I've been trying out the native email app on the PlayBook. I've set it up with one of my Shaw email accounts (the setup wizard obtained the settings automatically) and it's been checking the emails just fine.

I've noticed that when I delete the message from the PlayBook, it also deletes it from the mail server. My phone at least gives me the option to delete local only or delete from both phone and server.

Tips? Thanks!
    08-05-12 12:41 PM
    No tips to give. I've already reported this to RIM and they are aware of it, but infortunitely believe this is the way it should work. I've explained the phone give the option and they have stated that perhaps they will build this option into future builds, but for now, it is what it is.

Mike
    08-05-12 01:03 PM
    Don't delete emails on your PB. Rim will do it for you after 30 days max. Yes, I know, that's dumb dumb dumb. But hey, it's the Rim we've come to know and love.
    08-06-12 11:08 AM
    Don't delete emails on your PB. Rim will do it for you after 30 days max. Yes, I know, that's dumb dumb dumb. But hey, it's the Rim we've come to know and love.
    Which is basically why my PB is now an expensive paperweight.

Completely asinine for a company, who made its money on messaging, calendaring, and e-mail, to put out a tablet device without these functions...then, when the light finally goes on in someone's head that maybe these should be a part of the OS...they do this.

And, with several chances to correct it since with OS updates...and it still deletes messages from the server...no wonder RIM is nearly tits-up.

RIM's last chance for me is BB10...if it ever sees the light of day.

If this BS isn't fixed in BB10...RIM has lost me forever...and likely many others as well.
    08-06-12 12:25 PM
    Do you folks not have the option to keep message on server or it doesn't work?
    I have two Verizon accounts that stay on the server.
    08-06-12 12:33 PM
    Ok, I did put on my n00b cap when I started the thread.

It looks like the auto-setup for my Shaw email set it up to use their wm.shawcable server, which is webmail. I assume that it's set it up much like Outlook would function in an exchange environment where you're working off the server and not on the PC.

I haven't tried the POP settings yet, but if that deletes from the server too then there's a problem.

This really doesn't help "plug and play" folks who rely on wizards to get it set up, does it?

Now for my next rant: Can't sync Outlook contacts to the PlayBook's native contacts app...
    08-06-12 12:35 PM
    Oh the option is there, it just doesn't work. The only type of account that this should work the way it is currently working for is an exchange account. The problem with the exchange account is that while you can sort emails into other folders, you cannot see the email once it has been moved to another folder.

As far as other types of accounts go, having the leave on server turned on still deletes the email off the server when deleted on the PB. This is one of only a few gripes I have about the PB.
    08-06-12 12:40 PM
    Ah, so if the "leave a copy" option is set, it still deletes them? I guess I won't bother trying to set it up as a POP3 account then.

Whatever, that's what Bridge is for
    08-06-12 12:59 PM
    I, too, noticed emails disappearing when I want them to STAY PUT on the server. My pb is a portable device. That means that I don't want to load it up with tons of emails forever but that does not mean I want my emails deleted at their source. Does not seem like an unusual situation. When folks lose critical email, they are going to be very unhappy with the way rim has rigged this.
    diegonei and Cracklen like this.
    08-06-12 01:12 PM
    Whatever, that's what Bridge is for
    That's all well & good...but if you are tethering through something other than a BB phone...or using a Wi-Fi connection...or even perhaps the new 4g version of the PB...then you still have a big problem, if you do not want your messages permanently deleted from an e-mail server.

As stated elsewhere here...a very stupid move on RIM's part.
    08-07-12 11:19 AM
    I, too, noticed emails disappearing when I want them to STAY PUT on the server. My pb is a portable device. That means that I don't want to load it up with tons of emails forever but that does not mean I want my emails deleted at their source. Does not seem like an unusual situation. When folks lose critical email, they are going to be very unhappy with the way rim has rigged this.
    I too am not all happy about this "feature". I want to be able to receive emails and have them stay on both PB and my laptop. I use Windows Live Mail nad Outlook.com. Both are set to leave email on server. But for POP accounts, I see no option in current Messaging to set that up on the PB.

PB is not alone in this. i read this on a MS forum (Windows Phone Forum):
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...ml#post1544441

One of my clients just purchased a Focus to use with his business POP email account. He uses Outlook on his desktop PC and all works relatively well.

I set up the Focus to work with his POP email. The setup was simple and easy. He downloaded his first batch of mail and immediately asked what to do now with all of the email now in his phone inbox.

No problem, I said. I had checked previously and knew that the default behavior of the Windows 7 phone POP email client was to leave the email on the POP server so I knew that if he deleted the email on his phone it would still be there for him to download and reply to on his desktop PC. "Delete away", I told him. "It will still be there and will download on your desktop PC".

Apparently I was wrong and/or I was given wrong information about what the phone does to his POP email.

Every message that he deleted from his phone also was deleted from his POP email server.

WTF Microsoft?????

I double checked the phone settings and yes, it is POP, and no, there is not any configurable settings for this behavior.

RANT ON -

POP email is incredibly basic and simple. POP email has been around for years. Pretty much everyone with reasonable tech skills knows how POP email works and how to setup, use and configure POP email clients.

EXCEPT MICROSOFT!!!

This is not IMAP. It's POP. It's supposed to behave a certain way. Mail should not be deleted from the POP server unless expressly deleted by a POP client that is purposefully configured to delete email from the POP server.

Apparently the Windows 7 phone POP client does leave the messages on the POP server after it downloads them, but when the messages are deleted from the phone they are also deleted from the POP server with no way to modify this behavior.

THIS IS WRONG!!! I can't believe that Microsoft made such a fundamental mistake with such as fundamental and basic system as POP email. The Windows 7 phone POP email client should not delete any email from the POP server unless we are given a way to configure and/or modify this behavior.

MS needs to fix this and make the Windows 7 phone POP client behave like any other normal POP email client.

RANT OFF -

Does anyone know of any hidden tweaks or hacks to fix this issue?

Using IMAP or forwarding email to another account does not really fix anything and it's just plain clunky to have to do something like that as a work-around.

This is a deal breaker for the my client (and customer of AT&T). If I can't fix this then the phone goes back, plain and simple. It will most surely be replaced by a phone with a proper POP email client.
    12-10-12 09:51 AM
    I've been noticing that W8 is acting a lot like pbos but even more limited in options and settings.
    12-10-12 10:00 AM
    Funny, I have NEVER seen that. I'll add one of my "never add to the PlayBook" email accounts and see if I can locate that switch.

Edit: Ok now, how did you do that?

Edit: It may take a while till we see a fix, but at least now I know the right people have been warned.
    Last edited by diegonei; 12-10-12 at 01:50 PM.
    12-10-12 01:10 PM
    At first this deleting "feature" bothered me. Mainly because I did not know about it.

But now, I have set up my POP accounts (using Windows Live Mail) to retain messages on my ISP's servers for 60 days. I retrieve messages on both laptop and Playbook. But with this "feature", if I use PB first, I can delete messages that I don't want to keep very easily while retaining teh ones I want to keep. When I open WLM on my laptop the important messages will be there and even if PB causes them to be deleted from server after 30 days, that shouldn't be a problem unless I didn't look at the laptop for 30 days. If I knew I would be away for 30+ days, I could always forward important emails to Gmail as an example.

OK I feel better now
    12-13-12 11:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD