Hi Crackberrians. I bought a BestBuy refurb 16GB and 32GB PlayBook. The 16GB appears perfect. The 32GB will completely discharge the battery over night from 100%. I am trying to do the hard boot to see if that helps but can't seem to get it. Some on crackberry say to press vol up/down and power button. Other sites have said vol up/down + play/pause + power button.

When I try to do either of those, I hear the shutter sound (screen capture) and then it powers off. I don't see anything to indicate the PlayBook is actually doing a hard boot though so I think I'm not doing it right. I've held all buttons for up to 30 seconds numerous times.

Can anyone tell me if I am doing this correctly?
    12-27-11 07:44 PM
    I use a pen and hold down the power button, and use my fingers to hold volume up and down all three at the same time. It takes anout 5-10 seconds. You will see power off option than it will shut down by it self. I hope this helps.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-27-11 07:49 PM
    Hgouck, that's it? After it powers down like you described, you turn it on and it boots up normally? No extended boot-up or any indication?
    12-27-11 07:56 PM
    Hgouck, that's it? After it powers down like you described, you turn it on and it boots up normally? No extended boot-up or any indication?
    You shouldn't have to power it back on if you did it right. hold the power key down, press and hold the vol up key and then press and hold the vol down key. The screen will go black, you can let go of the keys, the red light will come on and it will boot. That how to do a soft reset
    12-27-11 07:59 PM
    You may want to download the battery guru app to see whats going on with that fast drain.
    12-27-11 08:02 PM
    Missed that about the battery drain... Shot in the dark, but are you on an older os and haven't accepted video chat terms?
    12-27-11 08:13 PM
    As Refurbs, did they already come with the OS loaded or did you have to run through the setup and tutorials and establish a BBID?
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    12-27-11 09:55 PM
    You shouldn't have to power it back on if you did it right. hold the power key down, press and hold the vol up key and then press and hold the vol down key. The screen will go black, you can let go of the keys, the red light will come on and it will boot. That how to do a soft reset
    It worked that time.
    12-29-11 06:34 AM
    As Refurbs, did they already come with the OS loaded or did you have to run through the setup and tutorials and establish a BBID?
    OS was loaded, but I did have to go through the tutorials. I don't think it asked for my BBID on this one.
    12-29-11 06:35 AM
    Thats actually considered to be a hard reset similar to a battery pull...the soft is just holding down the power button only for over ten seconds.

Also important to have the charger plugged in when doing this after a battery drain.
    Correct that the power button should be down first - if you hear the camera click you probably did not have the power button down and it took the volume buttons as a screen capture instead.
    12-29-11 07:09 AM
    Thats actually considered to be a hard reset similar to a battery pull...the soft is just holding down the power button only for over ten seconds.

Also important to have the charger plugged in when doing this after a battery drain.
    Correct that the power button should be down first - if you hear the camera click you probably did not have the power button down and it took the volume buttons as a screen capture instead.
    Actually its not. A hardware reset would be pulling the battery. It's an emergency reset for sure, but it is in no way a hard reset
    12-29-11 08:21 PM
    Thanks everyone for the help. Unfortunately it did not cure the problem. This might have to go back. Hope I can get a replacement for same price.
    12-30-11 04:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD