Hey guys, I need some serious help... I have a 32gb PlayBook, and I made a playlist I want to transfer over (that I just made last night) so I can have some tunes in my car without using my Z10...

I have DM 7.1 and BlackBerry Link installed.

I made a playlist in Windows Media player, and then I fired up my trusty Desktop manager, connect my playbook and I go down to music and I get something that says BlackBerry device not detected. So I open up BB link, and go to music, and NON of my playlists exist on BB Link. So I go back into Desktop manager. I fiddle around with a few things, and I click on options and then media, and I see an error that says Media options cannot be displayed. WTF...

I go back into Windows Media Player, make some quick playlists, and they still don't show up in BB link.

Now I am getting really irritated. Anyone else run into this problem? I just want this playlist on my PlayBook. I don't want to transfer each song over, as I do have other songs on my playbook, and I want a quick easy playlist that I created.

Help me.
    02-19-13 06:29 AM
    Playlists (m3u files) are just plain text files - assuming where they are, folder structure wise, is correct with the files they reference, they can be copied as just normal files.

I don't do sync, or use media players to either generate playlists or copy them to my PlayBook or other mp3 players, I use mp3bookhelper to ensure all the tags are good, then have it generate playlist files, and just copy the whole lot as plain files and folders onto my PlayBook.
    02-19-13 07:21 AM
    Did you try to save playlist in *.m3u format? WMP save playlists in *.wpl format. Try "save as" playlist inside WMP for .m3u format and try again.
    Particularly, I made my playlists in PC with Winamp in *.m3u format. In my case I transfer all my music PC to PB (copy paste files and folders) via WiFi. So, the playlists were automatically in native music player in PB and working nice.

However, I have not tried using DM, but DM might recognize m3u format, I think. (Sometimes i get "device not conected" and I just restart PB pluged in PC and works - you know that).

If I understood correctly the issue.... hope to have helped.
    02-19-13 07:27 AM
    Thanks guys for the suggestions, I will try tonight to figure it out.
    02-19-13 07:47 AM
    I also recommend what was suggested above. Just use a text editor to create your playlist by copying and pasting the actual tracks, save it as a *.m3u file, and use Windows Explorer to copy over to your PlayBook music file. Or just rename an existing Windows Media playlist as *.m3u. I've repeatedly tried using DM or Windows Media to keep music and playlists for PB, Bold 9900, laptops, and USB for my car in sync, but probably through my own errors, keep getting duplicate tracks, missing playlists, or missing tracks. Now I just use Windows Explorer to copy and paste into the respective directories of each device. This is one area where my wife's iTunes sync seems to work better, but again, I'm probably at fault.
    02-19-13 08:45 AM
    Alright, well my biggest caveat in doing the drag and drop (i've done that in the past) is I have a music collection that is very very unorganized and this particular playlist is all about certain music scattered through out the collection. So dragging and dropping could be a massive undertaking as well...
    02-19-13 09:25 AM
    Alright, well my biggest caveat in doing the drag and drop (i've done that in the past) is I have a music collection that is very very unorganized and this particular playlist is all about certain music scattered through out the collection. So dragging and dropping could be a massive undertaking as well...
    I just experimented with a short playlist I had.

First, my music on the pb is organized in folders generally by Composer and the Album. So it might look like

Bach/Variations on....../specific mp3
    etc

In the m3u, it had a folder reference or path to each song. I removed those, leaving only the name of the mp3 even though, as noted, they are buried in folders. The playlist is working. I believe the pb does its own indexing and really does not care about folders. So just create the text file with the mp3 names in the list:

#EXTM3U
    #EXTINF:494,Debussy - Debussy - La Mer - From Dawn till Noon on the Sea
    Debussy - La Mer 01 From Dawn till Noon on the Sea.mp3
    #EXTINF:386,Debussy - Debussy - La Mer - Play of the Waves
    Debussy - La Mer 02 Play of the Waves.mp3
    #EXTINF:470,Debussy - Debussy - La Mer - Dialogue of the Wind and the Sea
    Debussy - La Mer 03 Dialogue of the Wind and the Sea.mp3

Again, the above playlist originally had the folder in front of those mp3 names.
    02-19-13 11:11 AM
    I just experimented with a short playlist I had.

First, my music on the pb is organized in folders generally by Composer and the Album. So it might look like

Bach/Variations on....../specific mp3
    etc

In the m3u, it had a folder reference or path to each song. I removed those, leaving only the name of the mp3 even though, as noted, they are buried in folders. The playlist is working. I believe the pb does its own indexing and really does not care about folders. So just create the text file with the mp3 names in the list:

#EXTM3U
    #EXTINF:494,Debussy - Debussy - La Mer - From Dawn till Noon on the Sea
    Debussy - La Mer 01 From Dawn till Noon on the Sea.mp3
    #EXTINF:386,Debussy - Debussy - La Mer - Play of the Waves
    Debussy - La Mer 02 Play of the Waves.mp3
    #EXTINF:470,Debussy - Debussy - La Mer - Dialogue of the Wind and the Sea
    Debussy - La Mer 03 Dialogue of the Wind and the Sea.mp3

Again, the above playlist originally had the folder in front of those mp3 names.
    Thanks F2, I will give that a go... but my issue at hand still remains, BB Link is broken and SHOULD allow me to transfer my existing playlists to either my playbook, or Z10, and my playlists do not show up at all in BB Link and as I said, for some reason, BlackBerry Desktop Manager now says Media options are not available. I shouldn't have to manually make a playlist and then drag and drop onto the playbook.
    02-19-13 11:32 AM
    As I've written elsewhere, I don't trust any sync operations. I once tried creating a global playlist of all my mp3's and the damn software started moving all of my files out of separate folders into the ONE music folder!!!

I just installed the LINK software the other day and the only thing I did was backup apps/settings. Again, I take care of media/photo/etc myself.
    02-19-13 12:13 PM