Hey all,
    got my PB a few weeks ago, transfered over some home made HD videos to it and was working fine until I bought a new camera yesterday(nikon V1)- being a much higher quality camera than my last (olympus) which no longer works I might add, I was eager make a clip and transfer it to PB and see the difference in quality from new camera to old. The new camera shoots 1080p MOV files - but for some reason I simply cannot get this video to play on PB - When I first got PB i simply drag and dropped all my videos into PB video folder and no problems - I tried this same technique today but no luck - its shows up when the list is populated but does not play.
    I thought okay I'll sync it in the proper way thru desk top software but again nothing. Okay I thought this time I'll go all the way and convert and sync the file thru desk top sofware figuring this time it'll have to work - well it did work - BUT, the movie was sped up for some reason, video only - audio kept going at normal pace.
    [I] thought to my self this is totally weird
    so i tried taking the movie off and putting back on, rebooted PB and PC in the process and again nothing.
    To make matters worse, PB wont play any of the videos now - even the ones previously put on when I first got it. and just to complicate this cluster f..k of a situation I tried shooting a quik video with PB's on board vdeo camera and although it seems to be recording the video and it show up when video the list is populated, again no play back what so ever.
    After some time it says media error - please try again.
    Any one got any experience dealing with this?

P.S I just noticed it wont play back any of my music files now either - apps seem to be working, browser is workin fine too!
    Last edited by TheCLEANSER; 12-15-11 at 10:52 PM. Reason: frgt to mention some thing
    12-15-11 10:43 PM
    Your new camera is creating files with different codecs (file extension and codec are not the same thing). While the PB has pretty good support it does not support every codec. You'll likely need to transcode the audio in those files (that's the weakness, basically every video format works). There's lots of threads about this if you search.
    12-15-11 11:44 PM
    I guess you missed the part where I said that now none of my video's work - this includes the dozen or so that played with no problems just the other day.
    12-16-11 08:45 AM
    damn that sounds frustrating... I'd get on th ephone and call the 1-800 # get them to help you sort this out. I'm hoping your video files are backed up... they'll probably get you to do an os re-install. But make the call, I'm hoping you'll post the results of what they tell you. There must be a way to fix this.
    12-16-11 10:10 AM
    I guess you missed the part where I said that now none of my video's work - this includes the dozen or so that played with no problems just the other day.
    Try rebooting the PlayBook.
    12-16-11 10:11 AM
    I apologize if I missed but have you tried to restart your pb? Two ways: PRESS and HOLD the power button for 10-15 seconds.

More powerful reboot:

Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown
    12-16-11 10:13 AM
    Yep, sorry, missed that. Rebooting your PB should fix this, I've had it happen to me once before. Just tap the battery icon and choose restart.
    12-16-11 01:18 PM
    Sorry guys busy at work for few days and Yes you guys were right, rebooting playbook had allowed my old videos to play back again.
    My camera records this type of file according to the instruction manual,

File Format = MOV
    Video Compression =H.264/MPEG-4 Advance Video Coding
    Audio Recording format = AAC

Now I've looked at what appears to be a genuin blackberry PDF file showing all the formats it plays and unless im reading this wrong it should play.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp..._(English).pdf
    12-21-11 12:51 AM
    Try putting the videos into iTune and using the Desktop Manager to sync them to the PlayBook.

If that doesn't work, try using iTunes to convert them for AppleTV. In iTunes, select the video and then on the iTunes menu select Advanced, then create iPad or AppleTV version. This last step I have used to stream PLayBook videos through iTunes to AppleTV. Even though iTunes will play the PlayBook videos, they will not work with AppleTV without this conversion. There have been a few software updates to AppleTV lately which may have fixed this. I haven't tried it lately.
    12-21-11 06:16 AM
    Try putting the videos into iTune and using the Desktop Manager to sync them to the PlayBook.

If that doesn't work, try using iTunes to convert them for AppleTV. In iTunes, select the video and then on the iTunes menu select Advanced, then create iPad or AppleTV version. This last step I have used to stream PLayBook videos through iTunes to AppleTV. Even though iTunes will play the PlayBook videos, they will not work with AppleTV without this conversion. There have been a few software updates to AppleTV lately which may have fixed this. I haven't tried it lately.
    Okay so played with it some more - took another movie with camera and video format as described above- this time the movie played but choppy - audio sounded fine but when ever camera was moving left or right it got really choppy.

So i took your advice and imported movie to itunes - I tunes didnt like the movie either - same symptoms choppy especially when camera moving left or right. Plays fine on WMP, but then again theres nothing that wont play on WMP ever since ive downloaded the k-lite mega codec pack for it. Back to I-tunes, I followed ur instructions and coverted the video for Ipad or apple tv version and wouldnt ya know works like a charm.

None the less, this is too much much bull**** to put a home movie in a popular format on the playbook ESPECIALLY when PB is cleary suppossed to support this format - This should be a simple drag and drop precedure and seeing how these tablets are supposesd to be multi media entertainment machines I dont see why it cant be that simple. Like seriously, look at all the bull **** I just went through to put this movie on my tablet. I'm some what computer savy, most people are not and will go for the tablet thats easiest to use.
    I dont think would be too much trouble on RIM's part to make play book support all formats seamlessly.

P.S if any one knows a way I could by pass all the BS it would be appreciated if you could let me know.
    12-21-11 10:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD