what are the advantages of having a native email? i use my emails using bridge fine but i'm thinking whether i should add accounts in my PB for the native email. what are the pros and cons of having it.

Tell us whether you use native or bridge email

Thanks
    Last edited by stark4; 04-14-12 at 09:36 PM.
    04-14-12 01:27 PM
    con: getting notifications of emails you already got on your desktop and on your bb phone ^^ (at least that's the case for me)
    04-14-12 01:42 PM
    I personally don't use it, nor is it allowed on our work PBs, but I could see the use of it if you use your PB a lot out of the presence of your phone or don't keep Bridge enabled all the time.
    04-14-12 02:12 PM
    what are the advantages of having a native email? i use my emails using bridge fine but i'm thinking whether i should add accounts in my PB for the native email. what are the pros and cons of having it.

Thanks
    con: messages don't automatically delete from your phone inbox. So you have to delete in both places. I've turned off my bridge email but I am thinking of turning off the native email and going back to bridge email only native is beautiful looking, especially for images (which is why I've not gone back to bridge email yet) but the extra work is getting annoying. I wish it would synch two ways with my BlackBerry.

Pro: the native messaging looks beautiful.
    04-14-12 03:15 PM
    Pros:
    1. You don't have to use two batteries to read your mail
    2. Available if your phone's battery is dead
    3. Great formatting options

Cons:
    1. Slow
    2. Sometimes requires manual syncing with your BB.
    3. Security (with Bridge when the BT connection closes, your mail is not a concern anymore).
    04-14-12 03:31 PM
    con: messages don't automatically delete from your phone inbox. So you have to delete in both places. I've turned off my bridge email but I am thinking of turning off the native email and going back to bridge email only native is beautiful looking, especially for images (which is why I've not gone back to bridge email yet) but the extra work is getting annoying. I wish it would synch two ways with my BlackBerry.

Pro: the native messaging looks beautiful.
    So if I deleted the email message in pb native email.. Do I still need to delete in my bb phone?

If it is true than its really a downside of pb. Even if I delete the email message using the computer I don't have to delete again in my bb phone.
    04-14-12 04:01 PM
    i use the pb native email for my personal accounts, and the bridge for my work account. (having the ability to encrypt the phone memory, and SD card are a big plus)

whenever i bridge, all accounts are right there on the pb.

i still receive personal emails on the phone, but use the bridge options to only display my work email when bridged.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    04-14-12 04:43 PM
    So if I deleted the email message in pb native email.. Do I still need to delete in my bb phone?

If it is true than its really a downside of pb. Even if I delete the email message using the computer I don't have to delete again in my bb phone.
    Correct, if you delete the email from your Playbook you still must delete it from your phone - and vice-versa.
    04-14-12 04:50 PM
    I use native email for my "dump" email address. It does not go to my desktop or my phone. I don't have facebook and linkedin on my phone, so I can use the PlayBook to email those contacts.
    04-14-12 04:54 PM
    i use the same email address for both, i received some PDF's by email i could view them on my fone bt not on pb unless i used bridge mail?? anyone know why?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-14-12 05:11 PM
    Tell us whether you use native or bridge email with playbook
    04-14-12 09:38 PM
    I have gone back and forth a few times. Now I'm using native primarily.
    It's easy enough to mark prior open/delete on the phone so the duplicates don't bother me so much.
    04-15-12 07:40 AM
    Native mostly, just cause its easier and more convenient to not have to connect my BlackBerry to it if all I want to do is go through some email. I do bridge my work phone on occasion though if I want to work on the bigger screen.
    04-15-12 09:35 AM
    Native mail is for those who doesn't own a BlackBerry phone.
    04-15-12 11:20 AM
    I would make some changes to your list.

Pros:
    1. You don't have to use two batteries to read your mail (I don't believe that reading or composing email puts any appreciable load on your BB battery -- although if you have vibrate notification enabled, then that certainly would.)
    2. Speed. Native app response is faster than Bridge because there's no Bluetooth communication delay.
    3. Available if your phone's battery is dead
    4. Great formatting options

Cons:
    1. Slow (I think you meant to put this in a Cons list for Bridge, not for native, which is faster than Bridge.)
    2. Sometimes requires manual syncing with your BB. Unless you have an Exchange AutoSync account, there is no syncing of deletions, unread marks, folders, etc with your mail server.
    3. Unless you have an Exchange AutoSync or GMail account, there is no syncing of contacts with your mail server.
    4. Security (with Bridge when the BT connection closes, your mail is not a concern anymore).
    Canuck671 likes this.
    04-15-12 11:34 AM
    Native mail is for those who doesn't own a BlackBerry phone.
    Righhhht...

I own a BlackBerry and I use native email.
    04-15-12 01:19 PM
    If ones own a blackberry, native e-mail of the PB is great for three (and perhaps only three) things:

1. Formatting outgoing messages for non-BES routed messages.
    2. Setting up accounts that you don't want (or are prohibited from having) on your Blackberry
    3. Downloading attachments that may be too large for the Blackberry.

The significance of these three things will vary buy user, of course.

I set up the local e-mail client, but I am really wondering why. Bridge works while out and about, the local one does not. I have to manage both In Boxes. It is starting to seem rather silly to actively use both.
    04-15-12 01:34 PM
    I use the native e-mail for some accounts as a convenience, but use the bridge for some e-mail accounts that are my primary e-mail accounts on my BB phone. Mostly a work vs. personal thing really, but love having the choice as apposed to having little or no choice in the matter.
    04-15-12 01:40 PM
    I was a native email naysayer until I started using it. It is convenient and easy to read. It is NOT worth all the fuss it caused, at least to me. I dont have all my accounts on the Playbook so I still use the bridged email feature, it's still awesome.
    04-15-12 03:44 PM
    The only reason why i prefer bridge email is landscape mode. Why on Earth did RIM release native email application without landscape is beyond me.
    04-15-12 03:52 PM
    The only reason why i prefer bridge email is landscape mode. Why on Earth did RIM release native email application without landscape is beyond me.
    ?? I use the native e-mail in landscape all the time.
    04-16-12 08:32 AM
    One feature I'd like to see is for the Bridge mail to be limited to only those email accounts that I display on my Blackberry Messages on the handheld homescreen. I only keep my work email under Blackberry Messages. I keep my home email under a separate folder on my Blackberry, and I also have home email on my Playbook native mail (along with ancillary email accounts). Its visually much better to read on the Playbook but I don't always have my PB with me so I also keep my home email on my Blackberry.

The upshot is that I read my home email on my P. Under native mail and my work email on my PB through the bridge. But the default email setting on the Bridge pulls my work and home emails together so I have to always re-select my work email account under the bridge.
    04-27-12 09:03 AM
    Question..

Just got my Playbook last night..hooked it up via microHDMI-HDMI to my TV - and was using my 9930 as a remote..

When in the Native email app - I was able to enter an address/pick a contact, enter a text subject (using the 9930); however, I was unable to enter any text into the body of the message.

On the other hand - I was able to enter text to the body of the message (still using my 9930 as a remote) when using the BB Bridge app to access my 9930's messages..

Hopefully that made sense - has anyone else experienced this? Am I missing something or is that typical (doesn't seem like it should be)?

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me after reading this thread, though - apparently I should ditch using the Native PB email altogether.
    04-27-12 09:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD