Wonder if there is anyone else confused with the usage of the bridged email app and the new native app as much as I am:

I have my BB Bold 9900 hooked to company's BES server, but I also use it to manage my private email. Before 2.0 that was simple - both email were synced to PB via bridge app.

Now, comes 2.0 and its new emiail application with extra features. The new email app does not sync with the BB over bridge so I need to continue to use bridged email app to receive my work emails. But the bridged email app also pulls my private emails as they are on my BB, in case I dont have the PB around. So, if I decide to use the native email for my private stuff I am getting these email twice on my PB - once on the bridged email app and once on the native one, which is annoying and confusing (eg. double notifications).

I know I could drop BES and try to sync my corporate email via ActiveSync but that is not possible for data security reasons. The only solution I see is simple ignore the new email app and continue to use bridged email only.

Doesn't it effectively make the new email app (as well as calendar and contacts) useless for people on BES?
    Last edited by domolsz; 02-21-12 at 10:00 AM.
    02-21-12 09:49 AM
    I'm in the same boat...
    02-21-12 09:55 AM
    Wonder if there is anyone else confused with the usage of the bridged email app and the new native app as much as I am:

I have my BB Bold 9900 hooked to company's BES server, but I also use it to manage my private email. Before 2.0 that was simple - both email were synced to PB via bridge app.

Now, comes 2.0 and its new emiail application with extra features. The new email app does not sync with the BB over bridge so I need to continue to use bridged email app. But the briedged email app also pulls my private emails as they are on my BB, in case I dont have the PB around. So, if I decide to use the native email for my private stuff I am getting these email twice on my PB - once on the bridged email app and once on the native one, which is annoying and confusing (eg. double notifications).

I know I could drop BES and try to sync my corporate email via ActiveSync but that is not possible for data security reasons.

Doesn't it effectively make the new email app (as well as calendar and contacts) useless for people on BES?
    I'm in the same boat as you -- BES on my PB only via Bridge, and the new native email just duplicating the personal email I can already receive via Bridge. I'm not constantly bridged, though, so it's nice that I can check my personal email on my PB when I'm just connected via wifi. (Or at least it will be once I'm able to set up all of my personal accounts on the PB, which I'm having a helluva time doing, grrr.) So I wouldn't call it useless, at least in that limited respect.

Still, in terms of email, it makes this a lesser device than my 9810, which gets everything all in one place all of the time.
    02-21-12 09:56 AM
    In bridge settings on the phone you can choose which email/calendars you want to bridge, so if it is already setup on PB just change the settings on phone bridge app (uncheck) the email/calendar for that account.
    02-21-12 09:59 AM
    Thanks z_scorio_z, that's a useful hint!

I wonder if I will still be able to receive my private emails on PB's native app while out of wifi range.

It would be ideal if we could make the native email app also pull the emails from the brigde app. We could then fully convert into the new richer email app.
    02-21-12 10:07 AM
    Thanks z_scorio_z, that's a useful hint!

I wonder if I will still be able to receive my private emails on PB's native app while out of wifi range.

It would be ideal if we could make the native email app also pull the emails from the brigde app. We could then fully convert into the new richer email app.
    Yes, via the Bridged IP. This will work...also if you are facebook, twitter and linked IN, you will be golden..
    02-21-12 10:10 AM
    If you can't directly connect to Exchange through ActiveSync, you'll have to wait for Mobile Fusion, which RIM says should be available around March
    02-21-12 10:11 AM
    If you can't directly connect to Exchange through ActiveSync, you'll have to wait for Mobile Fusion, which RIM says should be available around March
    That's if your company decides it's going to add Mobile Fusion. The company must also get the latest BES software. Unless the company is an active PB supporter, I don't think there will be any pressure on the company IT department to get Mobile Fusion. It will be needed for BB10 devices, though, which will force an interesting decision for many IT departments (particularly those who started off BB only, but are now BYO device).
    02-21-12 10:21 AM
    Unfortunately, the native app does not seem to work via bridged IP. I am receiving "Unable to connect to server. Please try again later" message when trying to connect to email server via BB (no wifi).

On the Mobile Fusion, indeed will be intersting to see what the businesses choose to do, but I thought this is a solution to manage multiple devices (BBs, iphone, androids) via a single platform.

I would have thought that this is not need just to ensure that new email app syncs with the BB via brigde to provide access to BES email. Or alternatively, they could build a new bridged app, which would have similar funcionality to the native app, but simply use bridge to sync with BB as it used to.

Anyway, thanks for your help everyone!
    02-21-12 10:44 AM
    " ActiveSync but that is not possible for data security reasons."
    Blame your IT staff. Activesync can use strong encryption just like BES.
    The functionality is there, your IT people just turned it off.
    02-21-12 10:47 AM
    I think some are now getting the point of thy RIM delivered on the bridged email earlier on and this is mostly how thing should work.
    02-21-12 10:49 AM
    In bridge settings on the phone you can choose which email/calendars you want to bridge, so if it is already setup on PB just change the settings on phone bridge app (uncheck) the email/calendar for that account.
    Much appreciated tip.
    Thanks so much.

Since it's a native app, it makes sense that it's seperate. Opens up the ability for those without a BB to use the PB.

However, now I need to delete the email in outlook, device AND PB. Really too much. With this option, I can take full advantage of the native email client, which is nicer than the bridged app, and not have 3 copies of my emails.

YOu are my current favorite hero.
    02-21-12 10:54 AM
    cntrydncr223, please let us know if this has worked for you and if you can receive emails in the native app also when you are outside wifi coverage, i.e. if the native app can use BB's bridged ip to access your email account.

Somehow it does not work for me.
    02-21-12 11:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD