After viewing the new walkthrough of os 2.0, I am curious how integration with the BES will work. I know my corporate security folks like that e-mail is not "stored" on my PB. Do we know how I will view corporate e-mail with the new release?

I do not want to have to ask to have my PB provisioned on the corporate BES. Do we know for sure how this will work?

Thanks.
    01-10-12 08:35 PM
    you will use the bridge.
    01-10-12 08:37 PM
    it will have active sync and then bb mobile fusion will work with BES and provision your playbook so IT can push policys etc
    01-10-12 08:43 PM
    will our IT have to update our BESX for us to use activesync or will it be a simple hook up like a IOS or Android?
    01-10-12 08:52 PM
    That is basically my concern...will my firm have to buy mobile fusion or some other upgrade? Doubt they would do that for one guy with a PB.
    01-10-12 10:18 PM
    Bridge isn't going anywhere. If you've got BES email on your BB and your company isn't interested in Mobile Fusion you can continue to use Bridge. That being said, the PB email appears to be based on ActiveSync. If you company is willing to activate Android/iOS devices just through ActiveSync (without needing any of the other remote management features like application deployment) then I think they'll have no issue activating the PB as a plain ActiveSync device.
    MTL likes this.
    01-10-12 10:25 PM
    Our company is looking at it now. The Rim rep explained that it is Blackberry Balance that will solve that problem. Mobile Fusion is different, it allows cross platform management of other OS phones using the BB infrastructure. Check out BB Balance, it's what we've all been waiting for, as far as Enterprise goes. It will free up some IT restrictions on the PB and BB phones. Thats how it was explained to me.
    01-10-12 10:27 PM
    I also had some questions about this... I really don't want IT to download any policies into my PB; so I would prefer to keep my corporate account via bridge and just use native email for my personal accounts.
    01-10-12 10:49 PM
    Check out Balance, better than bridging for corp.
    01-10-12 11:04 PM
    I also had some questions about this... I really don't want IT to download any policies into my PB; so I would prefer to keep my corporate account via bridge and just use native email for my personal accounts.
    Me too - our IT policies are mental here. Activesync has been shut down on the server and only BES is running. Also, the Playbook is MINE and the phone is the company's. I am not excited about having restrictive policies pushed to my Playbook. It would be nice if the bridge email integrated into the locally administered email (gmail, pop3, etc...) when the bridge was activated and then disappeared when it wasn't activated. That way, the email could be integrated in one client but the Bridge email would still be impermanent on the device itself.
    MTL likes this.
    01-11-12 08:08 AM
    Balance will be a part of Fusion, as will BES and PBAS. Balance will allow the use of personal devices. The PB will be connected to the PBAS according to what I saw / was told in November.

Licensing for PBs is covered by the licenses held on the BES for BB handsets so rolling out PBs does not require further licenses to be purchased.
    01-11-12 08:17 AM
    Balance will be a part of Fusion, as will BES and PBAS. Balance will allow the use of personal devices. The PB will be connected to the PBAS according to what I saw / was told in November.

Licensing for PBs is covered by the licenses held on the BES for BB handsets so rolling out PBs does not require further licenses to be purchased.
    Yeah that's how I understand it. And BB Mobile Fusion should be free if you're a BES customer.

On a side note, ActiveSync is just a feature within your company, if you have ios and android devices running on exchange in your environment they are most likely using activesync and your AD account will just need to be enabled for active sync to use it. I have no idea why the playbook didn't ship with activesync to begin with.
    01-11-12 08:49 AM
    Yeah that's how I understand it. And BB Mobile Fusion should be free if you're a BES customer.

On a side note, ActiveSync is just a feature within your company, if you have ios and android devices running on exchange in your environment they are most likely using activesync and your AD account will just need to be enabled for active sync to use it. I have no idea why the playbook didn't ship with activesync to begin with.
    would this involve any IT policies to be downloaded into the PB?
    it is great to use my PB without my IT people even knowing about it
    01-11-12 12:06 PM
    would this involve any IT policies to be downloaded into the PB?
    it is great to use my PB without my IT people even knowing about it
    I'm sure it will have a "default" policy, it's all up to your IT people. Personally I don't even care for native email but everyone and their mother does at my company so that is why i'm hoping it works good.
    MTL likes this.
    01-11-12 12:18 PM
    I'm sure it will have a "default" policy, it's all up to your IT people. Personally I don't even care for native email but everyone and their mother does at my company so that is why i'm hoping it works good.
    I guess I can just keep using Bridge
    01-11-12 03:09 PM
    I'm so confused here because we don't have allow Activesync and just BES and Good for Enterprise due to the security issues of Activesync. It's like RIM is asking us to forget about security. I have a Playbook and want to connect to corporate mail securely but I also have an iphone. How does this work? Will it work?
    01-11-12 03:18 PM
    I'm so confused here because we don't have allow Activesync and just BES and Good for Enterprise due to the security issues of Activesync. It's like RIM is asking us to forget about security. I have a Playbook and want to connect to corporate mail securely but I also have an iphone. How does this work? Will it work?
    Mobile Fusion is basically BES for PlayBook/BB10 phones. So if your company doesn't like ActiveSync they'll need to add Mobile Fusion support or hope Good adds PlayBook support (not likely when RIM already does it so well). Even if it's not worth it just for PB they'll need to migrate to Mobile Fusion when BB10 phones start shipping.
    01-11-12 04:29 PM
    The email.bar file works well against exchange if your company is already setup for Outlook Anywhere..
    01-11-12 04:41 PM
    It sounds like bridge will still continue to work and I heard it is improved on one of the videos. For those that work won't allow activesync bridge will work.
    01-11-12 04:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD