How about:
    You work for CIA and you suspect that she is with KGB, but you really don't want her to think you don't trust her
    Clearly in that scenario, you shouldn't use the PlayBook: it's too secure.

Use and iPad or Android tablet, load them up with some third-party security "add-on", and since you're both spies she'll understand that you really do trust her since you haven't really taken any steps that prevent her from getting your data. :-)
    01-15-12 10:23 AM
    Tablets in general as opposed to a personal phone are more likely to be shared/borrowed with others whether for a minute or longer so native e-mail is turned off with the home bound iPad. PCs as we all know have the capability to separate the administrator and guest accounts. I cannot tell you truthfully whether I'm CIA/Taliban/KGB or not but some e-mails are personal and confidential. The PB is my "LITTLE BLACKBOOK" which I will have to protect from any and all intruders.....thanks Rim
    I'm not sure how the blackberry home/work system will be implemented (I don't recall it's actual name) but I imagine there is some kind of protection built in to cover this "sharing" scenario. Maybe a temporary lock of private information?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    AggreX likes this.
    01-15-12 10:27 AM
    I'm not sure how the blackberry home/work system will be implemented (I don't recall it's actual name) but I imagine there is some kind of protection built in to cover this "sharing" scenario. Maybe a temporary lock of private information?
    The "Balance" system appears to require that you enter a work-specific password to unlock the work features. That lets you have the tablet at home, in use by family or friends, without risk of your work-related content being access by them.
    AggreX likes this.
    01-15-12 10:34 AM
    The "Balance" system appears to require that you enter a work-specific password to unlock the work features. That lets you have the tablet at home, in use by family or friends, without risk of your work-related content being access by them.
    Balance! Thank you! So they did think about the scenario and planned accordingly. Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    01-15-12 10:44 AM
    I don't own a BB cellphone and my primary email client is Outlook. A native email client on the PB is a must have for me. OS 2.0 integration with social networks is a big plus too.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about what is important to them. If RIM expected the Playbook to be a big success then why would they limit their customer base to only BB cellphone users. RIM learned a valuable lession in marketing and I hope it is not too late to recover.

You get only one shot to make a good first impression. Lose a customer and they may never come back!
    01-15-12 10:47 AM
    So the Balance system means my "Little" Black Book's contacts and personal tweets/email/etc remain secured in a "shared" environment.
    01-15-12 10:49 AM
    I look forward to the improved (native) e-mail capabilities in OS2 but it could become an issue if I lend my PB/tablet to anyone for a minute or longer.
    Well, on a quick "loan" would you be disabling the Bridge access to email? Not much difference, although I guess you can turn off Bridge if you wanted whereas I don't know what native email will do. Will we be able to hide icons or lock apps (that would be nice)
    01-15-12 10:58 AM
    So the Balance system means my "Little" Black Book's contacts and personal tweets/email/etc remain secured in a "shared" environment.
    I'm not so sure about that scenario, if by "shared" you mean sharing your tablet with family.

The one I described was where you've got corporate accounts on the system. I saw in one of the videos that someone had to enter a password to enable the corporate access, which presumably unlocks the encrypted filesystem and so forth.

If you have personal accounts, I have no idea if or how they might be protected from viewing by anyone, other than with the overall PlayBook password.

Now that I think of it, I suppose we don't really know yet whether there's even going to be that same overall PlayBook password, and a corporate one that reveals another "layer", or whether there will be two separate passwords, one for personal and one for corporate, or something else entirely.

I think all I can say is that it appears RIM did at least think of the scenario where people at home share their tablet with family, and the corporate data is secure from them. What happens in any other scenario, I have no real idea yet. I trust it will make sense....
    AggreX likes this.
    01-15-12 11:05 AM
    How about:
    You work for CIA and you suspect that she is with KGB, but you really don't want her to think you don't trust her
    That would make a GREAT film! Wait! Didn't Branjelina do this with Mr. & Ms. Smith?
    01-15-12 11:07 AM
    How about:
    That would make a GREAT film! Wait! Didn't Brangelina do this with Mr. & Ms. Smith?
    01-15-12 11:09 AM
    Agreed! Thing is, Bridge was never meant as a feature as much as a workaround. It was to bridge the email gap for a couple of months, tops. It was never intended to become a religion. Certainly, it was never supposed to be viewed as a replacement for email and PIM. That is something the fan base made of it. In their wildest dreams, RIM never thought of bridge email as a security feature. They were trying to go native as fast as they could. RIM would love us all to forget the days when the PB didn't have native email and PIM. They were never proud of that. Nor should we be.
    It turns out the Bridge has never been bullet-proof either:

BlackBerry Playbook Security Flaw Exposes Email
    01-15-12 12:25 PM
    people can still use the browser to check emails.

i wouldnt feel comfortable having a dedicated email app that anyone can access since i leave my tablet at home. i like to keep that stuff with me
    I can use browser to do many things, but with added inconvenience and limitations. If you have used dedicated email client long enough, you will know.

If the security is the issue, when you leave your tablet at home you can turn that on.

If you leave your tablet at home most of the time, you probably don't need the tablet (especially 7" form factor).
    01-15-12 01:01 PM
    I hate waste. This is exactly why I never bothered to add e-mail accounts to my iPod Touch; those e-mail accounts are already on my phone which is always with me. For a Playbook owner who also has a Blackberry phone, this is a bit of a quandary. The genius of the Playbook lies in its bridge function. Being able to view my e-mails on my Playbook only when I want to. Adding e-mail accounts to my Playbook will mean duplicating the accounts that already exist on my phone. I was sure I would not set up the accounts, until I saw how RIM is integrating all correspondence - social and otherwise - into one cohesive hub. Now, it seems that I will set up native e-mail accounts after all, especially if deleting an e-mail on my Playbook will also delete it from my Blackberry, and vice-versa.
    01-15-12 01:24 PM
    I never got the email client thing either. I haven't used email software since well... windows 3 point something probably. The whole native email thing seems like its there for the baby boomers that haven't retired yet. its not 1995. email is web based.
    01-15-12 01:24 PM
    I never got the email client thing either. I haven't used email software since well... windows 3 point something probably. The whole native email thing seems like its there for the baby boomers that haven't retired yet. its not 1995. email is web based.
    While we have been through it before - one more time: I have email accounts on 3 or 4 different systems, yahoo, at&t, compuserve, gmail - each webmail interface is different and some are less friendly than others. Then there's the entire - I want to read it on an airplane where no internet is available so I download it IN ADVANCE and read and reply while flying.

My bb phone filters email so I only get some of my email - important friends and contacts. But I want to see, sort through and read the rest at some point - in a friendly unified interface.

Do NOT use it if it does not suit your purpose. Frankly, I will not be using the "social interface" aspect since I have no FRIENDS in that sense of the word. I do not do facebook and I only tweet for traffic updates and npr political stories.
    01-15-12 01:51 PM
    Haha. I hope you understand that you are comparing a 7" screen device with no physical keyboard and a mouse to computers. Web-based email just doesn't work the same way on a smaller touch operated screen. With all this said, I can speculate that more youngsters use email apps on their phones and tablets than us, "old farts" for the same reason - it is much easier to work with your email. Especially, if you have multiple accounts.

Besides, I hate checking my corporate email on the Playbook as we don't have a version of the email website that is optimized for mobile devices. So deleting unwanted messages alone takes a lot of precision, trial and error, and, most importantly, time for me.

Edit: Most importantly, I want to check my email only when new messages arrive and I want to be notified when they are received.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 01-15-12 at 03:57 PM.
    01-15-12 02:48 PM
    We always talk about how RIM needs to market the these things, well the way I see it native email missing was free negative press that they simply could not afford to fail to address. Added it, and see how much positive marketing they got from CES.

I'm personally looking forward to native email, not only because it looks great and I'll definitely be using it, also because I won't need to listen to this bad press anymore about the native email!
    Last edited by blue-b; 01-15-12 at 02:59 PM.
    AggreX and JBenn911 like this.
    01-15-12 02:48 PM
    We always talk about how RIM needs to market the these things, well the way I see it native email missing was free negative press that they simply could not afford to fail to address. Added it, and see how much positive marketing they got from CES.
    Do you work for RIM marketing perchance?
    01-15-12 03:45 PM
    Do you work for RIM marketing perchance?
    No, I'm in the weather number crunching business, it would actually be fun place to work I would imagine if that was your expertise, and trying to turn things around though!
    01-15-12 04:04 PM
    Haha. I hope you understand that you are comparing a 7" screen device with no physical keyboard and a mouse to computers. Web-based email just doesn't work the same way on a smaller touch operated screen. With all this said, I can speculate that more youngsters use email apps on their phones and tablets than us, "old farts" for the same reason - it is much easier to work with your email. Especially, if you have multiple accounts.
    Just saying...you may eat your words when win 8 comes out.
    01-15-12 04:29 PM
    While we have been through it before - one more time: I have email accounts on 3 or 4 different systems, yahoo, at&t, compuserve, gmail - each webmail interface is different and some are less friendly than others. Then there's the entire - I want to read it on an airplane where no internet is available so I download it IN ADVANCE and read and reply while flying.

My bb phone filters email so I only get some of my email - important friends and contacts. But I want to see, sort through and read the rest at some point - in a friendly unified interface.

Do NOT use it if it does not suit your purpose. Frankly, I will not be using the "social interface" aspect since I have no FRIENDS in that sense of the word. I do not do facebook and I only tweet for traffic updates and npr political stories.

Yeah... you don't sound like a boomer at all.
    01-15-12 04:38 PM
    The PlayBook has to be a self-contained unit to be successful. A company cannot count on a base of their phone owners to be able to utilize features that should be there from the start. If Apple had released the iPad with the requirement that you needed an iPhone to make email, calendar, contacts, etc. work, there would have been an uproar of epic proportions and sales would not even near what they are today. The Bridge is a nice accessory feature for us BB users, providing in essence a free tethering function. I can hardly wait for the new native features!
    Very well said. I have a iPhone and didn't see how I could buy Playbook without natve e-mail. At $199.00 and new OS comming SOON was the reason I bought playbook.(Android apps is another good reason)
    01-15-12 04:49 PM
    "its not 1995. email is web based" - isn't this the kind of thinking that has put RIM where they are now?

War Is All We Know
    kennyliu and anon(2254645) like this.
    01-15-12 05:12 PM
    Yeah... you don't sound like a boomer at all.
    I have not only boomed - I've busted. I am at the bleeding BEGINNING edge of the caravan. For an OLD geezer I do pretty well with technology but I really do miss the IBM 360's I use to program in cobol!

But you tell me how you would get your email in a plane unless you spend those nifty dollars on in-air wifi. And, really, I fly very infrequently and sometimes only my phone accompanies me. It is just I've read and re-read the arguments for an against.

And I'll let you try logging into Compuserve (2 addresses), AT&T (5 address), 3 gmail addresses and a yahoo or so thrown in. Yup, I really do miss trying to use webmail on all of those accounts - very, very efficient. And they all work NOT identical. And that guy whose corp email ain't web-friendly?

And my filtered email? I guess I should just stop filtering out the riff raff.

But, again, the solution really is DO NOT USE IT IF IT DOES NOT SERVE YOUR PURPOSE.
    01-15-12 06:22 PM
    native pim would be sooo handy right now. i am out of town and forgot my blackberry. all my contact info are there. wish i had contacts on the pb.
    kennyliu and blue-b like this.
    01-15-12 06:37 PM
101 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD