View Poll Results: What should I do/buy?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • iPad2

7 10.94%
  • PlayBook

52 81.25%
  • Don't bother with a tablet at all

5 7.81%
    So I am a long time BlackBerry faithful, I'm on my 3rd after dumping my iPhone 3G a few months after buying it at launch.

Here is my question, I am looking at getting a tablet to use a bit for work/playing around. I have a 15" MBP that I use for any real kind of work and typing etc. (can't do too much of that on a phone or iPad). My brother has an iPad and a Bold 9700 like I do and loves it, but I have a laptop that I find decently portable, a Bold 9700, and a Kindle2 which I love for lightness and portability size.

Should I bother with a tablet at all? Should I get the iPad2 for more gadgety features or should I go for the PlayBook that is smaller and more portable and easy guaranteed connectivity with my BB?

I'm rather new to the idea of getting a tablet of any kind and am hesitant to spend that kind of money on a 32gb or 64gb wifi device without some advice and research.

Does anyone have a strong opinion or a wealth of information that could be shared with me?

iPad2, Play Book, or don't bother?
    03-25-11 10:57 AM
    Get a tablet if you can justify using it for what you pay. If you have a BlackBerry I'd say get the playbook because of the bridging capabilities.
    03-25-11 11:11 AM
    I think you're going to get very biased advice here, after all this is a blackberry forum.

At any rate, i had an ipad, sold it to get the second gen but decided to wait for the pb. I think 10 inches is too big to carry around.
    03-25-11 11:13 AM
    I don't mind a bit of biased advice, I'm a biased crackberry addict myself, I was just curious if there were any blackberry faithful out there that have iPad's etc that could share their advice, or if there were people out there that are waiting for the Play Book because they prefer it/and why

I appreciate the responses though guys, I'm honestly just curious and slightly uninformed for once about a gadget purchase
    03-25-11 11:17 AM
    The Playbook is still a mystery,
    it sounds promising with a better browser, etc.,
    but it will not offer all the iPad does for some time if ever.

Depends what you want to do I guess.
    May want to wait a month if you consider a Playbook to see the reviews from users.

You can't go wrong with an iPad 2
    because if you don't like it they are easy to sell, and often for a big profit too.
    Also I think the Apple store has a full refund return policy.

iPad 1's used can be found $350. Thats an amazing price for what it offers,
    and again if you buy one used at that price you'll be able to sell it for about the same.

Do you need a tablet, get one and try it is probably the best way.
    Many who do seldom use a laptop again except when they have to.
    Last edited by Sonic77; 03-25-11 at 11:53 AM.
    03-25-11 11:30 AM
    The Playbook is still a mystery,
    it sounds promising with a better browser, etc.,
    but it will not offer all the iPad does for some time if ever.

Depends what you want to do I guess.
    May want to wait a month if you consider a Playbook to see the reviews from users.

You can't go wrong with an iPad 2
    because if you don't like it they are easy to sell, and often for a big profit too.
    Also I think the Apple store has a full refund return policy.

iPad 1's used can be found $350. Thats an amazing price for what it offers,
    and again if you buy one used at that price you'll be able to sell it for about the same.

Do you need a tablet, get one and try it is probably the best way.
    Many who do seldom use a laptop again except when they have to.
    And what does the ipad offer that the playbook does not?

OP it sounds like you don't want or need a tablet but if you just want one to play around with I'd say playbook unless you really like apple products.
    03-25-11 11:56 AM
    You need to think about what you'll use it for. If you struggle to find uses and you don't have an extra few hundred dollars to spend for a toy, I would skip it. But if you can find uses or if you want to spend the money just to play around and find uses later, then I think you should get a playbook since it is more capable than the ipad.
    03-25-11 12:10 PM

Here's a few quick things I do with the iPad
    that it seems the Playbook will not do on release:

email ,
    connect musical instruments via midi for sequencing recording,
    Use Slingplayer to watch and control my TV anywhere,
    NHL Center Ice Live Games,
    Live MLB,
    Veetle.com to stream,
    Wireless Airplay with ATV to watch videos / music on your HDTV with cables...

Might be wrong on some, have to wait and see soon when it arrives ...
    03-25-11 12:21 PM
    Here's a few quick things I do with the iPad
    that it seems the Playbook will not do on release:

Live MLB,
    I don't know about the others, but I use MLB.tv and I imagine, you could just watch the games in the PB browser. Maybe not, but I would think it should be possible. But you're right that there will not be a dedicated app for the playbook.
    03-25-11 12:45 PM

OP it sounds like you don't want or need a tablet but if you just want one to play around with I'd say playbook unless you really like apple products.
    Have a Bold 9650 and IPAD 2 and have looked at the Playbook before buying the IPAD2. Here's what I think, for what its worth. I know they (Bold v IPAD2) are different devices with different uses but since the Playbook isn't out yet, we can all only speculate on how it will perform and let's face it BB recent launches haven't been great builds I don't have confidence in them....

IPAD2 is expensive for what you get, but the thing is beautiful to hold and just plain works. The # of apps is incredible, but you are beholden to Apple for music, apps and everything else. If you can afford to buy it it is clearly the gold standard with a massive group of users and apps that work around most faults. It costs but it delivers spectacularly on what it does promise. HTLM 5 will make flash irrelevant soon. Not having easy USB access or any expansion slots at all sux. The Playbook is a complete unknown. It would have to function almost flawlessly to be in the same class as the IPAD. I doubt the Playbook will do so in this first release.

My Bold is a great e-mail device, but not much else. I originally came to this forum for help with some items and the forum was great with many users having the same issues I was having. However, it seems acceptable that to fix BB problems you should have to "pull the battery" and give it a while to "settle down." That is lame "tech support." The thing reboots when I try to take a picture, many people have that problem. The browser is terrible and OS 6 was less of an upgrade than IPAD1 to IPAD2. The IPAD2 worked out of the box and hasn't given my any problems. I am not sure what the Playbook will be like and hope it is great, but based on RIM's recent history and Apples long line of expensive but successful products, I doubt it will be better than the IPAD for at least another 5 years.

In either case, a netbook might be a better fit. It is a definite compromise that migth not fit either. The bold is too small to really work on docs or browse for any period of time, tablets are expensive but a $200 netbook bridges the gap well but is a real compromise. I think the Playbook is a huge, expensive gamble and I opted not to go down that road. Good luck with whatever you chose. Just my 2 cents...
    03-25-11 01:02 PM
    The Playbook features far outnumber the iPad2. Plus given that you returned your iPhone for a blackberry should tell you something
    03-25-11 01:12 PM
    I'd go for an iPad 2. I'm not a fan of buying any first generation product so I would go with the tab that has more of a track record. Besides, like others have mentioned, RIM's history of launching products with problems is well known and I wouldn't want to spend this kind of money on a first gen RIM product. Remember the Tour trackball and Bold 9650 crooked track pad issues?
    03-25-11 03:00 PM
    Well said, don't be a fool to buy the new generation playbook a.k.a the fail "Storn"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-11 10:53 PM
    Well said, don't be a fool to buy the new generation playbook a.k.a the fail "Storn"

I've sifted through all of RIM's press-releases none mentioned a device named "Storn"

I'm really sorry your iPad is going to be outdone in 19 days, you don't have to take your anger out here.
    03-30-11 11:26 PM
    He meant storm as in the original storm. In my opinion wait, see, and maybe try out some of the other tablets. There are alot of better devices coming out than the I pad the,motorola Xoom is good but its the first version of honey comb and it has some issues that need to be fixed. Toshiba is coming out with a amazing android tablet. But make sure you really think about it.
    The playbook will be a far superior product then I pad, every spec is much better. It's only deciding factor is the size, with the experience I've had with my Xoom 7" is much more portable then 10". But the Xoom on the other hand is more portable then the I pad due to it being actually smaller.
    In any event do not jump at anything until you see the finished products. You may regret your original descision. I did jump at the Xoom but I don't regret it, it was love at first poke. I got to play with a fresh demo in staples and despite not having net on the store model I was blown away. I spent alot of time with other people ipad 's and I wasn't impressed by them.
    Last edited by drethos; 03-31-11 at 06:39 AM.
    03-31-11 06:37 AM
    If you want the best, get the ipad.

If you want anything else, get anything else.

Let truth be told!

.... and yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

03-31-11 07:53 AM
    I have an iPad 1. I will be getting a PlayBook as a dev.
    I will be giving my iPad 1 to my in-laws when my PlayBook arrives, and I'm now in the position where my wife wants a tablet, and I'm deciding what to get her.

The way I see it, the only reason I'm thinking about the iPad 2 for her is:
    1) The bigger screen may be better for what she intends to do (for example, take notes in class).
    2) I have invested in a bunch of iPad apps, so I want to keep an iPad in the house to use some of those games I purchased sometimes.
    3) I know for a fact there will be apps that are iPad only and never come to PlayBook, so would be nice to have a second platform at home.

But there are clearly some things that PlayBook will be better at. For example, my wife started saying that maybe it'll be nice if she can record video/audio in her class, while she types notes in. And I thought about it, and the iPad won't be able to do that with its limited multi-tasking, but the PlayBook will. So I have to say, if I had no vested interest in apps, and was starting fresh, the PlayBook would probably make the cut.

Additional info: we both have BlackBerries. If I get her a PlayBook she can bridge/tether, but if I get her an iPad, I'll have to bother with hassle of jailbreak, etc., just to get her internet access while on the go.
    03-31-11 08:23 AM
    He meant storm as in the original storm. In my opinion wait, see, and maybe try out some of the other tablets. There are alot of better devices coming out than the I pad the,motorola Xoom is good but its the first version of honey comb and it has some issues that need to be fixed. Toshiba is coming out with a amazing android tablet. But make sure you really think about it.
    The playbook will be a far superior product then I pad, every spec is much better. It's only deciding factor is the size, with the experience I've had with my Xoom 7" is much more portable then 10". But the Xoom on the other hand is more portable then the I pad due to it being actually smaller.
    In any event do not jump at anything until you see the finished products. You may regret your original descision. I did jump at the Xoom but I don't regret it, it was love at first poke. I got to play with a fresh demo in staples and despite not having net on the store model I was blown away. I spent alot of time with other people ipad 's and I wasn't impressed by them.
    On the bold part. I'm curious how will you guys being carrying your PB...
    Briefcase, backpack, pocket,hand and also will you have some form of case on it.

I used to be a firm believer in the 7" is more portable and touted as much when the Galaxy Tab 7" was released but after putting some hands on time the other devices are just as portable especially if you plan on to put a case on the 7" device. I just can't see putting it in my pants pocket and if I put a case on it then it doesn't fit as well and scared I'd wind up cracking my screen. I think for a businessman that stays in a suit then it would probably be more portable.

Sorry for the side hijack.
    03-31-11 08:26 AM
    Pretty well aware of that. You didn't think I actually went back through RIM's press releases since the beginning of the company did you?
    03-31-11 12:24 PM
    It doesn't really sound like you need a tablet yet. Don't get caught up in the hype. There will be plenty of choices available when you find reasons to really need one. And the prices will be much better too...

On the bold part. I'm curious how will you guys being carrying your PB...
    Briefcase, backpack, pocket,hand and also will you have some form of case on it.

I used to be a firm believer in the 7" is more portable and touted as much when the Galaxy Tab 7" was released but after putting some hands on time the other devices are just as portable especially if you plan on to put a case on the 7" device. I just can't see putting it in my pants pocket and if I put a case on it then it doesn't fit as well and scared I'd wind up cracking my screen. I think for a businessman that stays in a suit then it would probably be more portable.

Sorry for the side hijack.
    To me, it's not just the portability when you're not using it. It's also about the size factor when you are using it. In a bar, at a table or on a crowded subway, the 7 inch form will give me enough extra screen that I need without getting in other people's way. It's also easier to hold. I see people using the iPad in the palm and cradled to the forearm and it doesn't look comfortable or ergonomic.
    Last edited by TheScionicMan; 04-01-11 at 04:00 AM.
    04-01-11 03:57 AM
    buy the ipad2. it is a no-brainer. millions of customers, a lot of the kinks worked out.
    tonnes of apps.

wait for playbook2 that will give RIM some time to work out all the kinks
    04-01-11 02:40 PM
    I like to live dangerously. Danger is my middle name!
    04-01-11 02:42 PM
    even though i havent placed my hands upon the playbook, YET; I have to say that I simply dislike the iOS in general. Knowing the ipad is running that makes it a sure bet for me to own the playbook.
    04-01-11 04:10 PM
    buy the ipad2. it is a no-brainer. millions of customers, a lot of the kinks worked out.
    tonnes of apps.

wait for playbook2 that will give RIM some time to work out all the kinks
    Dave would want to say "because someone's thinking for you?" :P
    04-01-11 04:11 PM
    the iPad doesn't have many OS issues because they've been using the same one since the original iPhone. They release dated products and people love them for it, good job mr Jobs. "Browse while talking on the phone!" really? Phones have been doing that way before the iPhone. His marketing is making bigger idiots out of the idiots that these people already were, yes thats you.

They don't want to take on flash? Fine, but there are going to be 5 more iPad releases before flash starts disappearing. You think they're doing you a favor conserving battery? Nope, they're limiting what you can do with your device and you like it. They took an iPhone and gave it a bigger screen, what's the invention here that everyone creamed their pants over?

I just don't understand how people can be so easily sucked into the marketing, people are really becoming less informed and in turn dumber.

I don't hate Apple, I hate the fact that they release a dated product and everyone is like "OMG WTF this is the greatest thing anyone ever invented!".
    Like I always say, kudos to them for being able to do so.

People like iOS because it is the SIMPLEST os EVER created, for people, that at their age need to still be spoon fed. It did look cool at first, but 5 generations later and it is practically identical to the first, at least change the damn icons.
    It works well because they tell you what you can, and cannot do, there is zero sense of individuality, every single phone and iPad is identical to the next. Sure you can jailbreak it to customize it, but do you have to do so with any other device? I don't think so.

My friend the other day posted on his facebook, "how do I reset my iPhone"... it must've hung up or something. People with iPhones were telling him to bash it with a rock.

I told him to pull the battery for jokes sake.

Another friend had the lock button / power button go on him, I told him to pull the battery also

I never aired out before, but I think its time. I expect to be flamed, but don't hate me because I don't like being told what I can and cannot do with my device. I also know why apple does things the way they do, release a product, a year later add a usb port and sell just as many. It's all about the money and they are doing a good job of making lots of it.
    Everyone wants to make money, but I'd rather stick with companies that at least pretend to cater to their customers. The end.
    04-01-11 04:37 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD