After several months with no resolution, the two PB's I own have become nearly useless due to issues staying connected to my WPA2 home WiFi. Every other device we own has zero issues staying connected. Please don't tell me user error or RTFM as there are tons of examples of others experiencing the same. With no reliable network, the PB is pretty much a paper weight.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...w=1118&bih=781

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...w=1118&bih=781
    Last edited by cgull; 07-22-12 at 08:43 AM.
    07-22-12 08:41 AM
    Then how do you explain the others successfully connected?

What have you tried so far to correct it?
    07-22-12 08:52 AM
    Not that this is an ideal solution, but I set my router to '802.11g only' ...when i stopped using the '802.11n and 802.11g' setting it worked / works perfectly with zero disconnects. I just haven't bothered to follow-up on a fix for the N issue because i'm good the way it is.
    07-22-12 09:00 AM
    And there many touchy routers out there well.

I have had no issue with using my Linksys or Delink with the PB.
    07-22-12 09:13 AM
    No problems on WPA2 here as well. Apparently the BlackBerry PlayBook can be picky with WiFi. For the most part it seems like newer routers work, older ones will but after a certain timeframe it becomes spotty as to what will work. Linksys and Dlink routers have for the most part worked.
    Last edited by goku_vegeta; 07-22-12 at 11:14 AM.
    07-22-12 09:17 AM
    I have mine connected to WPA2 as well - always have. I did have some issues a while ago after we added VOIP and it turned out that my old router couldn't handle it. Bought a new router and everything works great. New router - Dlink.
    07-22-12 09:28 AM
    I have absolutely no issues with my playbook connecting to wifi, i think this is why:

When i create a new wifi connection on the playbook and I am sure it is working properly, with the wifi settings on the playbook turned on, i restart the playbook, it works for me.

I can hear shouts of "but you dont need to restart the playbook" but trust me, restarts are good.

Well, good luck with your wiffi issues.
    07-22-12 09:36 AM
    With OS1 I had constant connection troubles, but with OS2 I've had virtually none, using N and WPA2, even though my D-Link 655 router is 50 ft away, in another room. My signal strength is 2 or 3 'bars' (-63 dBm right now) at 65 Mbps.

I suppose it's possible that there is something wrong with your PB, but it's far more likely that the problem is with your router. Please share your details.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    07-22-12 10:02 AM
    I agree, many PB users experienced variuos Wi-Fi issues and I really share your frustration.
    My 2 PBs would constantly disconnect and connect every several minutes with all other devices on my network having no problems. Eventually I fixed it by changing the router settings (in my case I had to disable WMM on my D-Link router) as suggested on these forums after doing some research around here.
    I experience no Wi-Fi problems ever since.
    Maybe with more info someone here could point you in the right direction to have your issue solved.
    07-22-12 10:22 AM
    My friend had a similar problem we did a security swipe and that seemed to help.
    07-22-12 10:30 AM
    I just changed providers, now zero problems. I started suspecting the provider when even my laptop had the disconnect problems on weekends and only occasionally other times.
    Long talks with the providers help desk, they suggested there is no reason for the weekend disconnects.
    I changed two weeks ago to another isp, not a single problem since then.
    07-22-12 10:45 AM
    I would try a different wpa2 wifi connection first. Then work from there.
    07-22-12 10:50 AM
    I currently have no issues with my D-Link DIR-625 / Playbook WPA2 mode .
    I had some issue but it was my router settings.

Here is what I did to fix mine when I was having issues.

First I assigned my PB to its own WiFi IP address in the router by adding the Playbook to the DHCP Reservations List.

Then I maually set my alphanumeric pass-phrase.

Settings
    Enable Auto Channel Scan
    Transmission Rate: Best (Automatic)
    Security Mode: WPA - PERSONAL
    WPA Mode : Auto (WPA or WPA2)
    Cipher Type : AES (Had issues when this was set to TKIP)
    802.11 Mode: 802.11n only .
    Channel Width: 40MHz .
    Channel : 4 .
    Secondary Channel : 8 .

Mine downloads PB OS when you do a securty wipe in less than 30 minutes without a lost connection.
    07-22-12 10:57 AM
    Using WPA2, 802.11 g/n. The only issues I experience is when I turn the wifi off, my Playbook cant seem to find my network when I turn it back on (happens with my Bold 9930 too). Unplugging and then plugging my router back up fixes it.
    07-22-12 11:07 AM
    No issues here and I use 2 wireless routers at home.. a D-Link and a Belkin. And I have 2 playbooks that connect to them. Do you have any issues connecting to public wifi hotspots or only at home? If so it may be your device or a possible corrupt OS.. You may need to wipe and see if it's a software or a hardware problem.
    07-22-12 12:27 PM
    No issues here and I use 2 wireless routers at home.. a D-Link and a Belkin. And I have 2 playbooks that connect to them. Do you have any issues connecting to public wifi hotspots or only at home? If so it may be your device or a possible corrupt OS.. You may need to wipe and see if it's a software or a hardware problem.
    I completely agree with "Lynx'x Claw"... try calling the RIM 1-800 support and doubtless they can talk you thru how to fix this. It is definitely working for most of us so we know it can be fixed.
    07-22-12 01:24 PM
    Once again a RIM product takes the inaccurate fault of human error! I woke up this morning and could not connect to the Internet, but I did not fault my trusted PlayBook, instead I searched for the problem and found the problem rest with my cable company. Hummmmmm, NO home WIFI until Tuesday......no problem....BRIDGE to the rescue....AMAZING, SIMPLY AMAZING!!!
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    07-22-12 01:45 PM
    No problems on WPA2 here as well. Apparently the BlackBerry PlayBook can be picky with WiFi. For the most part it seems like newer routers work, older ones will but after a certain timeframe it becomes spotty as to what will work. Linksys and Dlink routers have for the most part worked.
    Linksys 4200 at home and no problems with 3 PBs but our iPad frequently drops connections. Netgear at work with no problems on 7 PBs and the same iPad works ok on it. I haven't tried a Dlink.

And to the OP, "tons"? A bit of an exaggeration don't you think? You think your PB has some wifi problems? I'll show you problems. I tell you what,don't take my word for it, but go to a couple of iPad forums or Google "iPad wifi problems". Better yet, go to Apples iPad support forum, I have, we had to, many times. Very enlightening reading.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 07-22-12 at 04:17 PM.
    PatrickMJS and lynxs_claw like this.
    07-22-12 04:05 PM
    I'm not saying it doesn't work at all, it just get jacked up and the PB needs to be rebooted, or continuously tries to pull DHCP until it disables the entry. I have a Netgear WNDR3700 with DDWRT and no issues with every other tablet / phone / computer in the house. I loaded OpenWRT on the router to see how that does... hoping the PB plays nice.
    07-22-12 06:58 PM
    I'm not saying it doesn't work at all, it just get jacked up and the PB needs to be rebooted, or continuously tries to pull DHCP until it disables the entry. I have a Netgear WNDR3700 with DDWRT and no issues with every other tablet / phone / computer in the house. I loaded OpenWRT on the router to see how that does... hoping the PB plays nice.
    Did you also check to see that your neighbors wifi is not stepping on your channels? Also if you're using G too that you don't have an older cordless phone causing problems?
    07-22-12 07:22 PM
    It looks like the Netgear WNDR3700 does have a lot of reports of drop outs and lost connections. So tips my help you in this link.
    wndr3700 keeps dropping connection - Page 5 - NETGEAR Forums

Here is what helped one guy......
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    THIS SORTED IT OUT FOR ME:
    - i disabled QoS, and haven't had a drop since. went back once and put it back on, and sure enough, the connection was dropped within minutes.

Another helpful observation: no reboot button on the firmware (immensely dumb), but switching the basic set up screen from "stay connected" to "always on" & back appears to renew the lease of the DSL modem, thus restoring the connection. simple disconnect/reconnect does NOT do that.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    07-22-12 07:39 PM
    Sounds like cockpit problem or hardware issue. In the Oil-Field Patch we have a saying
    like "He's the kind of guy that can F___ up an Iron Ball in a Sand Pit. Reminds me of the
    Judy Collins song "Hard Lovin' Loser" with the lines

'He's the kind of guy
    Goes to start a Maserati
    And puts his key inside
    The wrong little hole.'

Doc Neutron
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    07-22-12 07:44 PM
    Sounds like cockpit problem or hardware issue. In the Oil-Field Patch we have a saying
    like "He's the kind of guy that can F___ up an Iron Ball in a Sand Pit. Reminds me of the
    Judy Collins song "Hard Lovin' Loser" with the lines

'He's the kind of guy
    Goes to start a Maserati
    And puts his key inside
    The wrong little hole.'

Doc Neutron
    Anyone who quotes a Judy Collins song has my respect and admiration.

Dr. Neutron, I appreciate you chiming in here!!! Kinda made my day.
    07-22-12 08:06 PM
    With OS1 I had constant connection troubles, but with OS2 I've had virtually none, using N and WPA2, even though my D-Link 655 router is 50 ft away, in another room. My signal strength is 2 or 3 'bars' (-63 dBm right now) at 65 Mbps.

I suppose it's possible that there is something wrong with your PB, but it's far more likely that the problem is with your router. Please share your details.
    I also have a dir.655 but my pb won't connect to wireless n. Was there any setting that you manually changed that you can pass on? I either have an old 655 or there is a setting I need to change. I have to use wireless g. Instead

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by rebroker2009; 07-23-12 at 12:26 AM. Reason: I hate auto fill
    07-23-12 12:24 AM
    Dropping signal would be expected to be the result of weak or fluctuating signal or perhaps interference. The playbook can give you signal strengths and even logs which might help explain the problem. Is your router plugged into a battery backup power supply?
    Last edited by jpash549bb; 07-23-12 at 12:46 AM.
    07-23-12 12:41 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD