Had the playbook a couple of days now, noticed it has Bing maps. As I drive for a living in the uk I thought I would try it. I have a Garmin sat nav that I usually use but would like a backup in case it fails.
    Switched it on and it requires a wifi connection. So that put an end to that!

Is there any recommended navigation apps out there (for uk roads) that will use the gps on the playbook and not require an internet connection?
    It doesen't have to be any thing stunning as it is just a backup if the garmin fails.

Cheers
    11-12-12 03:20 PM
    If you have a BlackBerry phone on 7.1 use mobile hotspot for the PlayBook connection.

Btw I downloaded "M8" satnav for free on my 9900 last week. It worked perfectly.
    11-12-12 04:02 PM
    The only offline map app I know is Mapdroyd, an android port that uses reasonably recent Openstreetmap data. Locates you easily, with all the details of Openstreetmap (including houses/buildings in most cities), but no navigation, just location.
    I'm definitely interested in such an app; bought the Magellan app, which does not work offline (there is a caching system, which abandons you as soon as you get offtrack two streets away), didn't find anything else for now...
    11-12-12 04:31 PM
    Osmand. It has downloadable maps for offline use, voice guided navigation, plus it can calculate and recalculate a route offline- probably the only app available for the PB that can do this (other than Nogago, which is basically the same app as it's an offshoot of Osmand). Plus, it's free and available in app world.
    Magellan and Google maps (which needs to be sideloaded) also have navigation, but I believe that both need a data connection to calculate routes.
    11-12-12 04:47 PM
    Osmand and magellan will cache maps while "Maps using Google Maps " by sandsoft works extremely well with bridge.
    11-12-12 07:54 PM
    Osmand. It has downloadable maps for offline use, voice guided navigation, plus it can calculate and recalculate a route offline- probably the only app available for the PB that can do this (other than Nogago, which is basically the same app as it's an offshoot of Osmand). Plus, it's free and available in app world.
    Magellan and Google maps (which needs to be sideloaded) also have navigation, but I believe that both need a data connection to calculate routes.
    +1 I use Osmand here in Colombia and it's actually really accurate.
    11-12-12 08:05 PM