So now I have had my PlayBook for a few weeks (and finally got my OtterBox Defender as well) I have a few questions to pose to the community.

My usage of this PlayBook is generally work related as I'm a Senior Staff Non-commissioned Officer. One thing I have noticed that would be benificial TO ME (and others as well who might work international jobs) is the ability to put multipul time zones in the calendar.

For my needs I obvioulsy need to have the local timezone for the calendar, but I deal with aircraft that work off of GMT, and it would be nice to have the timezone of my family back in the States.

Additionally, it doesn't appear that you can change out the alarm tones with anything other than Evolving, Traditional or None. Is there any way currently to change the tone to something that I will hear that will drown out the contant drone of the generators running around here?
    03-04-12 02:44 AM
    Sorry, I can't help with the tones as I've yet to try and change them. But I do have a word of advice on the Otterbox case, if you aren't already doing it. My work PB is used outside frequently in dusty conditions and around operating helicopters. Even though it's sealed fairly well and has port covers, I find dust and dirt still get into the Otterbox, especially the speakers and beneath the screen protector. We tape the seams and use a cloth tape over the speakers. It hasn't appeared to have much damping effect on the speakers. Your conditions, being much dryer and dustier than those I work under, I'd recommend doing something similar. It's made a huge difference. Good luck.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-04-12 03:09 AM
    Sorry, I can't help with the tones as I've yet to try and change them. But I do have a word of advice on the Otterbox case, if you aren't already doing it. My work PB is used outside frequently in dusty conditions and around operating helicopters. Even though it's sealed fairly well and has port covers, I find dust and dirt still get into the Otterbox, especially the speakers and beneath the screen protector. We tape the seams and use a cloth tape over the speakers. It hasn't appeared to have much damping effect on the speakers. Your conditions, being much dryer and dustier than those I work under, I'd recommend doing something similar. It's made a huge difference. Good luck.
    Thanks for the advice. My cardboard box of a building, well okay plywood building is about 50 meters from a working Helicopter pad, and it does get dusty in here. I haven't noticed major issues, but we still have lots of ice and snow on the ground and I imagine in a few weeks the dust will be even more apparent.
    03-04-12 04:09 AM
    At the moment, you cannot change the alarm sounds (maybe rim will provide that but I bet its way down on the list).

The one question you did not ask - how the heck to get it out of the Otterbox when you occasionally do want to do that. It ain't easy. I actually copied their video to my pb for reference. Those little tabs/cams really can be hard to undo. Also, make sure when closing it that those tiny little detents around the edges actually snap closed or the rubber rand does not fit/seal well.

Stay safe.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-04-12 09:49 AM
    LOL, yes, getting the Otterbox off is a little challenging at first, but I take mine off so much it's really not bad now. When a was having a moisture problem under the screen I was taking it off two or three times a day. Now it just takes a few seconds. Also make sure you get all of the snaps engaged. Look at the seams when you're through, they should all appear equal. You have to squeeze the corners very firmly to hear that click. The first few times I thought it was snapped all the way around and it wasn't.
    03-04-12 11:08 AM
    At the moment, you cannot change the alarm sounds (maybe rim will provide that but I bet its way down on the list).

The one question you did not ask - how the heck to get it out of the Otterbox when you occasionally do want to do that. It ain't easy. I actually copied their video to my pb for reference. Those little tabs/cams really can be hard to undo. Also, make sure when closing it that those tiny little detents around the edges actually snap closed or the rubber rand does not fit/seal well.

Stay safe.
    Well I am not currently worried about extracting the PlayBox out of my OtterBox. I'm going to be deployed for awhile yet, and upon my return I will probably PCS from my current duty station to another. The OtterBox makes my PlayBox feel like it is an Army issued device, hardened with a protective case.

So it just seems like something naturally I would have with me, along with all of my additional issued items.

On topic of my thread, but with a minor twist... Has anyone seen duplicate reminders coming up for one event? Just this morning after our shift change brief I came back into my office and my PlayBook had two reminders waiting for me about the shift change. It might be that since I didn't immediately acknowledge it, it sends out an additional reminder. I will have to play around and see if that is the case. Or maybe, I should actually read the complete Users Guide when I have some spare time.

What I need to do is get a picture of me in my full kit, defending my OtterBox Defender as it is defending my PlayBook

Thank you all for your responses and assistance to this new PlayBook owner who doesn't have enough time to play with all of the functions on his new gadget!
    03-05-12 12:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD