I'm not sure I understand everyone's excitement over "native email" and such on the Playbook. I for one love the "bridge" functionality of the Playbook and knowing that all of my personal information is available on the Playbook, but actually stored on my Blackberry. And thus, no "syncing" issues.

I also like the fact that I can hand my Playbook off to one of my kids or to a friend, and (after I disconnect the bridge) they can't snoop through my calendar, mail, address book, memos, tasks, etc. Just seems like a very simple way to maintain my security on my Playbook.

When I re-connect to my Playbook, all of my information is available to me again. I also like how when my phone rings, it displays on my Playbook and I can see who is calling and the grab my phone and answer the call. This is truly a connected device.

And the bridge browser, while a bit slower than wi-fi, is an awesome option. I don't use it much, but it has came in handy several times.

I can see the need for native email for Playbook owners that aren't Blackberry owners (heaven forbid), but just don't see the excitement for it in my case. I am looking forward for more important things like the bridge passing auto-text and similar functions to the Playbook.
    07-29-11 01:55 PM
    I think native e-mail will be nothing more than a Wi-Fi option for the current Bridge Mail.

For example, when you're in Wi-Fi range or tethered, you will get your BIS/BES mail directly to the PlayBook. When you're out of Wi-Fi range, or not tethered, you will get your mail through Bridge. I think RIM will make the process seamless, and you will never really know which way you're getting it.

However, if you don't have a BB phone, you will only get it (obviously) through Wi-Fi. For the average BB phone user, it will not make much of a difference, except an improvement in speed while on Wi-Fi.

I also expect the mail client to be improved for both Bridge and native when it comes out.

No matter where you are...you will always get push e-mail. Try that with another tablet!
    dadymon likes this.
    07-29-11 02:41 PM
    I think native e-mail will be nothing more than a Wi-Fi option for the current Bridge Mail. For example, when you're in Wi-Fi range or tethered, you will get your BIS/BES mail directly to the PlayBook. When you're out of Wi-Fi range, or not tethered, you will get your mail through Bridge. I think RIM will make the process seamless, and you will never really know which way you're getting it. However, if you don't have a BB phone, you will only get it (obviously) through Wi-Fi. For the average BB phone user, it will not make much of a difference, except an improvement in speed while on Wi-Fi. I also expect the mail client to be improved for both Bridge and native when it comes out.

No matter where you are...you will always get push e-mail. Try that with another tablet!
    I hope this is the way RIM takes things!
    07-29-11 02:49 PM
    I hope this is the way RIM takes things!
    It's only logical. A totally seamless experience. If your Wi-Fi drops out, your cellular service takes over, and vice-versa. It will all go through BES/BIS, so it's always pushed.

I just want them to improve the features in the Bridge/Native mail app. Need some more options, pinch and zoom, cut and paste. Minor things I think, but as long as they do it right.

For now, Bridge Mail is an excellent solution.
    07-29-11 02:53 PM
    the only reason i would like native anything is, a couple of weeks ago i forgot my phone at work. it was the weekend and i live far enough that i would not travel back to get it. i had no contact, and no calender hurt.
    07-29-11 03:00 PM
    It's only logical. I just want them to improve the features in the Bridge/Native mail app. Need some more options, pinch and zoom, cut and paste. Minor things I think, but as long as they do it right.
    I agree its "only logical." Came to much the same conclusion in a similar discussion in another thread regarding native email and PIM. I also agree that Bridge needs some tweaking. It seems to be incredibly slow--for me--still after multiple updates, but I think its the limitations of my 9650. I notice the hourglass going crazy on the 9650 whenever I'm bridged. Copy and paste are a necessary updates too! Come on guys! I'd love to see a whole range of supported file-types that the Bridged messaging application could open up as well... Even more waiting, but I suppose it will all come with time.
    07-29-11 03:10 PM
    It's only logical. A totally seamless experience. If your Wi-Fi drops out, your cellular service takes over, and vice-versa. It will all go through BES/BIS, so it's always pushed.
    Sorry but the blackberry already does this for you switches between wifi and mobile. if you want all data still going through bes/bis then there is no need for native email.

how is that not seamless. plus dont know about you but i wouldnt want my bes emails native on the playbook until it could be managed by the bes.
    07-29-11 07:20 PM
    For current BB Phone users the current PB works fine.

But for the PB to competitive it needs the 3g/4g with native email etc.

Also for those with BB Phones it still woild be nice to have the native email
    For me being able to use my home email server that is my companies domain would be nice. I do not put a web email page up do to securit concerns.

My question is where the he11 is texting and auto correct RIM?

Stop tossing us broken Droid players and give us something we all could use and
    need!

It will soon be August and the PB still lacks some major items I and many authors expected by now..

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 07-29-11 at 07:53 PM.
    07-29-11 07:50 PM
    For current BB Phone users the current PB works fine.

But for the PB to competitive it needs the 3g/4g with native email etc.

Also for those with BB Phones it still woild be nice to have the native email
    For me being able to use my home email server that is my companies domain would be nice. I do not put a web email page up do to securit concerns.

My question is where the he11 is texting and auto correct RIM?

Stop tossing us broken Droid players and give us something we all could use and
    need!

It will soon be August and the PB still lacks some major items I and many authors expected by now..

Tim
    Correct! The Playbook without bridge is very dissapoiting.
    07-29-11 08:23 PM
    This past weekend, I left my Playbook at a friend's house to charge while I went to eat lunch with another friend It was nice to know that all of my important PIM and email stuff was safe with me on my phone NOT residing "natively" on my Playbook. I realize everyone doesn't agree with the Playbook not having native PIM and email, but I like it as it is.
    08-08-11 10:05 AM
    This past weekend, I left my Playbook at a friend's house to charge while I went to eat lunch with another friend It was nice to know that all of my important PIM and email stuff was safe with me on my phone NOT residing "natively" on my Playbook. I realize everyone doesn't agree with the Playbook not having native PIM and email, but I like it as it is.
    I understand what you are saying, but I think this "feature" is overrated. There is a thing called a password that can easily protect access to just about any electronic device. Works pretty well for most. Granted the BB arrangement is more fool proof.

What I don't like is being locked in to a BB phone. I have a renewal coming up in the Spring and am not sure I want another BB with all the choices out there (or a pre-qnx, soon to be old tech BB phone). That, plus the mixed reviews on the Bridge Browser speed and functionality have kept me from buying one.
    08-08-11 12:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD