I've done some reading and someone posted a shot of the 'native email' running in a Blackberry Player. This led many to believe that the 'native email' we are all waiting on will be just a port of the email client found in OS7 running on QNX just like how there's a Android Player to run android apps.

So the question is...would this really be native email or do you consider native email QNX based?
    06-22-11 11:07 PM
    won't know until they give us more info
    06-22-11 11:13 PM
    The term "native email" refers to an email client that runs locally on the device and has a local cache of mail items and data.

So yes, a port running through a shim would still be considered native in this context, IMHO.
    06-22-11 11:20 PM
    Don't care, just want it! :-)

I am getting sick of the Bridge. I first thought it was a great idea, but...

- it's slow
    - the notifications are driving me up the wall (closing a notification does not mean I have read the message!)
    - The font is sometime blurry (no idea why)
    - no copy and paste
    - lost my keyboard (yes, swipe didn't work either, had to restart)
    - Tells me a word is spelt wrong but cant correct me like the phone does. (Isn't bridge working off the phone!?!)
    06-22-11 11:35 PM
    Native emails native in the sense that it is running locally/natively on the Playbook, but they are going to be running it in an App Player it appears, which is totally fine with me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-11 12:15 AM
    so..let look at it from a different angle..are most apps right now on the PB considered 'native' then since they all run on the PB even though it's not written with the native SDK?

Reason I ask is if OS7 is just a stop gap until QNX BB's come out, will we see a 2nd email client for the PB?
    Last edited by narci; 06-23-11 at 12:27 AM.
    06-23-11 12:25 AM
    I wish someone could explain to me why I need native email? I get email 24-7 on my phone, I get email on my playbook when I'm connected through, bridge, wifi, or tethered, so when exactly would I need native email, and what could I do with it.
    06-23-11 06:49 AM
    I wish someone could explain to me why I need native email? I get email 24-7 on my phone, I get email on my playbook when I'm connected through, bridge, wifi, or tethered, so when exactly would I need native email, and what could I do with it.
    You may not need it at all.

I need it.

If I want to use the Playbook as a real laptop replacement at times, I need to be able to access email and download and edit attchments. You can't do these things properly on a phone because of the screen size. You can kind of do this on the bridge but it is a real PITA. For some reason, you can open an attachment, but if you want to edit it, you have to save it on your phone. This really makes no sense.

Plus, the bridge is cumbersome. I have going through the steps needed to establish the connection.

Plus, all the people who don't own Blackberries want it too. If you want the platform to grow and become mainstream, it will be required.
    Lhendr and caboose01 like this.
    06-23-11 07:06 AM
    You would maybe want, not necessarily need native email if you don't own a blackberry. Native email only means an email client so like on a computer when you right click on a document you can use the send as email function and it will open up your email client so you can fill in the who to and send it.

On my computer I have outlook so it is my native client, I could have windows live mail or thunderbird or any of the other email clients available.

Windows 7 comes with no email client, you have to install the one of your choice.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 06-23-11 at 07:16 AM. Reason: add windows
    06-23-11 07:09 AM
    I've done some reading and someone posted a shot of the 'native email' running in a Blackberry Player. This led many to believe that the 'native email' we are all waiting on will be just a port of the email client found in OS7 running on QNX just like how there's a Android Player to run android apps.

So the question is...would this really be native email or do you consider native email QNX based?
    Why would anyone care what language a particular program or App is written in?

If the experience is seamless and high quality, I could care less. If it is laggy and limited because of emulation, that would certainly be an issue. If RIM does not release a perfect email experience, that would be a bad thing. I think that RIM sees this too which is why the "60 day" promise was broken.
    06-23-11 07:09 AM
    Why would anyone care what language a particular program or App is written in?

If the experience is seamless and high quality, I could care less. If it is laggy and limited because of emulation, that would certainly be an issue. If RIM does not release a perfect email experience, that would be a bad thing. I think that RIM sees this too which is why the "60 day" promise was broken.
    Read my last post. Just wanted some thought if there would be a 2nd 'native' email written on qnx since OS7 is a bandaid till QNX phone are released.

06-23-11 10:55 AM
    Read my last post. Just wanted some thought if there would be a 2nd 'native' email written on qnx since OS7 is a bandaid till QNX phone are released.

No one knows. Again, I personally don't care as long as everything works the way it should. Email, calendar, etc. are not very demanding on resources so I don't think we will have any issues. I hope I am right about this.
    06-23-11 11:50 AM

I need it.

If I want to use the Playbook as a real laptop replacement at times, I need to be able to access email and download and edit attchments. You can't do these things properly on a phone because of the screen size. You can kind of do this on the bridge but it is a real PITA. For some reason, you can open an attachment, but if you want to edit it, you have to save it on your phone. This really makes no sense.

Plus, the bridge is cumbersome. I have going through the steps needed to establish the connection.

Plus, all the people who don't own Blackberries want it too. If you want the platform to grow and become mainstream, it will be required.
    Ok, thank you, and you're right I really don't need it for my business but I do see where someone would. I don't ever need to edit an email attachment.
    06-23-11 01:34 PM

I need it.

How to make your PB to act like a real laptop, tether you PB to your phone any place, any time, open web browser, go to your email account....
    Michaelaw
    12-23-11 07:10 AM
    Seeing that no BlackBerry smartphone apps are going to run on the PlayBook using a player, I have a feeling that the native email will be native. I'm only guessing here but if they were to have a player for email, why not have a player that plays all BlackBerry smartphone apps and not just email, calendar, etc? They already said this wasn't going to happen so my guess is for true native PIM apps.
    Good question OP!
    12-23-11 10:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD