OK...I have been reading and researching the playbook for some time now but can't seem to pull the trigger on the purchase. I am fine with using the web as a proxy for apps (pandora, gmail, facebook, weather, etc is fine for me on the web). My hesitation is around BB Bridge. Does it work well? I went into a Staples and connected my BB9650 to the PB and the lag was very noticeable. Granted that it wasn't the latest version of the OS but still it was very laggy. In fact, it took quite a while to download some PDF's. Very slow response time.

How does Bridge work for other heavy BB users. Let me know if you think this feature is working well for you and if you have lag problems. How has the attachment functionality worked for you? I handle mostly PDF's and Excel files.

Thanks
    05-23-11 04:06 PM
    Some say it works great, others not so much. In my opinion bridge is still very buggy but has amazing potential. I am hoping the next patch addresses the most significant bridge issues, which to me would mean stability,performance, and browsing when using BES.
    05-23-11 04:23 PM
    Can you explain the browsing when using BES issue? I am currently using my BB Bold through a BES.
    05-23-11 04:48 PM
    I was bridge browsing this morning and it was not terrible. I don't know if it is carrier dependent or depends on the "weather" or phase of the moon.

We did discover the Bridging contacts does not show GROUPS you might have created for email. As noted - it needs some work.
    05-23-11 04:55 PM
    When using BES, bridge browsing is blocked unless MDS is enabled on you BES server. Most of us agree this is a bug, as your ability to browse from the bridge connection should mimic your capabilities on your blackberry.
    If you can browse from your BB, you should be able to Bridge Browse from your PB
    If you cannot browse from your BB, then your PB should be similarly limited.

Currently, if you can browse from your BB but MDS is not enabled, bridge browsing doesn't work. You can tether as a way around this, but that could violate your carrier agreement or incur additional fees.
    05-23-11 05:00 PM
    i only read the title so here we go i've helped with this before. okay first make sure you load the gun weather you chose a 6 shooter or a magazine load. now pull the hammer or slide back, and put your safety on very important don't want an incident. now figure out what your intend on using the gun for. now aim at the intended target, aim it at the respected target. now yell something at it of your choosing (its a must for all targets), now push the safety off very important again. now squeeze the trigger and walla you've pulled the trigger.
    really should make the tittle something more direct. the birdge is descent but slow but free but slow. they are rumored to fix some of that.
    05-23-11 05:22 PM
    Thanks for the BES explanation. Just seems like too many minor problems (BES quirk, slow response time, fixed at a later date, etc.....). Unfortunately, I don't control the BES settings, our network administrator does. I think I will hold off until future updates address some of these issues. I hope they get it fixed....I want it to work.
    05-23-11 05:30 PM
    bridge works pretty well here... other than bridged browser, but calendar, msgs, etc work well... and bbm also.

I have seen that lag when i bridged to someone at work... however wifes's bb and mine work well, 9330 and 9700. But the only difference my co-worker has tons of software, tons bbm contacts loaded on his bb.

Mine and wife's bb very basic, almost no apps, clean.
    05-23-11 05:36 PM
    Yep I really would like to get one also but I'm waiting too. I really hope that RIM will get it right but not enough that I want to spend that much money on something might not come to fruition. I feel the same way about honeycomb and froyo or whatever goodie desert that is that seems to be lacking on a tab also.

As for ipad I'm sure it's a great device but personally I don't like apple and the way they do things, I really hope that RIM isn't trying to mirror them.
    05-23-11 05:43 PM
    the product is not complete, but it will be in several months, its a very slow process. RIM is working on it, for you will have to while a long time. Possible till end of this year till it feels "complete".

My guess is that next update will be bug fixes.
    The next update, native email software.

I think after this end of the month update, it will be a month or more till we will see anything from RIM.
    05-23-11 05:50 PM
    I guess if it takes that long who knows. There will be tons of others out by then, if there are win tabs that are decent and run well I'd probably go with one of those but I really think that QNX can be awesome if they can figure out what they are doing with it.
    05-23-11 05:53 PM
    Wouldn't a Windows Tablet be the ultimate "professional grade tablet" due to its ability to seamlessly integrate with Outlook, Excel, Word, etc. Of course, you would think they would have nailed it on their windows phones but they haven't yet.
    05-23-11 05:56 PM
    I'm on the fence too. Want one but don't really need one. Just kinda waiting on that "big" update up come, then I'll probably bite ;-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-11 06:18 PM
    My advice to you is I would wait. The next update could be tomorrow or in a couple of months?
    05-23-11 06:33 PM
    Wouldn't a Windows Tablet be the ultimate "professional grade tablet" due to its ability to seamlessly integrate with Outlook, Excel, Word, etc. Of course, you would think they would have nailed it on their windows phones but they haven't yet.
    sure you can make that argument. but like everything else window has done instead of fix/improve if its not doing well it will get swept under the rug. lets see windows 98, me, 2000, the zune (ugly god awful head still rears though), office, xp home, that awful home entertainment os that even trying to think of its name makes me feel like vomiting, and vista. besides windows has been playing cat and mouse with apple since the ipod showed its mug. i wouldn't trust a microsoft device with anything professional. i spent most of my growing years reviving a gateway running windows me for my parents buisness. it finally died but not before attempting suicide by melting a capacitor off its contacts in the psu and dropping it into a fan. windows was made out to be the jack of all trades but it is definatly an expert of none.

the same can be said about all the os's i feel the term "professional" is a horrible attachment. these kinds of tablets should be marketed to the consumer, but don't get me wrong i enjoy everything about this tablet. even the glitches.
    btw i hate the look and feel of windows phones, they make me wanna rub my face with an iphone or droid.
    Last edited by drethos; 05-23-11 at 06:56 PM.
    05-23-11 06:52 PM
    In fairness, Windows Phone 7 integrates very well with Office and Backoffice servers. It's a UI that doesn't appeal to anyone, and it too has a way to go, but the one thing you can't knock it for is it's interactions with Office apps (other than SharePoint, which is rumored to be fixed soon).
    05-23-11 07:00 PM
    Pull the trigger Stamper!!
    05-23-11 07:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD