A month ago I really messed up my PlayBook battery by plugging it into my friend's vehicle charger while the battery was dead. Unknown to me, i was actually draining my battery further as the charger was putting out less power than the playbook requires to operate. Long story short, I was only able to use my playbook when it was plugged into a power source after. I tried the stack charging method and several other DIY fixes I found on the Internet but none worked. I continually got the red, yellow, solid green indicator light sequence however my playbook would shut off immediately after unplugging it. I called tech support and after a few frustrating conversations with tier 1 support (they kept trying to get me to repeat the same troubleshooting steps... Reload OS, update DM etc.) they transferred me to tier 2 support and within 5mins they agreed to ship me a box to send the playbook in for repair. The day after the call the box arrived, I picked it up the next day because I missed the FedEx guy and shipped it out the day after. 4 business days later I got an email stating that my playbook was on the way back to me. I missed the FedEx guy yet again (I work during the day and am never home during the week at 11am) so I picked it up the next day. It appears they could not fix my playbook, however they shipped me another one (different serial number, raised power button) which I am totally okay with. I am quite satisfied with RIM and my overall support experience because the turnaround time was very reasonable and I basically have a fresh start with my 32GB playbook. I was initially concerned that the whole process would take a month or at least a few weeks but RIM exceeded my expectations on that front. Once again, I am a very happy playbook user and crackberry addict
    taz323 and dougONCT like this.
    11-04-12 12:24 PM
    Mine was REPLACED in about 5 days door-to-door-to-door. I think mine was a NEW unit.
    11-04-12 01:35 PM
    And your opinion on the whole process?
    11-04-12 02:00 PM
    Mine went well. My issue was that the pb lost too much power in simple standby mode. I did have to reload the OS for them and deplete recharge the battery twice. But as with the OP, my box arrived the next day on my porch, I took it to a local, mom-pop (no tracking) fedex/ups office, Thurs afternoon, it was back here on Tues!
    416to604 likes this.
    11-04-12 02:49 PM
    5 days for me as well,including the weekend. I thought RIM did a fantastic job. They sent back my PlayBook with the power button raised back up and the magnetic charging port was fixed. All in all I couldn't see how they could have done any better. I completed the survey for them as well. It was the least I could do in return for the excellent service.
    416to604 likes this.
    11-04-12 03:03 PM
    Great experience here too. 5 days (including Saturday & Sunday).
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    11-04-12 03:38 PM
    Well, my experience with Rim's repair service has been nothing short of fantastic! And the customer service representative that I dealt with was superb! I called rim about my playbook on Wednesday. Received the shipping box on Thursday. Shipped my playbook back on Thursday and saw that it was received at the Nashville repair facility on Friday. Received my new/repaired playbook on Wednesday! A total of 5 business days from start to finish. And later in the day, I received a follow up call from the customer representative (Kim) who I dealt with in the first place.

Now that's impressive customer service!
    12-06-12 11:48 AM
    My RMA experience was NOT good. The box arrived quickly, and the PlayBook was returned quickly too. BUT my PlayBook was returned in the exact same condition, with no explanation of why, what they had diagnosed, etc. When I called BB support they had no clue what I was talking about. They told me they have no contact whatsoever with the repair facility so they didn't know anything about what had been done, and apparently couldn't ever find out.

I ended up having to make MANY more calls to BB support and each time it was as though they had no record of my previous calls. I had to go through tier 1 troubleshooting a number of times. Finally they agreed to send me a new charger (although the issue was that the charger PORT is loose and wiggly). They said it would take 6-8 weeks to receive the new charger!

Meanwhile I was getting almost daily emails saying they were going to close my ticket because they considered the issue resolved. I kept emailing back to tell them NO, and yet kept getting the same messages. Eventually I got an email with a link to a satisfaction survey. I wrote in detail about my experience, and expressed my disappointment and dissatisfaction. A couple of days later I got a phone call from some kind of escalation person who wanted to make sure I came away satisfied. BUT... She could not understand what I was telling her AT ALL. It was as though we weren't speaking the same language, and almost as if she'd never even used the PB before. Not even the tiniest bit of tech knowledge. She also kept interrupting me and telling me incorrect and irrelevant things about troubleshooting the PB, and backing up my data, as well as actually denying what I was telling her about my experience.

It was a big mess and I finally gave up because I was wanting to strangle this woman thru thephone. One of the worst customer service experiences ever. Sad because they kind of tried to do it right but failed miserably. Now I'm just living with a wiggly charger port, with sketchy connection to the charger. One good thing was that the new charger arrived in far less than the time they'd told me.
    12-07-12 05:51 AM
    I had an issue with my 4G Playbook back in early October. It was still operational with the wifi, so the support team and I figured I would continue to use it until they could release me a new one (this was after several troubleshooting sessions with both RIM and Rogers). The new one came, but it had issues (no connectivity to BB desktop, and only showed 2 icons...help and browser). I'm a patient guy and didn't mind donating time to science to try to get the new one up and running. However, with several unsuccessful attempts at fixing the new one, we determined it couldn't be repaired. A 3rd one would need to be issued, but agreeably so, they couldn't do it until one of them were returned.

I returned my original Playbook, as it was no longer operational (kept freezing, requiring a restart). This was on approx Dec 3rd.

Since then, I have received little to no updates, and several promises of 'higher authorities' are on it, and that 'I personally will call you back and update you'. Apparently the RMA team doesn't have any phone contact, only email, and apparently they don't respond (or so I'm told by the people I've talked to on the phone).

I've now been 4months without an operational Playbook that I am paying data for!! Does anyone out there have any suggestions as to who I may contact, or perhaps a better direction to head?
    01-16-13 07:45 PM
    I've now been 4months without an operational Playbook that I am paying data for!! Does anyone out there have any suggestions as to who I may contact, or perhaps a better direction to head?
    Request to speak to BlackBerry Customer Loyalty. If there is any resistance, state you will be engaging the services of a lawyer; this gets the attention of the RIM Legal Team and will get your issue resolved PDQ. Above all be polite or you will be put on a "do not talk to" list.
    01-17-13 02:02 AM
    I had a screen issue on mine. They decided to replace the entire thing and returned it within 5 days. The whole process was highly customer friendly - nothing like it anywhere.
    01-17-13 05:56 AM
    cblguy

I would also contact your carrier since they probably sold you the unit? I would call Rim support again and ask and then demand to speak with a Supervisor. Then ask and then demand a new WORKING unit.

If you purchased with a Credit Card, challenge the charge even now - you can try, at least.

good luck

You probably have this info but

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: playbooksupport@blackberry.com (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    Smartphones BlackBerry & Tablette Tactile - Modles de BlackBerry FR - France
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    01-17-13 09:56 AM