Wait, all this time I've been using my iPhone for organization and communication, I should have been looking for the legendary and oft mentioned fart app that some people here think is all one can do with an Apple product? I've been using it wrong the whole time?

The stupid. It burns.

I've got blisters on me fingers!!! from using Tapatalk 2
    10-19-12 05:15 PM
    Correct me if i'm wrong but I think you may be confusing iMessenger (which is only Apple) with SMS messaging (refereed to in the OP) which is the only cross platform text communication native to all cellular devices.
    Anyone? Anyone?
    Never mind.

You are wrong. The included iOS Messages app sends and receives both iMessages and SMS as I described above. iMessage functionality is a superset (length, attachments etc) of SMS.
    10-19-12 10:10 PM
    Rule of thumb: Anyone who says Blackberry users should be ashamed is a cretin
    Rule of thumb #2: Anyone who uses the word 'iCrap' is a child*.

Simple and short

*the first thing you should realize as a grown up is that people have different tastes...
    Barljo and David in Durham like this.
    10-20-12 04:28 AM
    Anyone? Anyone?
    Never mind.

You are wrong. The included iOS Messages app sends and receives both iMessages and SMS as I described above. iMessage functionality is a superset (length, attachments etc) of SMS.
    So if I send you an SMS to your iPhone from my BlackBerry you will receive it on your iPad?
    10-20-12 05:28 AM
    I find this in the Ipad guide at Ipadguide.com:

Can I send SMS text messages using the iPad?

UPDATE: As of iOS 5 (expected fall 2011), iPad owners will be able to send text, picture and video messages through Apple's new iMessage application. These are not true SMS or MMS messages, as they can be sent only to other iOS device owners (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch).

For those not running iOS 5, right now the answer appears to be no. Even if you have a Wi-Fi + 3G model of the iPad, the AT&T data plan is strictly for Internet access.

Using third party applications you can send text messages via the iPad -- but messages send using these third party apps will not sync with your existing SMS messages on other devices.

Just posting something I found I have no Apple devices. Perhaps someone could link another source for messaging on Apple devices?
    Dougielas and lavo96 like this.
    10-20-12 08:48 AM
    Yeah I saw that too. As well as a lot of other posts, blogs, etc. that said it can't be done. Just wanted to hear it from moloko-velocet. But I doubt that will happen.
    10-20-12 10:35 AM
    Wait, all this time I've been using my iPhone for organization and communication, I should have been looking for the legendary and oft mentioned fart app that some people here think is all one can do with an Apple product? I've been using it wrong the whole time?

The stupid. It burns.

That isn't the point. The point is the herd mentality of a lot (not all) i-device users and the absolutely erroneous assumption by them and so many others that BB's are useless and freeze and have no apps, blah blah blah. THAT burns. I have nothing against iPhone and iPad other than I prefer my BB and PB over both of them. I use what I like, you use what you like. But some people can't just leave it at that. I still get it from a close friend of mine -- "I can't believe you're still using a BlackBerry. You know, they won't be around for long." He, coincidentally, also uses an iPhone. The OP's story and others like it are what foster the dislike toward other device brands much more than the devices themselves.

Yes, I use BB because first and foremost it's what works best for me, and you use your iPhone because it's what works best for you. But I will also admit that there's a little tiny part of my psyche that whispers to me that, besides functional preferences, I don't want to be a part of that holier-than-thou crowd anyway.
    10-20-12 11:49 AM
    My Rant - The Joys Of Being A BlackBerry User-uploadfromtaptalk1350754341741.jpg having both the nexus 7, play book, galaxy tab 2, I can confirm that the nexus 7 is the obvious winner. It wins in customizability, sheer abundance of apps, stability, app usability, ability to work with different hardware. The usb otg function allows me to use my wired keyboard, printer, ps3 pad, external hard drive, mouse etc. Saying the play book is better is just blind fanboyism.

Sent from my LG-E617G using Tapatalk 2
    10-20-12 12:37 PM
    That isn't the point. The point is the herd mentality of a lot (not all) i-device users and the absolutely erroneous assumption by them and so many others that BB's are useless and freeze and have no apps, blah blah blah. THAT burns. I have nothing against iPhone and iPad other than I prefer my BB and PB over both of them. I use what I like, you use what you like. But some people can't just leave it at that. I still get it from a close friend of mine -- "I can't believe you're still using a BlackBerry. You know, they won't be around for long." He, coincidentally, also uses an iPhone. The OP's story and others like it are what foster the dislike toward other device brands much more than the devices themselves.

Yes, I use BB because first and foremost it's what works best for me, and you use your iPhone because it's what works best for you. But I will also admit that there's a little tiny part of my psyche that whispers to me that, besides functional preferences, I don't want to be a part of that holier-than-thou crowd anyway.
    For sake of disclosure, my iPhone is no longer my main phone. I'm on the SGS3. However I would have no issue going to iPhone 5 from this.

As far as holier than thou attitudes, I find the "BB users do" and iToy/iSheep/iCrap/fart app crap to be far more sanctimonious. So because I don't use a BB I can't be a productive member of society? That's the implication and its false.

10-20-12 12:41 PM
    For sake of disclosure, my iPhone is no longer my main phone. I'm on the SGS3. However I would have no issue going to iPhone 5 from this.

As far as holier than thou attitudes, I find the "BB users do" and iToy/iSheep/iCrap/fart app crap to be far more sanctimonious. So because I don't use a BB I can't be a productive member of society? That's the implication and its false.

Even as an avid BB user, I can't disagree. The unfortunate truth is that there are such implications flying around from all sides. I neither appreciate nor subscribe to any of them.
    David in Durham and reeneebob like this.
    10-20-12 12:52 PM
    I hate all tablets. They all suck. For the last week I've been trying to force myself to use the PlayBook only while at home. Desperately trying to get used to the touchscreen. It has been nothing but frustrating, and may be leading me to alcoholism. Why would I do this when stuff works on my computer and handset. I just don't get the whole tablet thing.
    10-20-12 02:11 PM
    I am a BlackBerry user. I use it because it suits my style and appeals to me. I will never carry an Android device because every one I've tried feels off to me. I am somewhat okay with iOS, but I don't feel it's a main device for me. What I'd like is respect for my choice rather than "You STILL use a BlackBerry?"

I agree with the sheep mentality to a point, because many iOS and Android users buy the devices because other people they know have them. However, every era has devices like this (all my friends had Nextel two-way phones and older model BlackBerry devices at one point, now they all have Android devices save me and one other). With this in mind, I have to say the people who use any platform because they choose to deserve respect. Those who use a platform and suggest that apps or people they know make it superior automatically need to reexamine their choice.

Just my opinion.
    CCJSW10 likes this.
    10-20-12 02:49 PM
    I am a BlackBerry user. I use it because it suits my style and appeals to me. I will never carry an Android device because every one I've tried feels off to me. I am somewhat okay with iOS, but I don't feel it's a main device for me. What I'd like is respect for my choice rather than "You STILL use a BlackBerry?"

I agree with the sheep mentality to a point, because many iOS and Android users buy the devices because other people they know have them. However, every era has devices like this (all my friends had Nextel two-way phones and older model BlackBerry devices at one point, now they all have Android devices save me and one other). With this in mind, I have to say the people who use any platform because they choose to deserve respect. Those who use a platform and suggest that apps or people they know make it superior automatically need to reexamine their choice.

Just my opinion.
    Dude try a nexus 7 and your opinion would change about android if you have an open mind. I remember swearing never to use an android device but the nexus just changed all that

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    10-20-12 10:05 PM
    There are productive members of society on all the platforms. Sadly, though, not every one is productive. Smartphones are used for dumb things more often than not. I have no problem with anyone's choice of platform, as long as they can understand why I choose BlackBerry. Too many people think my Torch 9810 is no good because there aren't nearly as many apps as there are on the Galaxy series Android devices. I'm frustrated by this. Though I personally don't like Android, I recognize there are some useful functions and cool visuals that my BB has no match for currently. But I guarantee the only folks using them are subscribers to Android Central. The average person only wants a phone on which they can play Words With Friends, use Skype, or play around on Instagram or something. The masses don't care like we do.
    12-27-12 07:03 AM
39 12