i have posted a quick review of my experience using the PlayBook for a week or so on my blog

MY REVIEW OF THE PLAYBOOK

Check it out and see what you think

Overall i am postive about it, however we all know it needs improving

Thanks

- nothing is for sale on my blog so no traffic leaching, it is a big post to didnt want to post it as a forum post.
    07-24-11 09:06 AM
    you" said the battery is pretty bad " which isnt true at all.i can get full day without charging and in heavy use.
    07-24-11 09:14 AM
    it is fully charged over night then last about 3-4 hours whilst playing games and stuff

however as we all know battery life is different for every single person

overall i have found it doesnt last that long for me
    07-24-11 09:26 AM
    it is fully charged over night then last about 3-4 hours whilst playing games and stuff

however as we all know battery life is different for every single person

overall i have found it doesnt last that long for me
    that what happen if you buy something from ebay.you should have said that your unit lasted 3-4 hours because in my experience it will last 2x or 3x of what you said with continous use.
    07-24-11 09:29 AM
    has nothing to do with fact got it from ebay it was brand new in box never opened with security seals on!

battery lasting not very long to me is about 3-4 hours!

im glad yours lasts longer!
    07-24-11 09:31 AM
    i agree with battery life if using constantly, everyone brags about battery life with the Playbook and phones, that is never my experience, if i sit here and use the Playbook or my Bold constantly, my battery is dead so much sooner than everyone else says with theyre heavy use. I used to think i was doing something wrong but im not. I just think what a lot of people consider heavy usage isnt heavy at all. If i browse the web nonstop on my Playbook im looking for a charger in about 4 hours and with the Bold its about 3 hours
    07-24-11 09:56 AM
    I have to agree with sky and gor. I watch movies using hdmi to tv, browse, youtube, and game and the battery lasts and lasts. Other than that I pretty much agree with your assessment.
    07-24-11 10:28 AM
    Its the same for the highly acclaimed iPad/iPad2 as well...constant non-stop usage that requires constant Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connection will drain the battery faster. But when in stand-by mode, Blackberry smartphone and Playbook alike really keeps the battery life at a constant which is something really impressive IMO.
    07-24-11 10:31 AM
    Didn't the 1.0.7 update bring unzip? You state that are unable to open zip files. I'm also on the don't see the point for a tablet boat, but did notice that I don't touch my laptop at home and do all my browsing from my torch. So I decided to use the $100 off in staples, got one yesterday and will recieve it today. If i don't like it I'll just sell it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-11 12:54 PM
    I don't agree with the review at all.
    I dont get the price thing. Its the most powerful tablet so of course it worth �399. Of a course a tablet for the same price can do more, but thats an argument against every tablet.
    I buy everything on ebay and get it cheaper, so what!
    The app thing is also a red herring. A few more serious apps would be nice, but I didn't buy this to be a nintendo 3D.
    I have an ipad as well, I use that at home and my children use it for the fun educational apps.
    The playbook comes with me to work every day as its lightweight.
    I think it excellent, and the browser is so much quicker then the ipad its not true ...
    07-24-11 01:29 PM
    Why are you posting a review when you are clearly a playbook novice?
    07-24-11 01:43 PM
    Just about to ask the samething

07-24-11 02:00 PM
    i have posted a quick review of my experience using the PlayBook for a week or so on my blog

MY REVIEW OF THE PLAYBOOK

Check it out and see what you think

Overall i am postive about it, however we all know it needs improving

Thanks

- nothing is for sale on my blog so no traffic leaching, it is a big post to didnt want to post it as a forum post.

You should really proofread your blog. The grammar is terrible.

The battery on the Playbook is not as good as other tablets but it is not dismal. All in all, I would rate your review to be rather poor compared to well known technology sites.
    Last edited by lavrishevo; 07-24-11 at 02:17 PM.
    07-24-11 02:13 PM
    I will agree in not having as many games or apps as say the iPad and also those games for the most part not being all that great. But are games the real selling point to tablets? I mean you want games, buy a laptop and join Steam. Or buy a cheaper Wii, 360, PS3, 3DS, DS, PSP. You could buy a few gaming consoles new for the same price of any new tablet.

No tablet has games anywhere near as good as the libraries you will find on Steam or on any modern home or portable console. ****, I would take a 1989 Game Boy over anything on iOS, Android, QNX, WebOS, etc. Less colors, better games. lol Games on tablets is a non-issue to me.

But apps, I will agree matter a lot. However, having a Web Browser with Flash nullifies the need for apps for everything. For example, how much different is the Crackberry app vs. the site on the Playbook? The notable apps or sites that are missing in action are Netflix and Hulu, that is a major drawback.

As for the checkerboxed screens on web browsing, I will agree with the reviewer on that point too. For such a powerful tablet, loading pages takes longer than it should at times. Don't get me wrong, its up relatively fast, but as you scroll you will see plenty of checkerboxing. It is overall an excellent browser, but could be a bit better.

As for the battery, I will say it will last me long enough with heavy use. I am not sitting there timing it, but it has the huge advantage of the laptops which batteries die fast when not plugged into something. Isn't that the advantage of all tablets? Much better battery life than laptops and more portable. That, the Playbook does just fine. How does it compare to the iPad2 battery or the Xoom, the TouchPad? I dunno? Could there really be that much of a difference?

I would say if you are a Blackberry user, the Playbook is the best tablet to buy if you feel the need to purchase a tablet. The Bridge feature, something that is dismissed, marginalized, and extremely underrated by many tech "critics" puts it over the top. Free data sharing with its browser, contacts, calendar, etc. It won't run your apps if Bridge is your only connection, but having the Flash enabled browser is HUGE. Tablets to me are like very good more portable netbooks, web browsing should be the top priority. The Playbook does this well and even with no extra data plan, Bridge circumvents this nicely for FREE!!!

If you do not own a Blackberry, then the Playbook is good, but its not the be all end all tablet as none of them are. It all depends on preferences in form factor (7'' or 10''), OS (iOS, Android, QNX, WebOS), browsing (flash vs. no flash), etc.

Blackberry users though, Playbook is simply the best out there. Free data sharing is being underrated and gullible users are buying tablets with data plans or paying extra for tethering or hotspot features that there phones should do for free but carriers are greedy evil pricks!!!
    Send Again and esqlaw like this.
    07-24-11 02:40 PM
    Here's my review, I love my pb.........nuff said!!!!!
    colonel, danimalchil and mrpink73 like this.
    07-24-11 02:47 PM
    I will agree in not having as many games or apps as say the iPad and also those games for the most part not being all that great. But are games the real selling point to tablets? I mean you want games, buy a laptop and join Steam. Or buy a cheaper Wii, 360, PS3, 3DS, DS, PSP. You could buy a few gaming consoles new for the same price of any new tablet.

No tablet has games anywhere near as good as the libraries you will find on Steam or on any modern home or portable console. ****, I would take a 1989 Game Boy over anything on iOS, Android, QNX, WebOS, etc. Less colors, better games. lol Games on tablets is a non-issue to me.

But apps, I will agree matter a lot. However, having a Web Browser with Flash nullifies the need for apps for everything. For example, how much different is the Crackberry app vs. the site on the Playbook? The notable apps or sites that are missing in action are Netflix and Hulu, that is a major drawback.

As for the checkerboxed screens on web browsing, I will agree with the reviewer on that point too. For such a powerful tablet, loading pages takes longer than it should at times. Don't get me wrong, its up relatively fast, but as you scroll you will see plenty of checkerboxing. It is overall an excellent browser, but could be a bit better.

As for the battery, I will say it will last me long enough with heavy use. I am not sitting there timing it, but it has the huge advantage of the laptops which batteries die fast when not plugged into something. Isn't that the advantage of all tablets? Much better battery life than laptops and more portable. That, the Playbook does just fine. How does it compare to the iPad2 battery or the Xoom, the TouchPad? I dunno? Could there really be that much of a difference?

I would say if you are a Blackberry user, the Playbook is the best tablet to buy if you feel the need to purchase a tablet. The Bridge feature, something that is dismissed, marginalized, and extremely underrated by many tech "critics" puts it over the top. Free data sharing with its browser, contacts, calendar, etc. It won't run your apps if Bridge is your only connection, but having the Flash enabled browser is HUGE. Tablets to me are like very good more portable netbooks, web browsing should be the top priority. The Playbook does this well and even with no extra data plan, Bridge circumvents this nicely for FREE!!!

If you do not own a Blackberry, then the Playbook is good, but its not the be all end all tablet as none of them are. It all depends on preferences in form factor (7'' or 10''), OS (iOS, Android, QNX, WebOS), browsing (flash vs. no flash), etc.

Blackberry users though, Playbook is simply the best out there. Free data sharing is being underrated and gullible users are buying tablets with data plans or paying extra for tethering or hotspot features that there phones should do for free but carriers are greedy evil pricks!!!
    thank you.
    07-24-11 02:55 PM
    Yeah we get enough shallow inaccurate reviews from the high profile so called tech experts....
    07-24-11 04:04 PM
    You should really proofread your blog. The grammar is terrible.

The battery on the Playbook is not as good as other tablets but it is not dismal. All in all, I would rate your review to be rather poor compared to well known technology sites.
    i am not a well know tech site tho am i ???? i am one man!

this is my take on the playbook - i do like it, just wish was better! everyone has a different view which is fine and how the world runs!

i make my living from BlackBerry themes so i am never gonna bash RIM this is my view on the device thats all
    07-24-11 04:10 PM
    Just about to ask the samething

are you an expert then?

i have 9 BlackBerry devices and know how to work them, had PlayBook for a week and used it every day and know how it works, how am i a novice?
    07-24-11 04:13 PM
    I thought the review you wrote was somewhat fair to an extent, but like so many others the weaker points are magnified where the strengths are generally ignored.

At least you weren't nitpicking to the extent the so called "tech experts" were when it launched, complaining about the power button and native email while ignoring everything else.

They obviously didn't use it since they overlooked the Hulu/Netflix sites being blocked and acted as if Bridge worked perfectly at launch, which it didn't. They had plenty of real things to complain about, but it seemed like they got overly defensive of the iPad and Ipad2 and just made up things or put unrealistic demands on it or prioritized the wrong features or lack of features and never really used it.

I agree in lack of games, apps, and too much checkerboxing of screens at times. All fair criticisms. But I disagree in it having a bad battery life. Bad as compared to what? It still blows away any laptop or netbook which is the advantage of all tablets over those devices along with being more portable and far less cumbersome. Compared to other tablets? I dunno, can't be THAT much different, it depends a lot on what you are doing with it, how its being used.
    07-24-11 06:41 PM
    I thought the review was fair overall. Battery life is going to be different for everyone. I think the PlayBook's battery life is good, not spectacular. But considering the best-in-class specifications, it is more than acceptable. As for the price, I agree that the PlayBook is overpriced at this time. The applications simply aren't there yet and I think that's critical. I'm not talking about 1,000 fart apps, I'm talking about major apps like Skype, Netflix, Kindle and others that aren't available and may never be. We may get great applications in the future, but there's no guarantee of that. Meanwhile, the PlayBook sits next to the iPad2 and is priced the same. I couldn't bring myself to pay full price for the PlayBook. I bought a mint 32Gb unit for $300 yesterday. Classified ads are full of lightly used (sometimes new in box) PlayBooks selling for a fraction of the price of a new unit in the store.
    07-24-11 06:50 PM
    I cant stand whiners or trolls. His review didn't fit in either of those categories. He didn't do any bashing, he just gave his opinion. Anything beats reading so called expert reviews (BGR for example), at least he actually owns one and wants RIM to succeed.
    chiefbroski and cookney like this.
    07-24-11 06:53 PM
    its HIS review. let it be. anyone can have their own review. subjective or not, he tried to share what he thought about pb.
    if apple produce 7" ipad would you think pb will stand a chance against it? no. and that's from business point of view : marketing (own stores, no best buys), product and accessories (you can get anything you want to compliment apple products), applications, hardware quality, and so on.
    while rim got to struggle with this resellers having the products without power, turned off, not connected to wifi etc. why would'nt rim has it's own store? its their business decision. and this (current) resellers performance is the consequences of going cheap by selling thru resellers. is that apple or market's fault? no. it's a business decision. apple decide to go exclusive and it pays well.
    07-24-11 06:58 PM
    its HIS review. let it be. anyone can have their own review. subjective or not, he tried to share what he thought about pb.
    if apple produce 7" ipad would you think pb will stand a chance against it? no. and that's from business point of view : marketing (own stores, no best buys), product and accessories (you can get anything you want to compliment apple products), applications, hardware quality, and so on.
    while rim got to struggle with this resellers having the products without power, turned off, not connected to wifi etc. why would'nt rim has it's own store? its their business decision. and this (current) resellers performance is the consequences of going cheap by selling thru resellers. is that apple or market's fault? no. it's a business decision. apple decide to go exclusive and it pays well.
    What does apple have to do with this thread?

His review is poor and not accurate because he is a novice with the playbook. He put himself out there by making this thread. Of course he is gonna get criticized for it, positive or negative. I put out my own review and understood the risk.

His point of view sucks. Deal with it. He will probably remedy it once he gets deeper into the experience, I am guessing.

This humdrum about apple and RIM sales... is irrelevant and no one cares. But if Apple put out a 7inch tablet, you'd be a moron to bet upon RIM outselling.

Why would RIM think about opening up stores? They're not apple and they don't need to be. They aren't even largely a consumer based company as, correct me if I am wrong, a majority of their money comes from enterprise services.

You talk big like you're qualified to run RIM but can't even manage to hit the shift button?
    07-24-11 07:29 PM
    His review is poor and not accurate because he is a novice with the playbook.
    We all are as the playbook is new.
    07-24-11 07:38 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD