As I patiently wait for native email (and 3G access) that supposed to come this summer. I'm wondering why there hasn't been any leaks as to screen shots or it's feature set. I think it would be RIM a world of goodness if a leak or two popped up.

Apple users know about the upcoming feature set in iOS 5, because of the vast amount of information available, but why not RIM? I dont' but the RIM's developers respect their NDR's over Apple developers.

It would seem that the more people testing this, the better the product will be. Show us some screen shots to get excited about. (I know they showed some screen shots at the recent developers conference in Florida, but the silence is deafening...

Thoughts?

PS. For those of you scoring at home, there are approx. 73 more days until "summer" is officially over...
    07-12-11 07:05 AM
    It'll come when it'll come. In the meantime relax, have a few beers and watch a game.
    chiefbroski and backslaps like this.
    07-12-11 07:13 AM
    It is not exactly true that there has been silence. The co-CEO's affirmed a few weeks ago that Playbook would not be competitive without Native e-mail (and a few other things as well).

So, it is coming and it is a huge priority for RIM.

It would be really nice if we had a roadmap and more concrete information but we aren't going to get that.

My best guess is September.
    07-12-11 07:16 AM
    My email works fine on my Playbook already. I really don't get this obsession with "native" email on a device that is currently WiFi only.
    07-12-11 07:24 AM
    My email works fine on my Playbook already. I really don't get this obsession with "native" email on a device that is currently WiFi only.
    Maybe you're not thinking about it from a corporate perspective. Native email is a big deal, and not everybody has a Blackberry phone, so the "bridge" is not an option for everybody.

Webmail is fine in a pinch, but without push notifications for email and calendar events, it's not worthy for business.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    07-12-11 07:33 AM
    What the person above said, and also you can WiFi tether any WiFi device to a smartphone for access to the internet even where WiFi does not exist.

Being WiFi Only is not an excuse for not having it on the device.
    07-12-11 07:36 AM
    Apple users know about the upcoming feature set in iOS 5, because of the vast amount of information available, but why not RIM? I dont' but the RIM's developers respect their NDR's over Apple developers.
    There are big differences. Apple showed iOS 5 publicly at WWDC in June, and released a developer preview of the OS the same day. RIM hasn't. I am sure somebody has seen/tested the features on the PB, but not in a way that is visible/leakable. Can't violate an NDA when there is nothing to disclose to begin with.
    07-12-11 07:38 AM
    Maybe you're not thinking about it from a corporate perspective. Native email is a big deal, and not everybody has a Blackberry phone, so the "bridge" is not an option for everybody.

Webmail is fine in a pinch, but without push notifications for email and calendar events, it's not worthy for business.
    How are you getting push email on your wifi or even connected laptop? Must be a corporate thing?

I do see a need for native email for those that don't own a bb.
    07-12-11 07:40 AM
    Does Ford do everything GM does?
    07-12-11 07:41 AM
    There are big differences. Apple showed iOS 5 publicly at WWDC in June, and released a developer preview of the OS the same day. RIM hasn't. I am sure somebody has seen/tested the features on the PB, but not in a way that is visible/leakable. Can't violate an NDA when there is nothing to disclose to begin with.
    RIM publicly showed native email at their developer conference in Florida this past spring, so it's a huge secret. But I understand your point as well... I still think it would benefit...
    chiefbroski likes this.
    07-12-11 07:48 AM
    How are you getting push email on your wifi or even connected laptop? Must be a corporate thing?

Our WiFi devices use VPN to get their email.
    07-12-11 07:51 AM
    I'm wondering why there hasn't been any leaks as to screen shots or it's feature set.
    show me one leak of anything QNX for RIM.
    07-12-11 07:52 AM
    Does Ford do everything GM does?
    No idea about Ford and GM.

My point about Apple was only for comparison purposes about showing the public what's up and coming, and not being so secretive about it.
    07-12-11 07:53 AM
    show me one leak of anything QNX for RIM.
    Exactly. That's my point. Mind you the next gen. of BB phones, was arguably leaked. Being so private and secretive, hasn't done them any favors...
    07-12-11 07:54 AM
    You will get native email when the PAS gets released, you won't see native email without it. Late summer, so not for probably at least a month and half.
    07-12-11 08:38 AM
    Didn't people learn that patience is a virtue?
    07-12-11 08:43 AM
    The co-CEO's affirmed a few weeks ago that Playbook would not be competitive without Native e-mail (and a few other things as well).
    Stop the presses! How did I miss this? Do you have a link to RIM publicly admitting that these missing features make the PB non-competitive? How is this possible? If RIM is no longer defending the lack of native email, why are their fans? If they knew their product was not competitive, why did they release it when they did? Seems RIM skipped amateur hour and went all the way to comedy hour.
    07-12-11 08:54 AM
    Here is a leaked document I found on the internet. It has been leaked by the upper executives straight from their scroodle app on their playbook. It looks official enough for me.

Attachment 89927
    07-12-11 08:55 AM
    Didn't people learn that patience is a virtue?
    What do you expect from members of Generation "Now"?

I'm actually very impressed with the level of secrecy RIM has managed to maintain with it's QNX development. By not giving release schedules, screenshots/videos of new features, etc., they haven't tipped off the competition to what they're doing so they could copy it. Even RIM employees aren't saying anything important to anyone outside the office. That's very un-RIM, and in my opinion very welcome.
    07-12-11 08:58 AM
    The "silence is deafening" because most people are tired of talking about it. Repeat after me... "60 days was a reference to a schedule, not a promise".

Most people by now, if Playbook and native email was soo important to them would have bought a BB phone. The other alternative was to sell or return the playbook, hence the welcome silence about the issue.

The other alternative is to wait ... silently and patiently.
    07-12-11 09:07 AM
    Silence is deafening, complaints are maddening!
    07-12-11 09:08 AM
    Stop the presses! How did I miss this? Do you have a link to RIM publicly admitting that these missing features make the PB non-competitive? How is this possible? If RIM is no longer defending the lack of native email, why are their fans? If they knew their product was not competitive, why did they release it when they did? Seems RIM skipped amateur hour and went all the way to comedy hour.
    "competitive" is a relative term.
    Competitive to what?
    07-12-11 09:09 AM

Maybe your corporation isn't thinking about it from a corporate perspective.
    Anyone with a corporate perspective would simply address this issue by simply getting a BB phone.
    Or why would they buy a product with a feature they "need" that doesn't have the feature they need?

What a dumb corporation.

07-12-11 09:11 AM

I see the need too, which is why they should just get another tab or a BB phone. Sheesh is it that hard to figure out?

I heard a rumor:

RIM is purposely withholding native email because they love reading the forums and laughing at people dumb enough to wait over 60 days. RIM is evil, you haven't heard?
    07-12-11 09:14 AM
    What do you expect from members of Generation "Now"?

I'm actually very impressed with the level of secrecy RIM has managed to maintain with it's QNX development. By not giving release schedules, screenshots/videos of new features, etc., they haven't tipped off the competition to what they're doing so they could copy it. Even RIM employees aren't saying anything important to anyone outside the office. That's very un-RIM, and in my opinion very welcome.
    I agree. I think they learned their lesson about the Q1 scheduled release of the playbook. People including RIM fans were slamming RIM. I think if they give any more dates and they miss them even by a day the same thing will happen. Even Mike got drawn into an interview where the interviewer was trying to ruffle feathers.

I say this silence is good for RIM. Two days after the last update people were already whining about when the next update will come. I don't care when it comes so long as it is smooth and improves the playbook. They were too open in the past and look at all the criticism they got. If they take the rest of the summer and it is all dialled in then so be it. If they take until Christmas, then it better be able to deck the halls.
    07-12-11 09:18 AM
84 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD