I went to a website using the native browser on latest build 1.0.1.1710 (1st time on any build I visited the site) and the website wouldn't work as it stated it was designed for IE.

Interesting thing was that it recognized my playbook native browser as Safari/0.0.1 ?

I'm guessing its a default response from the website or is it?

Realcomp Online Login
    04-22-11 09:32 AM
    Every browser reports something called a User Agent that identifies itself to the server. I was wondering what User Agent the native browser was using because I was not able to coax mlb.tv to work. It is too bad as I think it would be an awesome device on which to watch a ball game.

I hope the Dolphin folks either port their browser or will work in the Android Playbook when it is release as that browser allows users to set the User Agent. This would get all these web sites that demand a specific browser to work.

Fred
    04-22-11 09:36 AM
    Here, this might give more info...

04-22-11 09:42 AM
    I wonder why it identifies itself as Safari and not Webkit (which is what it is)...
    04-22-11 09:49 AM
    well webkit was built for safari basically
    04-22-11 10:02 AM
    Some website show up in their mobile version when I enter their address. How can I get their full site?
    Last edited by chasvs; 04-22-11 at 10:10 AM.
    04-22-11 10:04 AM
    Some website show up in their mobile version when I enter their URL. How can I get their full site?
    This is exactly the problem, if the site does not want to show their main site to a mobile browser, you are stuck. Some sites do have full site links that should work, others don't.
    04-22-11 10:10 AM
    Some website show up in their mobile version when I enter their address. How can I get their full site?
    What websites are doing this to you?
    04-22-11 10:14 AM
    The browser's user agent follows the exact same format as the Torch or any other OS 6 device:

Mozilla/5.0 (PlayBook; U; RIM Tablet OS 1.0.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/0.0.1 Safari/534.8+

The reason why most websites are detecting it as a Safari browser right now is that they either haven't updated their UA detection code to handle the PlayBook OR they are using the Browser Capabilities Project (most websites do) which hasn't been updated yet for the PlayBook.
    04-22-11 11:02 AM
    What websites are doing this to you?
    MLB.com I really want to see the full site.
    04-22-11 11:34 AM
    MLB.com I really want to see the full site.
    I found a workaround for getting to the full mlb site by typing a fully qualified url, such as (ignore the slashes at the beginning):

//www.mlb.com/index.jsp or mlb.mlb.com/index.jsp

Direct links below.

The Official Site of Major League Baseball | MLB.com: Homepage or
    The Official Site of Major League Baseball | MLB.com: Homepage

However, it still won't run mlb.tv which is what I want it to do.

Fred
    04-22-11 12:39 PM
    Hi Friends,
    Does anyone has the solution to be able to access the MAC Apple site www.ME.COM or the Find my Iphone from your Playbook. When I try to access this site from my Playbook I get an error which says YOUR BROWSER IS NOT SUPPORTED. Any solutions to go around this problem I'm encountering on my new PLAYBOOK 64GB?
    REGARDS AND THANKS, KONDOR
    IF POSSIBLE EMAIL ME TO
    [email protected]
    06-08-11 12:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD