its not.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-19-11 11:34 AM
    I agree with you 100% on the movie issue you raised, I have about 500 movies on my computer none of them with mp3 sound its so annoying they all pay with no sound. Like come on RIM there is so many movie formats you could have chosen and you choose the most obscure one
    yes, how could I possibly figure the sound issue when so many video formats are supposed to work. I found this out after I got it and while I did get over the issue, its a pain to convert. another poster mentions a way to do it w/out converting video so I thank him and try that...hope it works for you too!
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-19-11 11:36 AM
    Please, you can't be taking issue with this persons post. How? These are legitimate issues a person has with a purchase and this is a site where people chat about that company.

This whole trolling witch hunt on this site is getting out of hand. Let it go, this is not the thread for it. IMHO.
    Agreed. The OP has legit concerns and questions and what better place to ask them than here.
    Willard814 and kps88 like this.
    12-19-11 11:45 AM
    Prior to buying it, I probably spent 2-3 hours reviewing it. The tethering issues seemed to mostly be with ATT blocking their phones from working. Many people on Droid use the tethering and it seemed to work. I did see both good and bad, but the issue that others seemed to have was connecting, I don't have that. But thanks for the info, maybe Verizon does indeed block tethering, others used pdanet and it worked. For me its not.
    Your confusing tethering and bridge. Bridge works with BB phones only. Tethering can be done with most smartphones but as stated before you have to have it added to your data plan. Verizon can help you with that.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-19-11 11:46 AM
    mp3 only for movies is not correct.
    just seems that way. but still many seem to have this issue. I only knew about it after I got it.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-19-11 12:03 PM
    http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...English%29.pdf

Supported media formats and combinations
    sweet! Thanks for the link. I see why I may have had an issue..the AVI. All the videos that I have to transfer are AVI and none seem to have the mp3 audio..makes a bit more sense. Its a whole combination that I never thought of (most others I bet too). This helps. Thanks!
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-19-11 12:07 PM
    many problems that most of people don't have.
    sadly lots of people do.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-19-11 12:09 PM
    Try Open Garden Wi-fi tethering. It worked for my rooted Thunderbolt.
    actually thinking of rooting my Droid. that may fix this issue
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-19-11 12:10 PM
    To fix your audio issue, simply run virtualdub mod set video to direct processing and convert audio to mp3 or wma. This entire process takes about 7mins on a 2gb ram 2.4ghz win7 pc and it lets me play the movie just fine. Your time is wasted converting the video which is unnecessary. As for streaming i dont know your issues i have zero problems with mine
    Thank you. I will try this at home later today.

Streaming..issues with all sorts of sites, except Youtube now that I think about it. I have a strong wifi so I don't think its an issue. I don't have wifi issues while surfing.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-19-11 12:13 PM
    How can a person start with large number of posts if PB is the first RIM product he/she purchased? OP's concerns are all valid, some issues i don't have but many others are there.
    thanks...this is my first BB device. I don't know much about it. I did review it for a few hours prior to purchase, but the issues I am having should not be...so I vent and hope for some help (got some as you can see.)
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-19-11 12:14 PM
    it is during wifi. I don't have these issues with my laptop and my sons lenovo ideapad a1...so that is why I grew concerned. I can't tether.
    I will try to clean browser and see how that works. With BB/RIM being so busy because of the sale I did not even bother with tech support. will try soon enough though.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-19-11 12:18 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD