I'm sorry to ask this, because I have seen several threads but with no real answer other than using cloud services.

Is there a way to sync a non cloud email, for example my [email protected]'s calendar that I currently use on my bold with the playbook native calendar without using google or outlook?

We do not use an exchange server, or cloud based email (such as outlook.com, gmail or yahoo) and I would like to use the native calendar program instead of the bridge calendar.

Thanks for any help that can be provided
    01-29-13 02:15 PM
    Email addresses don't have calendars on their own. Either your calendar is just stored in your email software on your computer, or you use a cloud-based system without knowing it.

What software do you use for email?
    01-29-13 02:28 PM
    Like I mentioned its what's being stored on my blackberry using that email address, any ideas?
    01-29-13 02:41 PM
    Like I mentioned its what's being stored on my blackberry using that email address, any ideas?
    So your Calendar is only on your phone? Not on your computer at all?

If that's the case, have the phone sync with a cloud service, and then have the Playbook pull that calendar from the cloud service.

Are you saying you don't want to use a cloud service, or you feel you can't because your email at work doesn't use one? If it's the latter, that doesn't matter for this method.
    01-29-13 02:46 PM
    So your Calendar is only on your phone? Not on your computer at all?

If that's the case, have the phone sync with a cloud service, and then have the Playbook pull that calendar from the cloud service.

Are you saying you don't want to use a cloud service, or you feel you can't because your email at work doesn't use one? If it's the latter, that doesn't matter for this method.
    Well it is on my phone and yes I do use outlook on my pc, however I would like to be able to use my current emal address to control my calender and not switch to gmail.
    01-29-13 05:11 PM
    Well it is on my phone and yes I do use outlook on my pc, however I would like to be able to use my current emal address to control my calender and not switch to gmail.
    So your Calendar on your phone syncs to your Outlook? Do you do that with BB Desktop Software?
    01-30-13 07:57 AM
    [QUOTE=mcmolineux;7902570]So your Calendar on your phone syncs to your Outlook? Do you do that with BB Desktop Software?[/QUOTe

no it doesn't automatically sync, but what I'm looking for is a way for when my boss sends me a calendar invite to my work email, I have the option of adding it to my bold's work email calendar, on my playbook there is no calendar to be associated with the email. was just wondering if there is a way I can get both to sync.

ie my boss sends an invite to my email to join him for a meeting to my work email, I can only accept this request from either outlook or my bold.
    01-30-13 10:12 PM
    [QUOTE=achiquitachaser;7909689]
    So your Calendar on your phone syncs to your Outlook? Do you do that with BB Desktop Software?[/QUOTe

no it doesn't automatically sync, but what I'm looking for is a way for when my boss sends me a calendar invite to my work email, I have the option of adding it to my bold's work email calendar, on my playbook there is no calendar to be associated with the email. was just wondering if there is a way I can get both to sync.

ie my boss sends an invite to my email to join him for a meeting to my work email, I can only accept this request from either outlook or my bold.
    Sorry man, I'm not getting a clear picture of your current setup, so it is difficult for me to offer suggestions.
    01-31-13 08:43 AM
    You need to give us more technical details or we can't help you.

I'm guessing that you actually do have a Microsoft Exchange server set up, as that is the easiest thing to do for this kind of situation, and given that you are already getting meeting invites on your existing BlackBerry phone.

It is possible that you are using a different mail/calendaring solution but I find it pretty unlikely.

Did you try just entering your email address and password in the Playbook? It might just work for you
    01-31-13 01:30 PM
    You need to give us more technical details or we can't help you.

I'm guessing that you actually do have a Microsoft Exchange server set up, as that is the easiest thing to do for this kind of situation, and given that you are already getting meeting invites on your existing BlackBerry phone.

It is possible that you are using a different mail/calendaring solution but I find it pretty unlikely.

Did you try just entering your email address and password in the Playbook? It might just work for you

Not sure how to clean this up further, in my first post I stated we did not have an exchange server.

On a blackberry bold, your calendar is linked to your email (this is regardless if its a corporate email, yahoo, gmail or any kind of email) and outlook on a pc is linked to an email again doesn't matter what kind of email you have. What determines if it syncs with more than one device is if it is cloud based like gmail and yahoo or an exchange server. These are setup by default this way on both current blackberry 7 and earlier devices and even on a pc with microsoft outlook

However on the playbook, a calendar is not associated with an email unless either it is a cloud based email, ie. gmail and yahoo or if you have an exchange server. Without either of these two options, when you add an account to the playbook, only the email is created, your left with just the local calendar on the playbook. So this causes an issue if my boss sends me an invite to a meeting (either from his cellphone or pc) because the invite will never showup on the playbook with the option of adding it to my calendar (the request will only show up on my bold or outlook on my pc), and to be honest I will usually use my playbook over using my bold for my calendar and email.

The only work around that I've found is just to use the bridge calendar, instead of the native calendar and was hoping that someone else had an idea of a workaround. I honestly don't know how to explain it any simpler, but thanks to anyone that has offered any suggestions.
    01-31-13 11:29 PM
    bump******
    02-03-13 11:43 AM
    The Playbook cannot do what you want it to do. It needs a cloud based system, which your work does not seem to be on.

A solution, though requiring a monthly fee is to setup an Office365 account on the PlayBook and your PC and then set the PC to sync its native Outlook to the Office365 account. Changes to your PC calendar will be synced almost instantly to the PlayBook. If you go this route, you may have to research it a bit further and ensure you setup the correct type of Office365 account. I think you need the enterprise version, plus you may need the latest MS Office Pro with Outlook on your PC or MAC.

I had it working on a Mac last year, but it didn't solve the problem I was trying to solve, which was to get my Wife's work calendar onto her BlackBerry Phone but without the intermediate PC running Outlook. She is on an exchange server, so the work calendar works fine with her PlayBook, just not with the phone as they do not have any BlackBerry infrastructure at her work. A new OS10 phone will solve this for her.
    02-03-13 12:58 PM
    thanks I've thought about the 365 route, I've heard that 365 could be used a shared calendar also amongst employees like an exchange server. have you've ever used 365 in this capacity?
    02-03-13 01:37 PM
    thanks I've thought about the 365 route, I've heard that 365 could be used a shared calendar also amongst employees like an exchange server. have you've ever used 365 in this capacity?
    I think you should be able to do that and even host your email on 365 if you have your own domain name. Try signing up for the trial and play around with it.
    02-04-13 09:57 AM
    Not sure how to clean this up further, in my first post I stated we did not have an exchange server.
    I'm not saying that you need to explain in simpler terms or more clearly. What I meant was that there isn't enough technical detail in your posts for us to have a good idea of what the setup at your workplace is, and hence what you should best do on the Playbook.

Look at it this way. You currently get mail, calendar and contacts on both your existing BlackBerry Bold and on your PC using Outlook right?

Mail can be downloaded from the mail server onto a client (whether phone or PC) and not kept on the server, but your calendars can't work that way. They must be maintained on a server somewhere, or else how would you do shared meeting scheduling etc.

There are a few possibilities on just where the mail and calendar servers might be located:

1) they might be completely under the control of your company's IT peope, whether physically located on your premises or not,
    2) they might belong to a hosting company that provides groupware services, and that your company outsourced to, or
    3) they might belong to what people typically thing of as cloud services like Google Apps, Apple iCloud (or whatever they are calling it this month), MS Windows Live/Skydrive or Yahoo.

In the case of (1), your IT guys could be running any of a number of solutions, such as IBM's Lotus Domino or Novell Groupwise, but by far the most common is MS Exchange.

In the case of (2) Exchange is again dominant AFAIK.

But either way, most of the commercial groupware solutions support Exchange ActiveSync as the protocol to sync mail/calendar/contacts with your mobile device, regardless of what the backend is. Meaning you can often use ActiveSync on your device even if your organisation isn't running MS Exchange Server.

For case number (3) things obviously work great if you are on MS's cloud offering. And if you were on Apple's I'd imagine you'd all have iPhones and iPads. If you are on Google Apps, then I think things are problematic.

Given the fact that you use Outlook for mail and you have no problem with calendaring, I strongly believe that there is an MS Exchange Server somewhere providing service to you, even if it isn't run by your IT guys.

So getting back to my original question (finally :P), when you added your email to your Playbook, how did you do it and what kind of account does it show up as (eg IMAP, POP3, Exchange).
    02-06-13 12:02 PM