Hi all,

I'm just curious if anyone has any information regarding being able to synch the contacts on our bb's with the Playbook? (Without going through a third party)

Is it going to be an option in a later update or with BB10 phones?
    Last edited by jghellion; 08-27-12 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Spelling.
    08-26-12 04:35 PM
    We have no information on the subject for the time being. You're not the first to request the feature though.
    08-26-12 05:00 PM
    Nor the last I'm sure.
    diegonei likes this.
    08-26-12 05:23 PM
    That is sad news. I was hoping by now we would have a native solution or at least some info of when if it was at all going to be possible. It's one of the few things I could really use on the Playbook that it doesn't have.

To me that's a much more useful funtionality than working on getting the usual suspects of appplications that most people ask for.
    08-26-12 11:18 PM
    I have my contacts synced with my work account which is always synced with my BB. I don't notice the lack.
    08-26-12 11:22 PM
    I have my contacts synced with my work account which is always synced with my BB. I don't notice the lack.
    I don't want my personal contacts with work contact's. I've always opted to carry two Blackberry's (One for the job and my personal one.) I'm a tech working in a corporate envoirnment. My personal info will never flow through corporate lines. I don't want my personal life/info ever mixing.

I just want to be able to synch my personal info from my Blackberry to my Playbook. No third party. It's great to have the option to use google synch or whatever other options are available for people that dont mind storing or transferring info through third party servers, the internet, cloud or whatever you call them by. I like as much security and privacy as I can get.
    08-27-12 12:08 AM
    Hi all,

I'm just curios if anyone has any information regarding being able to synch the contacts on our bb's with the Playbook? (Without going through a third party)

Is it going to be an option in a later update or with BB10 phones?
    Maybe you can use the carrier e-mail address or a new blackberry provided email address rather than gmail, hotmail or yahoo.. Add both accounts on BB and PB? I don't know the in-depth support like IMAP and all that.. But I believe contacts should be supported..
    08-27-12 01:03 AM
    I see you don't like the 'Internet' option of syncing your contacts -

One word for you - BRIDGE - get that..
    08-27-12 01:04 AM
    Seeing that most of the development is being concentrated on BB10, I don't think this will be a feature that shows up until BB10 is on the PlayBook.
    08-27-12 10:24 AM
    I see you don't like the 'Internet' option of syncing your contacts -

One word for you - BRIDGE - get that..
    The bridge function is great but the point is to be able to have the contacts available and on the Playbook independent of the phone. Thanks for the suggestions though.
    08-27-12 04:03 PM
    The bridge function is great but the point is to be able to have the contacts available and on the Playbook independent of the phone. Thanks for the suggestions though.
    Just forget that it's using Bluetooth in the background and think of Bridge as a stand alone feature.

There are a few advantages here,

- Device may not be password protected but your contacts will always have a password (bb phone password)
    - Incase you lose the PlayBook, your contacts cannot be misused
    - Instant sync without the need of any Internet (travelling, no network connection)
    - Good layout of Bridge contacts along with e-mail support

On the downside -

- Not as fancy as native contacts application
    - missing several features which are even available in bb phone

Leaving Bluetooth connection 'on' all time does not pose any security threats in case you are concerned (need to have the right settings though) and Bluetooth does not drain much of your battery.

It's really easy to activate it, you can just toggle Bluetooth on the PlayBook as and when you require or even use the 'lock & unlock' feature in the PlayBook Bridge top bar icon.

The reason I suggest this is because like a user mentioned earlier, BB10 is in development.. so you will have to rely on OS upgrades for resolutions as workarounds might just be temporary.

Last resort, you get a contact management application on the PlayBook that can read/import/export a CSV file and then you can doing the manual to and fro.

Contact App > export to desktop > import to Outlook > sync with BB Smartphone and reverse.
    08-28-12 12:47 AM
    All valid points and suggestions varunsain. Thank you.

They are work arounds though. I just think that seamless synching should be available. It just makes sense that a tablet and phone from RIM should be able to do this. (I understand maybe not OS 7.x with QNX but I would hope that at least when it's BB10 on both devices.) As a tech in corporate, I've probably had almost every Blackberry for work at one time or another and supported them too. This feature is far more important to me than getting some so called big name app. (I realize I'm in the minority on that these days though.)

Now I'm curious, how/if they will be able to pull our contact info off the old OS phone's and onto a new one.
    Last edited by jghellion; 08-29-12 at 04:19 AM.
    08-29-12 04:15 AM
    Easy: Desktop Software. Recent versions already create backups using the same format the PB does.

Loading such backups to new phones or using the Device Switch feature should work by then.
    08-29-12 11:10 AM
    Easy: Desktop Software. Recent versions already create backups using the same format the PB does.

Loading such backups to new phones or using the Device Switch feature should work by then.
    Just so I understand, your saying that hopefully by the time BB10 is released, the switch device funtion in desktop manager will be able to accomodate synching our OS 7 info with BB10 devices?
    08-29-12 02:36 PM
    Yes. Why else would they change the backups from ipd to bbb? I'm confident that at least that part won't be an issue.
    Have_a_nice_day likes this.
    08-29-12 03:21 PM
    I truly hope your right! Thanks for the response.
    diegonei likes this.
    08-29-12 04:24 PM
    As I see it.. there should be 2 self sustained apps running respectively on BB10 and PB and just get synced via Bluetooth. So much faster and completely eliminates the need of a desktop manager.. Although DM would be good for ppl with just 1 device.
    08-30-12 12:34 AM
    As I see it.. there should be 2 self sustained apps running respectively on BB10 and PB and just get synced via Bluetooth. So much faster and completely eliminates the need of a desktop manager.. Although DM would be good for ppl with just 1 device.
    Well the question was how to get old device's backup into new BB10 phones, so yeah, Desktop Software is the most likely solution.

And on a very late sidenote, carrier emails like @blackberry.rogres.net should not be used for anything important and do not support any sync functions.

Native Sync, if you ask me, will still relay on the cloud. But it will be RIM's cloud alone, so no need to use Gmail, yahoo or any other service.
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-30-12 at 11:35 AM.
    08-30-12 11:33 AM
    While I don't have a need for contacts on the PlayBook (Bridge works well for that and I have one less device to "sync" up and make a dog's breakfast of everything) I can see the desire to be able to sync contacts to the PlayBook.

The fact that we can't stems from RIM's error in making the PlayBook a "companion" device for the BlackBerry phone.
    08-30-12 12:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD