Without native email and PIM, the PB is nothing more than an expensive accessory for a BB phone.
    Stopped reading there. Most myopic thing I've read all day. Ridiculous.
    01-14-12 12:21 PM
    IMO with native email and such you can market it to people other than blackberry owners. This is a far bigger pool than before. Yes the remote feature is good but again only appeals to blackberry users which is a smaller pool. For those without a BB the PB is a much better tablet option once OS 2 is released.
    Precisely. The reality of the PlayBook is that even BB users aren't buying at a high rate; there are 75+ million BB subscribers yet maybe 1 million PlayBooks sold. Even if we assume 80% of the amount sold are to BB subscribers you're looking at only ~1% of BB "subscribers" with PlayBooks. You absolutely must make the device attractive to non BB-users, since the numbers suggest BB users simply aren't buying.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-14-12 12:23 PM
    I don't get it. The op just assumes it's convenient for people to be using their tablet and have to go back to their phone every time an email comes in? Contrary to his possible narrow view, BB is a shrinking market and many, who even have smartphones in the first place (another assumption most likely) might find it tiresome to be working on their tablet and have to go to their phone every time they want to check an email. Or have image and file downloads from an email they don't want on their phone but do on their tablet.

Seems kind of narrow minded when more than just a handful have a tablet and phone running two different OS's. With that being said, the lack of any native PIM function is just a travesty on a tablet. So of course it's a big deal after having it promised and neglected for so long?

Compare that to the number of people that will actually stream to their tv AND have a blackberry to use as a remote? Sorry, but that's a geek feature that will be used by a small percentage in the grand scheme. Cool yes, but not as useful for the majority as native PIM functionality.

Personally, I'm impressed BB gave the ability to link calendar appts with contacts. That feature hasn't been around since 3rd party Palm OS apps. And Outlook style doesn't count because they are invites, and you have to annoy the contact with an invite email every time. I just want a history reference, not ask permission every time I try to link someone to an appt. That being said, I'm not giving up my Evo View for a playbook anytime soon unless I can do 3g/4g on it via Sprint. Having to tether gets on my nerves. $300 for a 64gb PB with OS2 is a pretty nice deal if you want a wifi only tablet.
    01-14-12 02:47 PM
    I am highly anticipating the native email because in using the gmail app (personal and school (edu) gmail), I cannot upload attachments from the compose new message screen. I know you have to switch to basic html/desktop view, but then that only allows me to send emails through my personal gmail and not my school (edu) gmail account.
    Frustrating, but it will soon be taken care of.
    01-14-12 02:55 PM
    That's why you have the Bridge.
    And what happens if you don't have reception or get your phone stolen? Some redundancy is a good thing, especially for businessmen and women who often travel and accidentally lose their phones.
    01-14-12 04:15 PM
    Yet another thread about how absolutely useless and unnecessary native email is TO THAT POSTER.

Hmm. Obviously, that means no one else needs it or wants it.

Don't need it - don't use it.
    kennyliu and blue-b like this.
    01-14-12 05:08 PM
    you are missing the point he is trying to make. Truncation cant be avoided. It the email is truncated by RIMs NOC you cant get it and there is no "get more"
    Watch the video...according to the RIM it was more a function of bandwidth. There will soon be no more truncating of emails with OS2/QNX.

http://crackberry.com/further-explan...-playbook-os-2
    01-14-12 06:03 PM
    To all the folks who think native email is useless, I think you should give it a try once OS2 comes out. RIM is not getting the credit it deserves. I've been critical at times, but the way RIM is implementing the native email and contacts is great. With the Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin integration, they are really making it more a social hub and not just an email app. If we can expect to see this in even more mature form with the BB10 phones, the RIMPIRE surely will have struck back!
    01-14-12 06:32 PM
    yes i like the combining on contacts and such. This is the way android works too. It does seem like RIM is doing a good job of mixing social and business here.
    01-14-12 08:56 PM
    Contact integration is on multiple platforms and an old feature. Even minimal support webos had it a long, long time ago.
    01-14-12 09:10 PM
    Contact integration is on multiple platforms and an old feature. Even minimal support webos had it a long, long time ago.
    From what I can tell, it's far beyond what you must think it is if you'd say that.
    blue-b, Angelo_Campher and AggreX like this.
    01-14-12 09:18 PM
    I personally prefer a native email app. I loved using the native iphone/ipad email app because I did not have to enter the password constantly. All emails could sync to that one app.

I am currently reading emails through the PC now cause gmail isn't showing online emails on the browser currently.
    01-14-12 09:33 PM
    I look forward to the improved (native) e-mail capabilities in OS2 but it could become an issue if I lend my PB/tablet to anyone for a minute or longer.
    01-14-12 11:11 PM
    people can still use the browser to check emails.

i wouldnt feel comfortable having a dedicated email app that anyone can access since i leave my tablet at home. i like to keep that stuff with me
    01-15-12 02:23 AM
    For me one of the fundamental things that I require from a tablet is not to have to be tied to a specific device for the basic fundamental features. I want the Playbook to be successful independent of Blackberry phones and not be dependent on them for basic features.

My hope is once OS2.0 hits in February it will open the door to buyers who then use the Playbook as a standalone tablet. The playbook may then gain wider appeal and a bigger selection of apps.

Hopefully people who don't have to add your email accounts to OS2.0 if you don't want too and continue to use BB bridge, and those who want to use the native apps can.
    I do want the option to work with my emails, or update contacts when I'm not within WIFI coverage or not using my BB Phone.

@ dontheman An option may be to Password protect your Playbook.
    Last edited by Teeceman1; 01-15-12 at 03:52 AM.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-15-12 03:01 AM
    When out of WiFi range will the native email app be able to use the bridge connection to sync messages and will it be possible to turn off certain features in bridge like email and contacts?

No use receiving the same email through bridge and the native client...
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-15-12 04:07 AM
    <snip>
    I don't get the 1999 backwards thinking that we need to have all our apps/email on every device. I would rather have 1 device with all my mail/data on it and have IT connect to different input/output devices.
    1999 backwards thinking ? Let's see I have a workstation at the office, a company issued laptop for field work, an iPad, an iMac at home, and a new BB phone. I use Mobile Me to keep it all in sync. All my email accounts are checked by MM. It doesn't matter what device I am using, and in the case of the iMac, what OS I am using, all my emails, contacts, notes, and appointments are the same. (The BB requires manual Outlook sync). Toss Evernote and Dropbox into the mix and I have files in sync. I don't have to switch devices or drive to the office to take care of stuff after hours. Lose a device or device blows up ? No problem. Replace or upgrade a device ? Again, no problem.

NOT having device synchronization is backwards thinking. It's so 1980s.
    Last edited by Mr.Willie; 01-15-12 at 04:21 AM.
    01-15-12 04:19 AM
    native email really is a bfd. It put rim on the map and is what Blackberries do best. If you are not a heavy email user, then I can understand why native email isn't a big deal. But for business users, it is IMPERATIVE and is the main reason why companies give their employees phones and/or tablets (to get employees to work and to check their email without paying them).
    Agree 100%, the op's view certainly does not reflect common opinion... the playbook (as with every other mainstream tablet) should have had native email from the start, and it was in my opinion inexcusable (bordering on insane even) that RIM released it without such a basic and integral feature. God knows how many sales that alone cost them.
    anon(2254645) and ralfyguy like this.
    01-15-12 04:51 AM
    Agree 100%, the op's view certainly does not reflect common opinion... the playbook (as with every other mainstream tablet) should have had native email from the start, and it was in my opinion inexcusable (bordering on insane even) that RIM released it without such a basic and integral feature. God knows how many sales that alone cost them.
    Agreed! Thing is, Bridge was never meant as a feature as much as a workaround. It was to bridge the email gap for a couple of months, tops. It was never intended to become a religion. Certainly, it was never supposed to be viewed as a replacement for email and PIM. That is something the fan base made of it. In their wildest dreams, RIM never thought of bridge email as a security feature. They were trying to go native as fast as they could. RIM would love us all to forget the days when the PB didn't have native email and PIM. They were never proud of that. Nor should we be.
    TBone4eva and pantlesspenguin like this.
    01-15-12 09:27 AM

i wouldnt feel comfortable having a dedicated email app that anyone can access since i leave my tablet at home. i like to keep that stuff with me
    Then I simply wouldn't just set up / sync my email in the native email app. That is, you can always choose not to use the app.
    missing_K-W likes this.
    01-15-12 09:43 AM

Alot of covert Secret Service/CIA/DIA/DOD types on this board. LOL! Why not just put a password on it and lock it?

Hmm... Unless you don't want to have to explain to someone WHY you have your PB locked. Maybe?
    AggreX likes this.
    01-15-12 09:50 AM
    Hmm... Unless you don't want to have to explain to someone WHY you have your PB locked. Maybe?
    Why would anyone ever have to justify or explain having locked their PlayBook?!

I do it all the time when I travel with it and don't give it a second thought.
    01-15-12 09:53 AM
    Alot of covert Secret Service/CIA/DIA/DOD types on this board. LOL! Why not just put a password on it and lock it?

Putting a lock on ANY device containing potentially sensitive personal information that you take out of the house is a sensible idea... that's the only explanation you need.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    01-15-12 10:00 AM
    Why would anyone ever have to justify or explain having locked their PlayBook?!

I do it all the time when I travel with it and don't give it a second thought.
    How about:
    You work for CIA and you suspect that she is with KGB, but you really don't want her to think you don't trust her
    AggreX likes this.
    01-15-12 10:02 AM
    Tablets in general as opposed to a personal phone are more likely to be shared/borrowed with others whether for a minute or longer so native e-mail is turned off with the home bound iPad. PCs as we all know have the capability to separate the administrator and guest accounts. I cannot tell you truthfully whether I'm CIA/Taliban/KGB or not but some e-mails are personal and confidential. The PB is my "LITTLE BLACKBOOK" which I will have to protect from any and all intruders.....thanks Rim
    01-15-12 10:16 AM
101 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD