Hello All.

Does any member use the app 'Navigator'? If so, can you tell me if it can be used continuously? Osmand+ times out after 5 minutes and requires a swipe to reactivate. Not safe when driving. Please don't tell me about Magellan compass. I have never got it to work. All I want to know is if the app Navigator allows use after 5 minutes.

Regards to all (except BB).

Ross .
    07-21-13 05:17 AM
    Not me, but I have for some time been considering seeing what happens if I do a factory reset of one of my PlayBooks (...if I can find ye olde backuppe :P), and roll in the OS updates (current: 2.1.0.1526) one by one, because something at the back of my head persists that the issue didn't use to be quite that bad.

If anybody can confirm or refute; please do before I make up my mind. :7
    07-21-13 06:44 AM
    The screen will always blank after 5 mins as this is how BB designed the PB. If you want to use the voice guidance then you will need to download the free app StayOn. If you run this and Navigator part-screen then Navigator stays active even with a blank screen

EDIT- Will have to go into PB settings and under General set Application Behaviour to Showcase
    nealjane likes this.
    07-21-13 06:49 AM
    Thank you for the replies. None however are from anyone using 'Navigator'. All I want is an answer regarding Navigator. If you use Navigator does it stay on when in use, same as watching a film.

Obviously I have tried showcase, screen on etc.

Regards to all (except BB)

Ross
    07-21-13 07:12 AM
    07-21-13 10:08 AM
    I believe Magellan maps is the only one that stays awake on its own
    07-21-13 10:11 AM
    Have it, ran it just the other day, used offline maps, turn by turn voice, stayed on the whole trip.

Also, the dev's are highly responsive with any question or issue you may have.
    Last edited by BB10QNX; 07-21-13 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Added info
    rossjackson01 likes this.
    07-21-13 10:22 AM
    Hello All.

Does any member use the app 'Navigator'? If so, can you tell me if it can be used continuously? Osmand+ times out after 5 minutes and requires a swipe to reactivate. Not safe when driving. Please don't tell me about Magellan compass. I have never got it to work. All I want to know is if the app Navigator allows use after 5 minutes.

Regards to all (except BB).

Ross .
    I don't have Navigator, but I do have Osmand. FWIW, Osmand is an open source app, which means others are allowed to take the app, modify it, and then distribute the modified version. See Nogago maps, which is Osmand modified to emphasize usage for hiking. The reason that I bring this up is that from looking at the screen shots of Navigator in app world, it also seems to be a modified version of Osmand. As such, I wouldn't expect Navigator to be much different than Osmand, including the timeout issue Add to this the fact that Osmand is free and Navigator is paid, I wouldn't go for Navigator..
    07-21-13 04:15 PM
    Thank you BB10QNX for your reply regarding your use of Navigator. Exactly what I asked for.

Cynycl,, Pacoman03. Thank you for your information. As stated I have knowledge of, and have used, Osmand and Magellan. Neither of which are suitable for Sat Nav use.

Ross
    OzDude likes this.
    07-21-13 06:39 PM
    Navigator is a really good app.

From the navigator dev:

"For standby issue, it is related to playbook OS, BlackBerry will solve it as I heard. Actually, in new BB10 os, this issue has been solved already."
    07-21-13 06:48 PM
    Thank you BB10QNX for your reply regarding your use of Navigator. Exactly what I asked for.
    Ross
    Are you sure about that? Is he talking about Navigator on the PB or on a BB10 phone? Look at his user name, and then his profile. This is the PB forum, so I do assume you're asking about Navigator on the PB.
    07-21-13 07:21 PM
    Have it, ran it just the other day, used offline maps, turn by turn voice, stayed on the whole trip.

Also, the dev's are highly responsive with any question or issue you may have.
    I use it all the time and it always times out. Offline maps and using it to follow a route. Wonder why yours does not time out.
    07-21-13 10:04 PM
    Thank you Pacoman01 and jbadowski. I did wonder about that. BB10QNX, can you confirm the use on a Playbook?

Blackman91. The comment from the developer means that Navigator on the Playbook will never be able to run continuously. BB are not going to do any admin to the O/S. Back to using the Nexus.

Thank you to all for your comments.

Last edited by rossjackson01; 07-22-13 at 05:50 AM.
    07-22-13 04:07 AM
    Apologies rossjackson01, didn't catch this was posted PB thread until coming back here, using on BB10 phone.
    07-22-13 04:34 PM
    Navigator is a really good app.

From the navigator dev:

"For standby issue, it is related to playbook OS, BlackBerry will solve it as I heard. Actually, in new BB10 os, this issue has been solved already."
    If that were true then the Origami dev would have to rely on BB tosolve it too. But he has built stay awake into his app, as have many others. Why cannot these devs share knowledge about such code and build it into apps that need it? We all know stay awake will never be built onto OS2.x
    Last edited by jarviser; 07-22-13 at 04:46 PM. Reason: ***** typist
    07-22-13 04:44 PM
    If that were true then the Origami dev would have to rely on BB tosolve it too. But he has built stay awake into his app, as have many others. Why cannot these devs share knowledge about such code and build it into apps that need it? We all know stay awake will never be built onto OS2.x
    Navigator is an android port, only native apps can do that like magellan compass.
    07-22-13 04:56 PM
    Navigator is an android port, only native apps can do that like magellan compass.
    So why they charge us for inferior leveraged apps? I paid good money for Osmand+
    07-22-13 05:01 PM
    So why they charge us for inferior leveraged apps? I paid good money for Osmand+
    Blame RIM for its crappy android runtime.
    07-22-13 05:53 PM
    Blame RIM for its crappy android runtime.
    and failure to update it
    FF22 likes this.
    07-22-13 05:56 PM
    and failure to update it
    What are you talking about. As we've learned over the past two weeks - most pb users are overjoyed that bbry did not waste funds on a dead platform. But with a stock price pennies about $9.00, nobody else is spending money on it either.
    07-22-13 06:47 PM