The company I work for (German) is switching to Blackberry here in the U.S. in about a month & giving us a choice of either the Bold or Torch. The company provides PC, uses MS Exchange, VPN and has a pretty tight grip on downloads (cannot download iTunes, access Amazon while in the VPN, etc).
    I've been following the Playbook ordeal the last 6 months, have spent time with one on the sales floor at retailers. I love the form/function and the 64gb version at $299US makes this a tempting personal purchase. I really don't see it dropping much lower than that (but know it's possible) but that is not the concern.
    Where I need guidance is I use Mac for home. Will the playbook coexist? Are there instances where the playbook needs physically tethered to a computer? If so, will it differentiate if attached to both a Mac and a PC, at different times.
    For example, all of my music is on iTunes and I'm not leaving that format but I'm open to Google Music, etc as a second alternative if needed. I know there is an iTunes app on the PB for iTunes but I need some experience's on how this can all come together or is it simply best to keep the PB "away" from the Mac if my work is on PC? I want to be able to use the PB for work related but also want to enjoy the fun aspect as well.
    Also, I'm not counting on my company opening up access to the VPN on the PB but I will be able to access a "light" version of exchange on it, when/if needed. I will be the only employee using the PB and doing it on my dime.
    Any positive input is appreciated. Regards.
    Last edited by buckeyeinhooville; 01-19-12 at 03:11 PM.
    01-19-12 01:30 PM
    Regarding ITunes:
    I have a significant size ITunes library. BB desk top software (Mac/ PC) has the capability to sync all your non-DRM songs including album covers, selected play lists etc. without an issue. Movies and TV shows will not play on the playbook
    Just install the desktop software on your Mac to test it out yourself. It will search for music files, then will list all your ITunes content and from there you can select which songs, artists or playlist to sync.
    01-19-12 02:02 PM
    You can use either macs or pc's to backup your playbook through the Blackberry Desktop Manager. If your music or videos are drm free you can simply transfer them over to your playbook either through the usb cable or through wireless. On both the mac and the pc you can map a network drive to the playbook. I have mine set up wirelessly. On a pc you can search through the network to do this or use RUN “file//yourplaybookipaddress”. Details are also availabe on the Blackberry web site.
    Another way is if you have a NAS setup which will allow you to access it, either wirelessly or through the usb cable. Again I have a NAS setup which I can assess wirelessly
    through the playbook browser.
    buckeyeind likes this.
    01-19-12 03:51 PM
    there is an app that you can download called iTunes Sync and it will get all your itunes music on your playbook i think it costs, 1.99
    buckeyeind likes this.
    01-19-12 03:56 PM
    Are there instances where the playbook needs physically tethered to a computer? If so, will it differentiate if attached to both a Mac and a PC, at different times.
    There apparently are situations when a PC is necessary (or an Intel Mac running Windows): these are special cases when the PlayBook isn't operating correctly and has software problems. But for normal operations, a Mac should be OK.

The company I work for (German) is switching to Blackberry here in the U.S.
    I'm curious, what is is your company switching from?
    01-19-12 04:28 PM
    We've been using the HTC Touchpro 2, Windows based, with Sprint. We're at the end of our contract, thank goodness. Germany is dictating Blackberry this time around and probably a one year contract from now on. The decision is being made now, at our US HQ, on Verizon or staying with Sprint.
    Also, the "go" button will be pushed March 1 for the U.S. to begin using SAP. Most other countries have made the switch and, HOPEFULLY, the bugs have been worked out.
    Last edited by buckeyeinhooville; 01-19-12 at 05:02 PM.
    blue-b and VerryBestr like this.
    01-19-12 04:36 PM
    You won't have any problems syncing with a newer Mac running Lion

I don't sync with iTunes...

I just copy music files (drag and drop) into the music folder and that's it, fast and easy
    buckeyeind likes this.
    01-19-12 05:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD