Ok, so I gotta rant a little bit.

The other day me and some friends of mine got into a discussion about technology. Somewhere along the way we got to talking about cool things we can do these days. So I said "The coolest thing EVER? Being able to recieve text messages through my phone ON my PlayBook AND reply to them FROM my PlayBook. Suck it iPad!"

Well, let it be known that it was NOT the right thing to say. The Apple contingent began railing on me about the dreaded BlacBerry and how bad they suck and what all they don't do and how irrelevant RIM is these days. they even went so far as to ridicule me about being "One of those assinine BlackBerry guys who spends all his time talking about Apple." You would have thought I stabbed their baby or something. From my experience, the Apple contingent go out of thier way to spread hate and discontent about ANY phone that isn't an iPhone. I had to walk away before things got ugly. It was rediculous.

I'll take my Torch2/PlayBook combo ANY day over that iCrap setup. To listen to them tell me that BlackBerry has no apps, can't run anything relevant and does nothing but freeze up and require battery pulls is crazy. When I said "Umm, flash?" they all began telling me how NOTHING uses flash any more so that is irelevant too. Excuse me? Nothing uses flash any more, huh? I beg to differ. And how many free fart apps does a guy need?
    10-18-12 02:05 PM
    "... And how many free fart apps does a guy need?..."

Classic...thanks for the laugh.
    samson47 likes this.
    10-18-12 02:26 PM
    Agreed w the op. One of the best things I am loving is using my pb to respond to text messages. I would welcome correction, but I don't believe any other hardware does this natively or otherwise. It is the little things that matter.

Another app I'm starting to really love is the bb travel app. Very useful.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    David in Durham likes this.
    10-18-12 02:41 PM
    I remember years ago in college how our guest speaker, the inventor R. Buckminster Fuller, rocked the audience about high powered cars like " hundreds of horses at a stop sign, jumping up and down and going nowhere." Well, talk about 35,000 apps! Most of them are useless and the remaining few are probably doing the same thing as each other.
    10-18-12 04:34 PM
    Good Job OP stand up for what you believe in and the hex with the apple magets.
    10-18-12 04:59 PM
    Same here... But when i explain to them about the new ceo, the things theyre working on and basiclly proove that there icraps are going to beable to match a bb10...they all shut up.. Lol. I keep sayin.. Just wait...RIM will sneak in there ...and will blow everyone away.
    10-18-12 05:33 PM
    ** i mean arent going to match.

I brag on the playbook alot... And i have friends whove mever owned a tablet who say theyre going to geta playbook... The hard thing to tell em is that u cant get em no where other than ebay... Im guessing theyre off the retail store shelves so RIM can save money and put money into making the bb10 phones...
    10-18-12 05:42 PM
    ** i mean arent going to match.

I brag on the playbook alot... And i have friends whove mever owned a tablet who say theyre going to geta playbook... The hard thing to tell em is that u cant get em no where other than ebay... Im guessing theyre off the retail store shelves so RIM can save money and put money into making the bb10 phones...
    10-18-12 05:44 PM
    Wow, the ability to receive text messages from your phone to your tablet is not a blackberry only feature. I've been doing that on my nexus 7 using the app tablet talk. You won't realize how much you are missing until you get the device. I still like my PlayBook but truth is I just got me a new nexus 7 and an android phone. And got my gf a galaxy tab. Haven't touched my PlayBook ever since cos what I used it for was run sideloaded android files in the first place and what can better run android than a real android device

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    randall2580 likes this.
    10-18-12 07:55 PM
    Ok, so I gotta rant a little bit.

The Apple contingent began railing on me about the dreaded BlacBerry and how bad they suck and what all they don't do and how irrelevant RIM is these days. they even went so far as to ridicule me about being "One of those assinine BlackBerry guys who spends all his time talking about Apple."

I'll take my Torch2/PlayBook combo ANY day over that iCrap setup. To listen to them tell me that BlackBerry has no apps, can't run anything relevant and does nothing but freeze up and require battery pulls is crazy. When I said "Umm, flash?" they all began telling me how NOTHING uses flash any more so that is irelevant too. Excuse me? Nothing uses flash any more, huh? I beg to differ. And how many free fart apps does a guy need?
    Your friend has a point...It seems like Crackberry can't get enough of Apple (c) the countless anti Apple threads created by BB users.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    CairnsRock and mikeo007 like this.
    10-18-12 08:04 PM
    Correction. Not all BB users crap on Apple. Also for your info, I use BB because I like my Playbook and Bold, not because I hate Apple. Anyone will be stupid enough to spend money on something because he or she hate the rival company. I don't suppose you wear Adidas because you hate Nike?
    bdegrande likes this.
    10-18-12 08:14 PM
    I think you should have just said the nice things about the PlayBook. Adding suck it ipad is really asking for it. Lol. What did you expect?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Masahiro likes this.
    10-18-12 08:37 PM
    Wow, the ability to receive text messages from your phone to your tablet is not a blackberry only feature. I've been doing that on my nexus 7 using the app tablet talk. You won't realize how much you are missing until you get the device. I still like my PlayBook but truth is I just got me a new nexus 7 and an android phone. And got my gf a galaxy tab. Haven't touched my PlayBook ever since cos what I used it for was run sideloaded android files in the first place and what can better run android than a real android device

*Natively*, there is only one other platform that supports text messaging with a phone/tablet combo - webOS. The last update issued before HP made webOS open source gave the Pre2 this function with the Touchpad (the Pre3 did it out of the box).

I went the opposite way, and returned to using a BB/PB combo rather than GNex/Nexus7 combo. Tablet talk is fine, but I found it requires reconnection every now and then. And sharing web pages, photos etc between the two is clumsy via NFC/Android Beam. I found its more intuitive clicking on a menu and zapping it over, rather than pushing the two devices together. Bridge is still far and away a better option - for me - as I can keep my email/sms/notes etc on my phone only, then when the kids grab the tablet to play games I can disconnect Bridge and that data is not accessible to little eyes and deleting fingers

And someone please tell tablet manufacturers to have a look at the Playbook - and put the speakers on the front and not the back!! Sound-wise the PB trumps any other tablet I have used, hands down.
    10-18-12 09:48 PM
    "to each his own" but we all know BlackBerry Playbook rules!
    10-18-12 09:49 PM

So, tiger, what is it that you do with your nexus tablet computer again?
    10-19-12 12:33 AM
    So, tiger, what is it that you do with your nexus tablet computer again?
    What I do with my play book? Well delete all your side loaded android apps and il ask you the same question.

And to the lavo, nfc is not the only way to share files. You can sync most of your files with drop box, you can share with blue tooth you can use a usb otg. Thousands of ways. And while at it, I've hooked up my Epson printer to use air print with my nexus. I play games on my nexus using my ps3 pad. Great photo editing tools, I make calls with my nexus 7, all the apps can share with each other. I really don't know how I survived with only the play book.

Sent from my LG-E617G using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by ryder4587; 10-19-12 at 02:15 AM.
    10-19-12 01:47 AM
    What I do with my play book? Well delete all your side loaded android apps and il ask you the same question.

And to the lavo, nfc is not the only way to share files. You can sync most of your files with drop box, you can share with blue tooth you can use a usb otg. Thousands of ways. And while at it, I've hooked up my Epson printer to use air print with my nexus. I play games on my nexus using my ps3 pad. Great photo editing tools, I make calls with my nexus 7, all the apps can share with each other. I really don't know how I survived with only the play book.

Sent from my LG-E617G using Tapatalk 2
    its not the sideloaded apps....its some apps from app world... I dunno but after I used a few the other night... my pb has been quirky...
    10-19-12 06:48 AM
    even still after I've deleted the apps ...still quirky
    10-19-12 06:49 AM
    I play games on my nexus using my ps3 pad.
    Now THIS (attaching a gamepad) is what I'd like to have.
    10-19-12 08:15 AM
    Bridge is a very underrated. What may have originally been developed as a quick fix for the lack of email and PIM functions has really evolved into something useful that allows one to take advantage of a true integration between smartphone and tablet.

Regarding the Apple contingent...how did you expect them to react? How did the BlackBerry faithful react when that NYT piece came out a few days ago? How do they react to the various RIM slam articles that pop up? Different sides of the same coin.

I'm primarily a BlackBerry user, but I check out some Apple forums as well because I do also use some secondary devices (iPod touch, iPad) made by them. The main difference in tone in those forums I find, is that while some Apple owners may think their devices are "superior", they usually will not say anything to that effect unless provoked to do so. On BlackBerry forums you will find with some regularity, a number of members that constantly feel the need to compare their devices to Apple and put it down.
    bdegrande and lavo96 like this.
    10-19-12 09:21 AM
    Bridge is a very underrated. What may have originally been developed as a quick fix for the lack of email and PIM functions has really evolved into something useful that allows one to take advantage of a true integration between smartphone and tablet.

Regarding the Apple contingent...how did you expect them to react? How did the BlackBerry faithful react when that NYT piece came out a few days ago? How do they react to the various RIM slam articles that pop up? Different sides of the same coin.

I'm primarily a BlackBerry user, but I check out some Apple forums as well because I do also use some secondary devices (iPod touch, iPad) made by them. The main difference in tone in those forums I find, is that while some Apple owners may think their devices are "superior", they usually will not say anything to that effect unless provoked to do so. On BlackBerry forums you will find with some regularity, a number of members that constantly feel the need to compare their devices to Apple and put it down.
    True

10-19-12 01:32 PM
    even still after I've deleted the apps ...still quirky
    Have you done a reboot after deleting? Any time things get "quirky" (which isn't often for me) a reboot seems to help. I've only got one android game on my pb (from AppWorld) and as long as I close it out properly using the back arrow in the player, I haven't had a problem. Hope you get this resolved.
    10-19-12 01:40 PM
    So much fail in one thread.

�So I said "The coolest thing EVER? Being able to recieve text messages through my phone ON my PlayBook AND reply to them FROM my PlayBook. Suck it iPad!"�

�Agreed w the op. One of the best things I am loving is using my pb to respond to text messages. ****I would welcome correction****, but I don't believe any other hardware does this natively or otherwise. It is the little things that matter.�

�*Natively*, there is only one other platform that supports text messaging with a phone/tablet combo - webOS. The last update issued before HP made webOS open source gave the Pre2 this function with the Touchpad (the Pre3 did it out of the box).�

Here is the correction:
    The advantage that the OP was crowing about over iOS devices does not exist. iPhone / iPad users have had the ability *natively* to send and receive their text messages from either device seamlessly for over a year. Texts appear on both devices. Use either device to respond. Swap as desired. Everything stays in perfect sync. Devices can even be on different networks (commonly cellular and wifi for me). It just works.

Seriously, if you are going to comment on the relative advantages of a platform and don�t want to come across as uninformed, you really should know what the platforms are capable of. This arguing from a position of ignorance is distressingly common on this forum. Additionally, we all make mistakes, but surely others viewing this thread know what time it is. Why don't you gently correct this thrice repeated error?

PS
    TerribleTim68:
    �Well, let it be known that it was NOT the right thing to say.�
    -True on so many levels.
    bdegrande and randall2580 like this.
    10-19-12 01:54 PM
    “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
    philchang and fcch like this.
    10-19-12 02:11 PM
    So much fail in one thread.

“So I said "The coolest thing EVER? Being able to recieve text messages through my phone ON my PlayBook AND reply to them FROM my PlayBook. Suck it iPad!"”

“Agreed w the op. One of the best things I am loving is using my pb to respond to text messages. ****I would welcome correction****, but I don't believe any other hardware does this natively or otherwise. It is the little things that matter.”

“*Natively*, there is only one other platform that supports text messaging with a phone/tablet combo - webOS. The last update issued before HP made webOS open source gave the Pre2 this function with the Touchpad (the Pre3 did it out of the box).”

Here is the correction:
    The advantage that the OP was crowing about over iOS devices does not exist. iPhone / iPad users have had the ability *natively* to send and receive their text messages from either device seamlessly for over a year. Texts appear on both devices. Use either device to respond. Swap as desired. Everything stays in perfect sync. Devices can even be on different networks (commonly cellular and wifi for me). It just works.

Seriously, if you are going to comment on the relative advantages of a platform and don’t want to come across as uninformed, you really should know what the platforms are capable of. This arguing from a position of ignorance is distressingly common on this forum. Additionally, we all make mistakes, but surely others viewing this thread know what time it is. Why don't you gently correct this thrice repeated error?

PS
    TerribleTim68:
    “Well, let it be known that it was NOT the right thing to say.”
    -True on so many levels.
    Correct me if i'm wrong but I think you may be confusing iMessenger (which is only Apple) with SMS messaging (refereed to in the OP) which is the only cross platform text communication native to all cellular devices.
    Barljo and Deppe like this.
    10-19-12 04:08 PM
39 12