My 9630 tour (which I bought used on craigslist because my last bb crapped out before my 2 year verizon contract was up and I needed a go-between) is having a lot of trouble with the browser freezing up/not loading. So, I'm in the market for a new (or used/refurbished) blackberry. I love the bridge with my pb, and would probably change to an android phone or something if I didn't love the bridge functionality so much.

I came to this forum so that I can avoid any issues the pb may have with certain bb phones.

For the phone, I do not want a touch screen, would prefer a 3.2 or better megapixel camera, and need a good browser. I also don't want to pay more than $125 (used/refurbished/verizon-ready).

What phones do you all think would best fit my needs?

Thank you!
    07-21-12 03:19 PM
    With what you're preferences are, I would suggest the Curve 9310. It's $49.99 with a new 2 year contract.
    07-21-12 03:48 PM
    Where I am you can get an Bold 9700 for under $125 for sure, got mine near mint with all accessories for $90

Whip on OS6 for the browser, but be aware of the "page is to large" error. Aim for a 9780 but 9700 is also good

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    07-21-12 04:00 PM
    I was stupid and sold my 9630, but to redeem myself, I found a brand new (old stock) 8530 curve for $30. Bridges just as well as tour, and I didn't need a contract.

Going from the tour, only thing I miss is the nicer keyboard, but I gained wifi capability.
    07-21-12 04:39 PM
    If you want to go for an OS7 BlackBerry, then the newest Curve is about it right now. I had an OS6 phone before and it would sometimes reboot itself when I was bridged. Might've just been the 1 I had, but OS7 really works the best for bridging with the PlayBook.
    07-21-12 05:13 PM
    um using 9900 it's perfect..
    07-21-12 05:26 PM
    Well yes naturally, but if you don't want a touch screen...
    07-21-12 06:10 PM
    At first i had the top of the range bold 9900 but i couldn't get to grips with it, so i swapped. Infact i downgraded to the 9300 curve and by gum the marriage of playbook and curve is perfect.
    07-21-12 06:15 PM
    I got my 9930/verizon for FREE during a BestBuy Presidents' Day Sale. But there have been similar offers for $99 from them and Amazon and Radio Shack. You do have to extend your contract.
    07-21-12 06:22 PM
    I just got a 9900 (convinced TMob to match the Best Buy $99 offer). But if you don't want a touch screen, the 9780 works very well, as does the 9700. (I used both with my PB - the 9780 was better because of more memory.)
    07-21-12 09:56 PM
    Yeah it is. But the op is not going to find one for 125.00.

Sent from my flip-phone.
    07-21-12 09:59 PM
    I just got a 9900 (convinced TMob to match the Best Buy $99 offer). But if you don't want a touch screen, the 9780 works very well, as does the 9700. (I used both with my PB - the 9780 was better because of more memory.)
    Verizon would not even discuss it when there was a $129 offer never mind the one I got for free!
    07-22-12 01:03 AM
    Where I am you can get an Bold 9700 for under $125 for sure, got mine near mint with all accessories for $90

Whip on OS6 for the browser, but be aware of the "page is to large" error. Aim for a 9780 but 9700 is also good

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    The OP is on Verizon, all the phones the two of you mentioned are GSM phones.
    07-22-12 01:13 AM
    I'd check out a 9300/9330 if you're looking at that price point. I've paired my girlfriend's one to my PB and it works perfectly with 3G speed bridging.
    If you can find a 9780 within your budget though I'd say that's a better all-round phone.
    07-22-12 04:16 AM
    Thank you to all who have replied. I'm still sorting through and reading reviews (and dumping the non-verizon phones).

Who thinks getting another Tour 9630 would be a good/bad idea. I like the phone mostly-like the camera (the newer 5mp ones do not have auto focus and I think I like auto focus, and some of the older phones and "lesser" phones have a 2mp camera which is not acceptable), and aside from wishing the media playback was not so pixilated, that it had a track pad instead of ball, and wishing I didn't have to do hard and soft resets several times per day, it is a good phone.

I'm having a really hard time finding a "perfect" phone for my needs at the previously stated price point. If I could get what I want, guaranteed, for more money, it would be worth it.

So...tour or no tour ($75 on craigslist).

I don't want to downgrade to less resolution, a worse (or more complicated) camera.
    07-22-12 01:29 PM
    Thank you to all who have replied. I'm still sorting through and reading reviews (and dumping the non-verizon phones).

Who thinks getting another Tour 9630 would be a good/bad idea. I like the phone mostly-like the camera (the newer 5mp ones do not have auto focus and I think I like auto focus, and some of the older phones and "lesser" phones have a 2mp camera which is not acceptable), and aside from wishing the media playback was not so pixilated, that it had a track pad instead of ball, and wishing I didn't have to do hard and soft resets several times per day, it is a good phone.

I'm having a really hard time finding a "perfect" phone for my needs at the previously stated price point. If I could get what I want, guaranteed, for more money, it would be worth it.

So...tour or no tour ($75 on craigslist).

I don't want to downgrade to less resolution, a worse (or more complicated) camera.
    The BOLD 9650 seems to fit all of your requirements and is a very nice step-up from the Tour 9630. It has wifi, trackpad and twice the memory of the Tour. Many if not all of your accessories for the 9630 will work on the 9650 too. It is a solid phone that bridges very well with the PlayBook. You should be able to find one for under $100 on Craigslist, Ebay or better yet in the Marketplace right here on CrackBerry. Just search the adds there or place an add of your own under WTB (wanted to buy) and be sure to specify that you want a Verizon branded phone to use on VZW network because you will not be able to register a Sprint phone on VZW and vice versa.

I have had one since they came out and then switched to the 9930 several months ago which is better in every way except for having a poor camera, this is where the 9650 beats the 9930.
    jujulie1969 likes this.
    07-22-12 02:43 PM
    The BOLD 9650 seems to fit all of your requirements and is a very nice step-up from the Tour 9630. It has wifi, trackpad and twice the memory of the Tour. Many if not all of your accessories for the 9630 will work on the 9650 too. It is a solid phone that bridges very well with the PlayBook. You should be able to find one for under $100 on Craigslist, Ebay or better yet in the Marketplace right here on CrackBerry. Just search the adds there or place an add of your own under WTB (wanted to buy) and be sure to specify that you want a Verizon branded phone to use on VZW network because you will not be able to register a Sprint phone on VZW and vice versa.

I have had one since they came out and then switched to the 9930 several months ago which is better in every way except for having a poor camera, this is where the 9650 beats the 9930.
    +1........
    07-22-12 10:28 PM
    Please get a BB if you like a phone with a tiny screen, have limited apps, looks like the previous 5 phones before it, may not be upgradeable to BB10, and is the choice of old men who are afraid of change. If those are the qualities you're looking for in a phone, you can't go wrong (or is it right) with a BB. BUT, if you're looking for a phone that's great at being a phone AND an entertainment device, may I suggest the Samsung S3. With a large gorgeous screen and 4G speed, you'll wonder why you're carrying around the PB in the first place.

*Gets ready for fanboy backlash*
    07-23-12 09:45 AM
    Please get a BB if you like a phone with a tiny screen, have limited apps, looks like the previous 5 phones before it, may not be upgradeable to BB10, and is the choice of old men who are afraid of change. If those are the qualities you're looking for in a phone, you can't go wrong (or is it right) with a BB. BUT, if you're looking for a phone that's great at being a phone AND an entertainment device, may I suggest the Samsung S3. With a large gorgeous screen and 4G speed, you'll wonder why you're carrying around the PB in the first place.

*Gets ready for fanboy backlash*
    If you read the OP's requirements, you'll see the S3 doesn't fit the bill. Your preemptive fanboy comment does not make any other post less vaild. In fact it makes me question your credibility.

I prefer BB phones and I'm neither old or afraid of change. In my opinion BB phones are best at, well, being phones. The messaging is fantastic as well.

I have tried out some others and the expression "jack of all trades, master of none" comes to mind. I will admit I'm jealous of the free time you must have to play games and stare at that beautiful screen.
    FF22 and BLu like this.
    07-23-12 10:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD