12-24-11 04:40 PM
26 12
tools
    This has probably been discussed before,but here goes.
    Does native e-mail mean that I can tap on a photo and I will be given options what I can do with this photo,send it open with etc.etc..
    I miss that option. Simple. That is all I want for Christmas. I hope someone can explain.

Thanks
    12-22-11 08:58 AM
    Does native e-mail mean that I can tap on a photo and I will be given options what I can do with this photo,send it open with etc.etc..
    I miss that option.Simple that is all I want for Christmas.I hope someone can explain.

Thanks
    no one knows... wait until the beta comes out with email or the official release in Feb!
    pelletizer likes this.
    12-22-11 09:06 AM
    Yes native email will give the option like send to etc. I think files and folders or one of the explorer apps has an email option in it if you have a bridged bb. Native email doesn't deal with the open with options though that would be in the OS I think as well as the email option may be tied to the OS also.

Hope someone else will reply that knows for sure.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 12-22-11 at 09:13 AM. Reason: add
    pelletizer likes this.
    12-22-11 09:11 AM
    What do you mean by an explorer app?
    12-22-11 09:14 AM
    Let me ask (for not having to open a new thread and no intentions to hijack this one):

Would native email replace the bridged email or do you get the choice between
    native OR bridged
    or
    native AND bridged?

I just pondering...
    12-22-11 09:22 AM
    Let me ask (for not having to open a new thread and no intentions to hijack this one):

Would native email replace the bridged email or do you get the choice between
    native OR bridged
    or
    native AND bridged?

I just pondering...
    Now that has got the guys in Waterloo perplexed
    12-22-11 09:42 AM
    I miss that option.Simple that is all I want for Christmas.I hope someone can explain.
    That's what I hope to see, as it will make built in Camera all that more useful.

However, even when native email app arrives, it may not be there initially, considering the feature set of other built-in apps.
    12-22-11 09:45 AM
    What do you mean by an explorer app?
    File explorer like air browser, files and folders etc. there are a few of them in app world.
    12-22-11 09:48 AM
    How does air browser send photos?
    12-22-11 10:03 AM
    Files and Folders (3rd party app) does allow one to be looking at a photo, tag and send it.
    12-22-11 10:24 AM
    How does air browser send photos?
    Never said it did. That was replying to "what do you mean by explorer app"
    pelletizer likes this.
    12-22-11 11:32 AM
    Just to clarify: Files & Folders allows you to send a file via e-mail through most online mail services (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo etc) and many SMTP servers. It works via Wi-fi networks and hotspots. We haven't tested it via Bridge tethering. Anyone?
    12-22-11 10:48 PM
    these sort of integration features will ultimately show up. priority has to be getting it to work at all first. then get fancy with it.
    12-24-11 12:31 AM
    I'm on the 2.0 beta, and I installed the Android email app on my Playbook which gives my Playbook a "native" email app and I can send emails from my playbook and send attachments like pictures and files etc. You guys might want to read about side loading .bar files, and get the email app. Then you can have this functionality right now like I do.

Last edited by Megacharge; 12-24-11 at 12:41 AM.
    EricB1968 likes this.
    12-24-11 12:36 AM
    Is the email app on the conversion spread sheet? If so, what is its nme? if not where would I find it to load onto my PC?
    teamfortress likes this.
    12-24-11 12:46 AM
    Is the email app on the conversion spread sheet? If so, what is its nme? if not where would I find it to load onto my PC?
    Yes you can find it at PlayBook BARs

It's just called "email"

In fact, here, I uploaded it on this post to make it easier. Just un-rar it and side load it.

For those who don't know, the 2.0 beta has the Android Player "built in" already, so there is no need to install the Android Player. Just side load the converted .bar's you want and enjoy!
    Last edited by Megacharge; 12-24-11 at 12:55 AM.
    12-24-11 12:53 AM
    After a lot of false starts I found a zip file in a post and was installing it just as your email came in on my PC . I appear to be POPed and SMTPed correctly (did have to change a port on SMTP) ... now to send myself an email

Whoo Hoo! I have MAIL!!!!!

One small thing. I see no way to set a reply to address different from the mail account. Did I miss a setting or is this option not available?
    Last edited by D_Whatley; 12-24-11 at 02:26 AM.
    12-24-11 02:08 AM
    i would like to try going to os2 beta again. the first time i tried i liked it, but because the camera did not focus properly with the original beta i soon found myself back to os1. i am wondering if this has been fixed?

also, i never properly figured out how to side load the apps... i could get them to appear on my home screen s if they were installed... but none of them would load when i tapped them.... so i just gave up.... im considering trying again though... the prospect of having email and kindle is to enticing lol
    12-24-11 03:22 AM
    One small thing. I see no way to set a reply to address different from the mail account. Did I miss a setting or is this option not available?
    I have no idea what you mean.

When you're looking at an email it shows up on the bottom. Reply, Reply all, Delete. To access more options swipe down from the top bezel.
    12-24-11 03:37 AM
    @Megacharge, wrong reply direction. When sending an email, headers allow you to specify a different ReplyTo email address than the actual sending address. There are various uses for this to redirect emails to specific mailboxes depending upon the email content (sales, problems, quotes, etc). In my case, I control spam with the name used and never give out the primary account address. Most email clients will allow you to specify the replyTo address but I could not find a way to set it in this one.

@123BerryAddicted - so worth it now. I came on-board late and have only used this version of the Beta. The Kindle app alone pushed me to OS2 the first week. I wanted this primarily for travel but I can access my email on-line if need be ... much better with the native client though . I don't have a BB phone so bridge is not an issue but I understand that is in decent working order as well. Now, if I could just get text Skype!

Also lyricidal added PlayBook to his BBH Tool that makes side loading way easier. With your PB connected to your local WiFi all that is needed is to upload and unzip (if tared or zipped) the file to your PC then open the BBH Tool (you can ignore the initial no Blackberry OS installed warning, but you will have to initially set the IP address of your Playbook and be sure your Playbook is in developer mode), select Playbook from the top tabs, drag the .bar file to the Files area and click Install It. For self extracting files, use the Remote .BAR/.APK link feature (this might work with some zipped files but I usually unpack them locally out of habit and am not sure what will and will not work with the remote feature).
    Last edited by D_Whatley; 12-24-11 at 04:37 AM.
    12-24-11 04:09 AM
    @Megacharge, wrong reply direction. When sending an email, headers allow you to specify a different ReplyTo email address than the actual sending address.
    This email app doesn't seem to have those options.
    12-24-11 04:43 AM
    Thanks, since I downloaded from a different file than the one you posted, I was not sure if I had the latest/different version. I will have to get creative with the SMTP for this I think.
    12-24-11 04:49 AM
    This is great. Does anyone know the settings to have your Blackberry email addy set up on this? Having a little trouble.
    12-24-11 08:41 AM
    Do you currently use Outlook as your email client for your PC and are you trying to set up a similar account? Who is your email provider?

It will depend upon your email carrier and their required settings. With some carriers, I can help you with the settings but try a google scan on SMTP and your carrier name, usually the information is openly posted. Once you find the SMTP, POP and port settings, I can coach you if you need further help. If you can't find these, post your carrier and I will see what I can find.

oops, I just read the "Blackberry" part of the email address and I have never used Blackberry email. The setting info will have the same requirements and they may be available on-line but someone who uses BB email is going to be more aware of the needed info.
    Last edited by D_Whatley; 12-24-11 at 02:40 PM.
    12-24-11 02:33 PM
    Files and Folders (3rd party app) does allow one to be looking at a photo, tag and send it.
    Unfortunately, you have to type the email address you want to send the picture to as F&F does not have access to the address book.
    12-24-11 03:06 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD