Realistically, there are only two exceptional cases for the PlayBook: Ballistic Tough Jacket and Otterbox Defender. I own both and have used both, so this review is unbiased.

The Otterbox Defender is a good case. It carries that Otterbox name which makes you feel safe, but that's not enough anymore. The Defender WILL protect your tablet, but it's an enormous PITA when it comes to functionality. The first thing I do with an Otterbox case is rip off and throw away that cheap crap plastic screen protector Otterbox always includes with any case they make for any device (it traps dust and dirt too easily ; you'd mess up the screen faster by using it) . When completely assembled, the flimsy edges of the silicone sleeve do not stay in place (the Z10 Defender case is the ONLY Otterbox I have ever seen that got this right, and it is my favorite case of any phone case I have ever owned- currently used). What's worse is that the bottom port area just flat out flops around when you do anything in that vicinity. The case cover is only good when covering the front or attached to the back (makes holding it feel really nice, and the camera lens cover is neat), but that's it for the good points. Using the case cover as a kickstand is absurd. It's a nightmare to open up the kickstand, and ever more fun to situate the PlayBook in it. Forget hooking anything up to the bottom ports while in kickstand mode: the rubber flap and limited clearance kills that (although if you have the Rapid Charger, you can spent a minute manipulating the PlayBook, rubber flap, and magnetic charge connector to get a charge going; bump it at all, and you will wake up to a low charged or dead PlayBook). Pushing the power and volume buttons takes effort. The case rattles in transport due to the kickstand in the case cover. If you have to take the case apart, the hard plastic shell under the silicone sleeve is tough. Overall, the Defender case does its job, but it's not meant for much more. Basically you're paying for name and protection. It does that.

The Ballistic Tough Jacket is my favorite and currently used. Ballistic made a crappy case for the Z10 (not enough outer shell coverage, flimsy silicone, no kickstand, holster or belt clip of any kind ), but with the PlayBook and the Tough Jacket, they created a masterpiece. First, I love the outer hard shell covering the silicone design. I think it's a more durable design than a plastic cage directly against the PlayBook. The reinforced corners of the silicone raise the PlayBook almost 1/2 inch off of a flat surface around the bottom ports, so if you have a Rapid Charger, it hooks right up with no trouble at all in kickstand mode - doesn't even touch the surface. That in itself is worth the price of admission. Now, none of the ports have rubber flaps like the Otterbox Defender, but in this instance, those hurt more than help. The outer shell covers the silicone perfectly. No flimsy sections or peeling anywhere. The biggest highlight is the case cover. Just like the Otterbox, it covers the screen and clips to the back. The HUGE difference is that the case cover has the BEST kickstand I have ever seen of any case PERIOD. It flips out from the case cover and LOCKS. That means no readjusting, no falling flat. And it locks in the closed position, too. This case is designed for more than protection; it can be USED. You can even flip it upside down in kickstand mode to change the angle and hook up HDMI and USB. Oh, and the case cover has almost handle like fairings that make holding it more secure. I have decorated the back of my case cover with BlackBerry stickers and on the inside of the case cover I was able to put information labels I made on a label maker. The final note in this case is that unlike the Otterbox, pressing the power and volume buttons is EASY.

Hopefully this helps someone out, and I'm sure someone will disagree with my review, but something like this could have saved me an extra 50 bucks.

I used my Z10 to create this CrackBerry madness!
    Affie36 and anon(1852343) like this.
    12-24-13 09:45 AM
    Yep, I got them both, too. Totally agree with the kickstand on the Otterbox. I have to wrestle with it for at least 5-10 minutes every time I use it. I can't seem to figure it out. The Ballistic works smoothly. Otherwise I don't mind the plastic screen saver and the rubber flaps on the Otterbox. I suppose the ultimate test is the drop test, but I haven't had to compare them yet on that regard. LOL.
    12-24-13 10:29 AM
    I also use the ballistic case for playbook. Awesome deal from amazon for 18 bucks.

And I just ordered a ballistic case for 10 bucks for z10 . Hope its good.
    12-24-13 12:41 PM
    The Ballistic Z10 was a huge letdown. Physically it looks like the PlayBook case minus the case cover but with one huge difference: for some reason Ballistic decided to only have the outer shell wrap around the sides but not the top and bottom. Add the cheaper quality silicone to that and you get the Z10 case. My fiance loves hers, but for picky case livers such as myself, the Otterbox Defender Z10 case is comparable in awesomeness as the Ballistic Tough Jacket is to the PlayBook. It's a wait-and-see thing really; you might like it as much as she does.

12-24-13 01:25 PM
    I also use the ballistic case for playbook. Awesome deal from amazon for 18 bucks.

And I just ordered a ballistic case for 10 bucks for z10 . Hope its good.
    Is the case currently listed on Amazon for $18? I can only find one for $149 (!!!!) on amazon.ca.
    12-24-13 01:26 PM
    Just a footnote, but if anyone tries to say that the Otterbox Defender for Z10 covers too much of the screen, they are WRONG. Yes, it comes up higher on the screen at the bottom than necessary (covers the word "BlackBerry "), but the edges have a downward sloping bezel on all sides that keep from interfering with gestures. On the Q10 and Z30, Otterbox learned their lesson and minimized interference, but it's still a darn good case and I use it with zero issues. The Otterbox PlayBook case is minimal on the screen (only downward slopes on left and right), but the Ballistic Tough Jacket is extremely minimal on the PlayBook and the Ballistic Z10 case does not touch the screen at all on top and bottom. In fact, the Ballistic Z10 case stop 1/4 inch above and below the screen.

12-24-13 01:37 PM
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B59...bUvbUpU9756066

18 bucks.

12-24-13 01:39 PM
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=_KbDDRCZ

25 bucks.

12-24-13 01:41 PM
    Amazon.com: KarenDeals for Blackberry Playbook OEM Ballistic Tough Jacket Hard Silicone Case Cover Stand SA0597-M355-Red Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

This one I bought last year when it was $18. Now it's 35. I have never dropped it.

For my z10, I bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/Ballistic-SG10...bUvbUpU9756196
    for $10 bucks. I didnt get it yet. Let's see how it is.
    12-24-13 02:13 PM
    Even though this is off-topic, go to www.armor-x.com. They have two cases for the Z10, one of which has the Ballistic Tough Jacket style kickstand. One is 36 bucks, the other is 42. I ordered the 42 dollar one, will post a thread in the Z10 forums once I get it. The cheaper one has the Ballistic style kickstand, but for 6 bucks more, you get that X Mount system and a belt clip plus a small kickstand. Shipping is free. These guys are new.

mcolton73 likes this.
    12-24-13 02:35 PM
    Is the case currently listed on Amazon for $18? I can only find one for $149 (!!!!) on amazon.ca.
    cant find the link now but I looked up the company selling them for 22-30 bucks as in amazon there was no uk shipping option, the parent site will ship overseas.

BALLISTIC Hard Core (HC), Shell Gel (SG) MAXX, Every1, Shell Gel (SG) MAXX Lite, Shell Gel (SG), Life Style (LS) Smooth, Aspira & Tough Jacket Cases, Shop Best Cell Phone Accessories

got an otterbox but tempted to try the ballistic at that price.
    12-24-13 06:29 PM
    I want everyone to know that when it comes to cases I'm insanely picky. Everyone who knows me knows I'm addicted to cases for darn near every electronic device I own. For the Z10 alone I have gone through 7 cases, with only the Seidio Convert Combo and the Otterbox Defender still in my house. One Z10 case worth mentioning is the Trident Kraken A.M.S. It was a VERY good case, but design and looks may not be for everyone. So three I'd recommend for the Z10 (honorable mention for the Ballistic SG), and only two for the PlayBook. I wouldn't sell anyone on anything I wouldn't use or haven't owned myself.

12-24-13 06:44 PM
    Personally I prefer the Blurex case. I cover the screen well and you don't have to take it out of the case. You do have to loosen the two bottom clips to put it on the charging dock or use the two tier stand. And it is on Amazon (US) for $11,99. And it is light.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...bUvbUpU9757327 blackberry case
    mikeplus1 likes this.
    12-24-13 08:11 PM
    My Review Of The Top 2 PlayBook Cases-img_00000201.png
    My Review Of The Top 2 PlayBook Cases-img_00000200.png

Posted via Verizon Z30
    Attachment 233282
    12-25-13 10:48 AM
    Targus Zierra leather portfolio keeps my PlayBook safe, clean and looking extra classy. : )

Whoosh! Z10 in action!
    Last edited by knighty2112; 12-25-13 at 02:01 PM.
    12-25-13 11:06 AM
    Stay classy, San Diego! Yeah I didn't include leather options, and I apologize for that. I should have titled this as more of a rugged case thread. Targis makes great stuff, so does Krusell. I don't do much with leather cases, so more knowledgeable people on that subject feel free to chime in.

12-25-13 11:17 AM
    i used to use the ballistic 'til i got my hands on the mini keyboard case,,, i liked it,,, i had an otterbox on one of my old phones,,, nice but too bulky...
    12-25-13 12:30 PM
    If you want to use cables with the otterbox, just turn it upside down (landscape). The cables some in from the top.

I worked with the "easel" fold out a bit to make it easier to use but it is still tight. But I've had it for more than 2 years now and it has held up well.
    12-25-13 01:43 PM
    I did that, but it kills the ability to turn off the screen via the power button and you can't adjust the volume (or in my case, snooze the Today's Alarm Clock which requires pushing the volume button to snooze the alarm). With the Ballistic, all basic functions are good (provided you don't need to charge via USB or plan to hook up HDMI). I only charge via the separately purchased Rapid Travel Charger, and I highly recommend it's magnetic connection over the bulk of the USB (plus it charges WAY faster). When I hook up to my TV, I flip the Ballistic upside down to do the same thing that you described with the Otterbox , but there is a slight amount of access to the power and volume buttons in that position. Regardless, the Otterbox is still a great case. It's all about preference really.

12-25-13 02:39 PM
    Stay classy, San Diego! Yeah I didn't include leather options, and I apologize for that. I should have titled this as more of a rugged case thread. Targis makes great stuff, so does Krusell. I don't do much with leather cases, so more knowledgeable people on that subject feel free to chime in.

Strange, but after your reply the good old Beeb (BBC) in the UK aired Anchorman. Synchronicity or what? ; )

Whoosh! Z10 in action!
    12-26-13 05:18 PM
    thinking to the reviewer saying he took the screen protector off his otterbox, surely that would effect the splashproofing. one mod I have done is tape a bit of ribbon to the back of the PB then thread it through the headphone socket cover so I can get the flippin thing open.

I have the keyboard and case but don't like it very much, I carry the keyboard in the leather slip case and keep the PB in its otterbox.
    12-26-13 08:22 PM
    Yeah Otterbox is tough when it comes to undoing the plastic cage. Anchorman is huge due to the sequel just being released; I was replying to the guy who used the word "classy" to describe his leather case. It's a shame that when a device is no longer new and exciting manufactures cease to brainstorm new ways to improve upon failed designs. Otterbox could release an updated silicone sleeve that is as tough as the Z10 silicone sleeve, or maybe an updated shell with a kickstand similar to the Ballistic Tough Jacket. Maybe another company could come up with something even more rugged. I mean people still have PlayBooks. Cases don't last as long as the device.

12-26-13 08:58 PM
    Do NOT buy the Armor-X case for the Z10. Cheap junk. Stick to the Trident Kraken A.M.S. and the Otterbox Defender. I posted a thread on those two cases in the Z10 forums. I wouldn't waste a dime on anything but those two if a rugged case is what you seek.

01-07-14 10:07 AM