I am a bb user and now decided to get a pb. The guy i am getting from claims he only used it for an hour.
    It still has the film on the screen. how do i know if it is in good working order before i pay him or not? It might be a stupid qustion but what am i looking for when i turn it on that it really is in good working order?

p.s he is selling it to me for 280.00 for a 32 gb . \I figure the price is good thats why i am not getting it new.

thanks for any feedback .
    11-08-11 09:25 PM
    Check pixels. See if you can connect to the bt in your phone and if bridge works. You can download Bridge in advance to your phone from appworld.

See if he has wifi or meet in a place with wifi and see if it is working - Browser, appworld use wifi.

I don't think you can check the serial number for lost/stolen as that stuff has been discussed and rim does not assist much in that area. So seeing if it connects with appworld using HIS ID might help.

Good luck
    11-08-11 09:47 PM
    i would ask the seller to download battery guru from app world if he didn't downloaded it yet. that app will tells you the health of PB battery and recharge count. if the seller uses it for just an hour then i would expect its battery health is close to 100% and at lease 1-2 charge count. don't forget to pay him back for the app if you end up not buying it.
    11-08-11 10:02 PM
    I like the ideas above me but I would also physically inspect the overall device, charging port (USB), power button, and media buttons. I've found I use the media buttons above anything else and it would be a bummer if they didn't work.

You could also see if the GPS chip is working as I know some have complained of its reliability but then you might just **** the person off.

Decide what's most important to you, what will you be using it for/why are you buying it? If it's just for surfing the web, check the wifi. Bridging to your BB phone? Check Bluetooth and Bridge app. Geolocation? Check the GPS.
    11-08-11 10:23 PM
    second that. check for dead stuck pixels. download screen helper (and there is another free one) and turn the brightness to maximum and thoroughly inspect the screen. you may also inspect for light bleeding.

check the back of the playbook. it should be close to being flat. however, if it's not, you shouldn't worry, it's just a cosmetic defect. if it doesn't bother you, move on.

battery guru. battery health should be high enough (85-90% is decent)

do the usual functionality check, speakers, buttons, overall build, bluetooth, wifi, both cameras, wear and tear, signs of water damage or a drop.

and most importantly remember that the warranty is not transferable
    11-08-11 10:30 PM
    Make sure it's in Showcase mode if you want music / streaming music / videos / games etc..to play in the background while you open other apps.

Showcase mode = "all applications are active and never pause in the background"

Settings -> General -> Application Behaviour -> "Showcase"
    11-08-11 10:38 PM
    Thank you to all your feedback and great advise.
    I will be back and look forward to the goup discusions.
    good, bad, indiferent.lolol
    11-09-11 04:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD