I'm having a bit of trouble getting my hands on a non-defective PB in the Greater Toronto Area, preferably in a Best Buy.

I bought a Playbook and it's been a great 2 months, with 3 Playbooks.
    -First one was fine, but started collecting dust under front facing camera
    -Second one actually had a good power-button. It popped up more than any other Playbook I've had / seen. But that didn't last as it became sunken within a a few days.
    -Last one I had a buldge, AND the bezel (black part) over lapped the front camera ever so slightly. It looked like it was put together realllllly poorly, and shouldn't have passed QC...

So, I went back to Best Buy yesterday and opened 3 more Playbooks at customer service as the lady watched me inspect each one. None of them were good. I took the last one they had, even though it has the recessed Power-button.

Any tips?!?
    01-13-12 11:24 AM
    3 playbooks in a row that you inspected were defective ? That's unheard of ...

Did you contact RIM ?
    01-13-12 11:30 AM
    All of the Playbooks I've handled (4 total) have minor build quality variances. Mine has a perfect display, raised power button and only the slightest, barely perceptible bulge on the back. Later on I also discovered a very small gap between the plastic case and the screen glass which I had to look very hard to find. I'm not exchanging it because its pretty good considering the problems others are having and its a $299 64GB tablet--what can you expect?
    GlowingBlue likes this.
    01-13-12 11:36 AM
    3 playbooks in a row that you inspected were defective ? That's unheard of ...

Did you contact RIM ?
    Just curious. Which department in RIM would you contact for this? Customer service, or public relations?

I think mine is good other than slightly recessed power button, but there are other threads on this forum indicating that some batch of PB might have had QC issues.

However, saying that there's a problem like this appeared to be not allowed on this forum.
    01-13-12 01:05 PM
    Just curious. Which department in RIM would you contact for this? Customer service, or public relations?

I think mine is good other than slightly recessed power button, but there are other threads on this forum indicating that some batch of PB might have had QC issues.

However, saying that there's a problem like this appeared to be not allowed on this forum.
    Is it really not allowed to discuss PB QC and issues? That... I didn't know.

No I didn't contact RIM, as the BestBuy rep said that it might just have been the batch, and better to re-visit the store at a later date or check another Best Buy store.

The display units are by far the best built that I've seen, minus the recessed Power-Buttons.
    01-13-12 01:29 PM

Call support and ask for the RMA department, They handle repair/return/replace. Mine is on its way back to me right now.
    GlowingBlue likes this.
    01-13-12 01:32 PM
    If I travelled back to the same store 3 or 4 (or more) times to return a faulty item , i'd be pretty livid ... but obviously some folks have a higher tolerance for that kind of thing. After the third or fourth trip back to return , you'd think the manager would say "were sending this shipment back because to many units are faulty.

In fact , if I had to drive to the store 3 to 5 times to return PB's , I'd be saying forget PB and forget shopping at a store that continues to sell knowingly faulty items.
    01-13-12 01:43 PM
    Thanks for the tips all.

I guess I'll continue to exercise my Best Buy warranty, until a product that is not defective gets passed to me. It's Friday and I'm off work early, Best Buy here I comes~

01-13-12 03:13 PM
    oh the pb is built like , oka lets see, i have buldge on back, off button gets stuck, sound button gets stuck, hdmi and usb ports loose, oh and i have bleeding on the screen, for f,s sake, on top of that cant return cleaning lady threw out the receipt haha
    01-13-12 04:17 PM
    You should check it out before leaving the store with it.
    01-13-12 04:30 PM
    I'm having a bit of trouble getting my hands on a non-defective PB in the Greater Toronto Area, preferably in a Best Buy.

I bought a Playbook and it's been a great 2 months, with 3 Playbooks.
    -First one was fine, but started collecting dust under front facing camera
    -Second one actually had a good power-button. It popped up more than any other Playbook I've had / seen. But that didn't last as it became sunken within a a few days.
    -Last one I had a buldge, AND the bezel (black part) over lapped the front camera ever so slightly. It looked like it was put together realllllly poorly, and shouldn't have passed QC...

So, I went back to Best Buy yesterday and opened 3 more Playbooks at customer service as the lady watched me inspect each one. None of them were good. I took the last one they had, even though it has the recessed Power-button.

Any tips?!?
    my tip is that even if you find that one perfect pb there is no guarantee that it will be as perfect 1 year from now. pb is electronic device and it will break at some point. so just buy it with your credit card that has extended warranty and enjoy it. I used to be like you wanting to have that perfect device but at the end i find it impossible to keep such mobile device in perfect condition. My shiny 9810 already has scratch marks after my baby son decided to "test" its durability by dropping it few times on the floor
    01-13-12 06:42 PM
    Why is a flush or slightly recessed power button considered a fatal flaw? Mine is very slightly recessed, and it doesn't bother me at all. First, my case has a power button cover with a pin molded into its underside, so it presses the button very nicely. Even if the PB is out of its case, a retracted pen does the trick. I've had to press the power button maybe 10 times since I bought my PB in August.
    01-13-12 10:11 PM
    Why is a flush or slightly recessed power button considered a fatal flaw? Mine is very slightly recessed, and it doesn't bother me at all. First, my case has a power button cover with a pin molded into its underside, so it presses the button very nicely. Even if the PB is out of its case, a retracted pen does the trick. I've had to press the power button maybe 10 times since I bought my PB in August.
    Actually mine is flush and I prefer it that way so I don't push it unintentionally.
    01-13-12 10:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD