I have a laptop, netbook, Nook e-reader and a Blackberry. Why would I want or need the Playbook? I have been looking at it and would love to get one but my husband will ask why. What can I do with it that I can't do with one of my other electronics?
    01-18-11 06:22 PM
    I have a laptop, netbook, Nook e-reader and a Blackberry. Why would I want or need the Playbook? I have been looking at it and would love to get one but my husband will ask why. What can I do with it that I can't do with one of my other electronics?
    Depending what you do with your laptop and netbook, the PB can replace both, but be carried in your pocket. It can also be an e-reader.

It's going to be instant on, compared to the laptop and netbook so no waiting time plus will have a longer battery life.

Or just say 'pleeeeeeeassseee' and use some 'personal' bribery ;-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-11 06:30 PM
    Want and need are two different things. Doesn't really sound like you need it...

I would pitch it as a replacement for the netbook, plus it could do some duty as a media device in the home. I could see connecting to a TV and streaming Netflix for instance. The size and camera quality make it suitable for shooting kid or pet activities and such if that is something you do. BB cameras are OK but still pretty small especially for sports. The PB could shoot in HD and then play it back on the spot for instant replays. Mounted in the car, it could do GPS duty. Just a few things off the top of my head. You could do most of that with your existing gear, but it would probably be a little more cumbersome and you won't look as cool doing it...
    01-18-11 06:35 PM
    This is how you sell it to your Hubby.

The Playbook Fits in your Purse and connects to your Blackberry for Data, your netbook can't do that, you can now download your ebooks while you are out.
    You'll be able to access full webpages when out shopping and can compare prices to save you money, your blackberry screen is just too small to do this.

and really you could offer your netbook to him since you'd probably stop using it, you'd use the Laptop when you have space for a keyboard, and you'd use the Playbook when on the go
    I am looking to get a PB to replace my laptop use in my store front... trying to also find reasons to go out and get one.
    And if none of the above recommendations work you simply cut him off till he lets you buy a Playbook
    01-18-11 06:59 PM
    My wife and I are both getting the Wifi version so we can use the other 60 per cent of our unlimited plan, lol. All kidding aside, we are looking to replace our daily newspaper subscription to digital version. In addition to reading newspapers, books and magazines on-the-go, we would like to use it as our person web surfing gadget. We both have the Torch but we prefer to check the web on a slight bigger screen, not as big as the Ipad because then it wouldn't be portable. My wife is a lawyer so she is hoping app developers will eventually develop some legal apps that are currently available on IOS platform for QNX. Other than that I am hoping be able to live stream all the European futbol matches while chatting(talking trash more like it) with all my friends through my BBM groups.

I just love the multitask feature on the PB and as for the tethering or pairing, wow, I am sold. Sign me up because I don't want to line up.
    01-18-11 07:41 PM
    Tell him no PlayBook no BedPlay

Seriously though it sounds like more of a want and not a real need.

Actually very few people would actually need one.
    01-18-11 08:25 PM
    sell the netbook and the nook and get a good amount of $ towards the PB and have one less device to keep up with
    01-18-11 10:11 PM
    i just think it would be a little more convenient when traveling. I came up with that conclusion while justifying this possible purchase. As Daps stated, it is more of a want rather than a need.
    01-18-11 11:35 PM
    sell the netbook and the nook and get a good amount of $ towards the PB and have one less device to keep up with
    that sounds like a good $ plan
    01-18-11 11:38 PM
    I'm thinikng just like everyone. The PlayBook is going to replace 2 out of the 3 device you mention. Its much more powerful then a nook and more portable then a netbook or laptop. Kill two birds with one stone.

01-19-11 01:01 AM
    I agree with thymaster it will replace 2 devices either sell the netbook or make someone else happy and same with the nook and really permission!? I'd say buy one haha.

01-19-11 01:27 AM
    For me the PlayBook won't replace my Nook. I bought the Nook and not the Nook Color because of its E-Ink. The PB doesn't have E-Ink and therefore doesn't compete with the Nook at all, imo.
    01-19-11 07:35 AM
    I agree. You can't replace a dedicated e-reader (I use Kindle) with a tablet. Totally different experience.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    01-19-11 07:40 AM
    While I tend to agree with that about e-ink, for a lot of people a tablet will be a suitable replacement and even b&n think so with the release of the nook color.
    01-19-11 07:50 AM
    For me the PlayBook won't replace my Nook. I bought the Nook and not the Nook Color because of its E-Ink. The PB doesn't have E-Ink and therefore doesn't compete with the Nook at all, imo.
    I agree. You can't replace a dedicated e-reader (I use Kindle) with a tablet. Totally different experience.
    I am on the....er.....same page as you both. My eyes prefer reading e-ink versus any kind of LCD/computer/tablet screen.

I want a PlayBook, but now that I am getting an iPhone for my wife, the PB may have to wait a while.
    01-19-11 09:44 AM
    Need a rerason to get one? How 'bout you just want one real bad! That's gonna work for me. Funny how I somehow went from not wanting a tablet to gotta have a PB )

01-19-11 01:30 PM
    Need a rerason to get one? How 'bout you just want one real bad! That's gonna work for me. Funny how I somehow went from not wanting a tablet to gotta have a PB )

hmmm almost the same here, the only other reason i have besides its so cool is my 17" laptop is hard to use in class at college and 7" tablet would be perfect
    01-19-11 05:29 PM
    I need something small.
    My MacBook is to big (for my taste) to travel with. I have a netbook, but I HATE Windows OS. The iPad is just a big iPod Touch.

The PlayBook will give me the portability of the netbook (even better) but without the hassle of Windows, and better computing power than the iPad.
    01-19-11 11:56 PM
    IMO, the PB would compliment your BlackBerry experience and use, it wouldnt replace your nook, though it could; it won't replace your laptop, I doubt that highly; but it may put your netbook out of business. I wont even consider replacing my Kindle, my netbook was given away shortly after purchasing it because its not really as easy to carry around and use as I thought, plus its just slow. I think the PlayBook will just fit that perfect spot between browsing on the go that the BlackBerry is just to small to do ant the netbook and laptop are just to big to do.
    01-20-11 12:23 AM
    hmmm almost the same here, the only other reason i have besides its so cool is my 17" laptop is hard to use in class at college and 7" tablet would be perfect
    Wut? A tablet would be a hideous disaster for school work, considering it would not be a device for quick note taking and would not be easy to actually TAKE NOTES ON, it would be pretty horrific.
    01-20-11 12:51 AM
    I got the best reason for all: my laptop was stolen while my wife was borrowing it. I need a replacement
    01-20-11 05:37 AM
    Wut? A tablet would be a hideous disaster for school work, considering it would not be a device for quick note taking and would not be easy to actually TAKE NOTES ON, it would be pretty horrific.
    Haha I have a few "quick notes" classes where its usually only half a page per lecture. And we have an online textbook I could access with the PlayBook instead of bringing the book to class

01-20-11 08:08 AM
    Can't wait for one, no reason needed, it will be mine!
    01-22-11 10:20 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD