I recently went to the library website and found out that out of the 100's of compatible devices, the Playbook was one of the few that wasn't. That sucks. I really want to start taking books from the library this way, but I am unsure on how to proceed. Has anyone else had this issue and found a way around it? I am in Ontario, Canada.
    01-02-12 11:50 AM
    what format are they in?
    ePub?

PlayEPub eBook Reader for the BlackBerry PlayBook (ePub Formats) - BerryReview
    01-02-12 12:25 PM
    I think most libraries support Overdrive but there is no native app for the Playbook. If you have the latest beta of OS2, you could try the Android Overdrive app and see if that works. Do a search in these forums for Overdrive and you may find some instructions for side loading it on the Playbook.
    01-02-12 12:40 PM
    if you update to 2.0 os you can get kindle, dunno if that would work
    01-02-12 12:46 PM
    So the overdrive app is not available for the playbook yet? I thought I read back in April that it might be coming out. That really does put a dent in things. What is the work around?

Thanks for the quick replies!
    01-02-12 12:57 PM
    I downloaded Book reader a free app which supports EPUB and MOBI. According to the library web site they are available on EPUB, haven't tried it though.

Gordon
    01-02-12 01:38 PM
    Which app did you download?
    01-02-12 01:39 PM
    There are several apps for the PB tht will read non-DRM epub books, and there are a lot of places to get such books. However, most libraries use some type of DRM encryption and so you need Oerdrive.
    01-02-12 01:53 PM
    If you are willing to take potential extra-legal steps, you can borrow the book, find tools to remove the drm, load to appropriate reader app or device, read book, delete it when the due date arrives.

Theory - it is your public library and your taxes are supporting this otherwise limited lending scheme.

Reality - you may be breaking the law!
    01-02-12 01:54 PM
    Yeah, I am thinking about going the Beta 2.0 route. I need to figure out how to backup the PB first and then load the newest Beta. All of that aside, I really see where RIM is not being supportive when they need to be - maybe it is more complicated, but I wish there was better native support with this thing.

Are there other libraries that do not use the Overdrive system or have all the Canadian and US systems gone that way..?
    Last edited by netrate; 01-02-12 at 02:13 PM.
    01-02-12 02:09 PM
    Yeah, I am thinking about going the Beta 2.0 route. I need to figure out how to backup the PB first and then load the newest Beta. All of that aside, I really see where RIM is not being supportive when they need to be - maybe it is more complicated, but I wish there was better native support with this thing.

Are there other libraries that do not use the Overdrive system or have all the Canadian and US systems gone that way..?
    I have use overdrive on os 2.0 and it works good.
    01-02-12 02:20 PM
    Which app did you download?
    If you're asking me it's actually called " Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle books"

Ops I lied, I paid $.99 for the app
    Last edited by Restlessone; 01-02-12 at 04:03 PM.
    01-02-12 03:14 PM
    We have a Kobo; sometimes downloading library books from an Ottawa library works, sometimes it doesn't. There is a Kobo app on your PB and we have been able to read Kobo books on it.
    johnreid
    01-02-12 03:17 PM
    That would be great if I can. I haven't tried to log into the library using the KOBO app - so if that works, that would be great. Your experience with the KOBO app and the library is hit and miss huh?
    01-02-12 03:34 PM
    Download Adobe Digital Editions, and through your Kobo app, you should be able to borrow books from libraries that have gone digital. Here's a tutorial that is helpfull...

[YT]youtube.com/watch?v=x7DZ6ceUVIA[/YT]
    Hgouck likes this.
    01-02-12 03:49 PM
    Apparently the Kindle Cloud Reader, which works very well on the PlayBook (needs to be in Portrait orientation) can be used for library books (search CB for the thread).
    Edit: here is the link:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post6936447

To access the Kindle Cloud Reader, just visit this site on the PlayBook's browser:
    https://read.amazon.com/
    Last edited by lotuslanderz; 01-02-12 at 04:00 PM.
    01-02-12 03:53 PM
    Can't download adobe digital editions - it says my system is not supported (using the browser on the playbook).
    01-02-12 06:50 PM
    Can't download adobe digital editions - it says my system is not supported (using the browser on the playbook).
    Hmmmm, I could have sworn I read somewhere it would finally be available for the PB Did you view the you tube tutorial btw?
    01-02-12 07:03 PM
    you could also use overdrive on your pc. get the files . remove drm. read on any device.

though i would go with what is simplest. upgrade to 2.0 and get overdrive. im using that now and its great. its what the playbook should have been from the beginning. all my fav apps are android ports. except for starfront. wish i never got it though because its a massive time hog $0.99 on app world now

* to fix sound issue in 2.0 w gameloft games open a silent mp3 and loop it in the background
    01-02-12 07:07 PM
    I watched the Tutorial and followed it up to Download Adobe Digital Editions - then I tried and it wasn't working. So I stopped there and scanned forward and she is using the ADE stuff, which I can't download...grrrrr

As far as the Kindle Cloud Reader using Playbook - I found it setup to buy things. After about 5 minutes playing with it, I couldn't find one place that said I could use it to look for library books or overdrive. Do you know how to use it for this purpose?
    Last edited by netrate; 01-02-12 at 07:16 PM.
    01-02-12 07:13 PM
    I know that there have been some personality issues between RIM, Kobo, and Adobe, and maybe the scheduled for 2011 availability is on hold. Gee, we need to really dump those two clown azzhat CEO's at RIM!
    01-02-12 07:17 PM
    I just heard that RIM is reducing the prices on all PB to 299.00 - I wonder if this is spelling the end of it all - just when I thought I was getting somewhere!
    01-02-12 07:50 PM
    I just heard that RIM is reducing the prices on all PB to 299.00 - I wonder if this is spelling the end of it all - just when I thought I was getting somewhere!
    Why is everybody have to be late for the party??? Yes, it's been on sale for $299, all flavors, from SBB for a few days now.
    01-02-12 07:53 PM
    Any ideas on how to use the Cloud Reader through the PB?
    I was finding that links did not work and it was woefully slow.
    01-02-12 07:58 PM
    Digital Editions is for your desktop or laptop. You plug in your device and the program recognizes it, trouble is, it doesn't recognize the playbook. At least it didn't recognize mine, but does recognize kobo or kindles I believe.

Adobe better move it along and get with it. RIM didn't ban flash like Jobs did.
    01-02-12 10:14 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD