This is a post of both before and after experiences on my Playbook today:

Sunday morning I used my PB to stream internet radio as I do every other day. When it came for me to simply browse the web or load YouTube videos, the connection to my wifi tripped out. Normally, I would simply do a restart and everything will be fine and dandy.

The device turned off on my command to restart, booted up the Playbook boot screen, stayed booting longer than usual then went black. I pressed the power button, swiped the screen. Nothing. Only the LED indicator light flashed red in intervals of two every few moments.

The battery was at 72% when the PB had the stroke. I plugged it into the charger. Waited. Pressed the power button. The two-Red Blink series continued. Fearing the worst, I immediately connected it to Desktop Manager. I pressed the power button, DM read there was an error so I preceded to reload the OS. The first time it took nearly an hour to try to download the entire OS, try to connect to the PB then ERROR! I gave it a second try. Another hour later, the OS reload was done successfully. The PB was like new. Sadly, I lost everything that I could not and did not back up. There was a hiccup when I completed the Welcome To PB screen but another restart fixed it. Since then, no problems. But I use it with caution now after the freak incident.

Apparently, I'm not the only one to have suffered this according to the BlackBerry Forums. The above solution did NOT work for others that tried. They ultimately had to replace it. Even the tech support at BlackBerry had no idea of how to fix this any other way. Maybe I got lucky. Still, the PB randomly bricked. No malicious website was visited. No app side-loading. Nothing fancy. Just your regular consumer usage.

If your PB suffered the same thing, try holding down the power, - and + volume buttons all at once for 10 seconds before trying this "solution." I hope no one else has to go through this. I got my PB April 19 - the first sale day.

Good luck, PB owners!
    48Forward likes this.
    09-18-11 11:27 PM
    i just got into the same problem yesterday. was browsing via bridge and it became slow. i did a soft restart and from there got the intermittent double red blink

i have 6months worth of data, video, music and pictures that has never been backed up on it
    12-30-11 04:42 AM
    I went through this when I got my second playbook that had been obviously previously owned and returned when they thought it was bricked. The procedures I went through inspired the Tips and Tricks for Newbies sticky..link below this post. I dont recall seeing the double red blink you describe, but I did see the logo appear and then go black...I wonder how common that is or what it means...

Since I recovered it, it has been stable ever since. I do think pb freaks out when the battery is allowed to run down, so I make sure that doesn't happen now.

I think you will have good luck from here on out, as this never seems to be a hardware issue.
    Good luck, and welcome to crackberry!!

Any further issues please keep this thread updated. Thanks for posting.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 12-30-11 at 06:06 AM.
    12-30-11 05:57 AM
    i just got into the same problem yesterday. was browsing via bridge and it became slow. i did a soft restart and from there got the intermittent double red blink

i have 6months worth of data, video, music and pictures that has never been backed up on it
    If you are careful you shouldnt lose your pics and videos...
    the previously owned one that I recovered was debricked with the previous owners pics vids, bookmarks browsing history intact. Only an intentional security wipe removed them. Note I did Not use desktop manager at all in the recovery - that could be overkill in a panic situation and could cause data loss. Hope I'm not too late.
    12-30-11 06:12 AM

Good lesson for people to backup. They have been telling us for years to backup!

I use to support computers and no one ever worries about their files until after a disaster. Sorry you might lose everything.
    12-30-11 07:01 AM
    If you are careful you shouldnt lose your pics and videos...
    the previously owned one that I recovered was debricked with the previous owners pics vids, bookmarks browsing history intact. Only an intentional security wipe removed them. Note I did Not use desktop manager at all in the recovery - that could be overkill in a panic situation and could cause data loss. Hope I'm not too late.
    thanx Blackjack for your response. i have tried the hard reset severally without any luck so far. i have refrained from using desktop manager

is there any part of the other thread you mentioned where the PB recovery is discussed?

when my unit is plugged in, it blinks red twice intermittently. even if its plugged in for 24hrs, it keeps blinking red and never powers up enough for the OS to charge the battery . when i do the power+vol+, vol-, the red blink goes off

read here KB26748-BlackBerry PlayBook tablet fails to boot and displays flashing red LED in sequence blink blink pause that there is no solution
    01-03-12 10:26 AM
    i recently had some of the same issues with my recently purchased PB. after a lil over a month of light use my PB had a stroke too! After taking back to bestbuy to get another one i found out that they no loger carry them. I called the PB Tech support to no avail They took me me through a series of steps that almost lasted an hour. after that they contacted RIM & told me to sent it back to them. Mine
    would not respond at all to the hard reset or to plugging in a charger or CPU!!!!
    01-03-12 11:37 AM
    sadly, replacement might be the only way. I was lucky to get mine fixed. . . =/
    01-03-12 11:47 AM
    does anybody know if the debrick option allows you to do a last ditch back up before it runs?

that is the option i have not tried cos i dont have a backup of the data on my PB
    01-05-12 03:47 AM
    I got all hopeful reading your post. I think my PB is further bricked than that. I was going through my morning ritual, email, rss feeds, and so on. The screen started flashing between what was on screen and black, became slightly unresponsive, and then non responsive. For about an hour the screen just stayed that way. Now the screen is dark.

Power button does nothing, same for power+vol up/down, screen swipes also do nothing. When I plug it into my PC desktop manager says it's not connected. It had a full battery charge when I started so my next step is to wait until hopefully the battery no longer has a charge. I was more hopeful when the screen was on, now that it's off I'm less hopeful it will lose it's charge today.

No blinking light of any kind for me either.

Anybody else see something similar?

On a side note, this is my second PB. The first one's wifi/bluetooth died 2 weeks after purchase which was bought day one the PB was available. This one has lasted flawlessly until this morning. I was laughing when it first started freaking out thinking I'd just reboot it until that didn't work.
    Last edited by jmarkey77; 01-05-12 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Added side note
    01-05-12 09:11 AM
    Debrick just moves ahead to restore the pb.

I am not sure what you mean by DATA? I backup files like music, photos, videos, docs and pdf's, etc manually by just copying and pasting to my computer. I mirror all of the folders on my computer and make sure everything is copied. When I did a Security Wipe, I just did a bit of housekeeping. But I did lose stuff like bookmarks, game progress and all of my settings (wifi sharing, network addressing and passwords, etc).

Good luck
    01-05-12 09:12 AM
    Just over three hours since the PB died, I was showing my wife how the power button wasn't even working and it turned my PB on. It's fine now. Totally odd huh?
    01-05-12 09:41 AM
    Just over three hours since the PB died, I was showing my wife how the power button wasn't even working and it turned my PB on. It's fine now. Totally odd huh?
    You use it too much and it was tired lol. Yes computers do some odd things at times, all of them. I wonder if the power button was stuck or something. I think the way it turns on from being off confuses some people (not saying you) as you push the button and get a light but it goes out and seems it is doing nothing until the screen starts up which takes a little bit.
    01-05-12 09:50 AM
    Debrick just moves ahead to restore the pb.

I am not sure what you mean by DATA? I backup files like music, photos, videos, docs and pdf's, etc manually by just copying and pasting to my computer. I mirror all of the folders on my computer and make sure everything is copied. When I did a Security Wipe, I just did a bit of housekeeping. But I did lose stuff like bookmarks, game progress and all of my settings (wifi sharing, network addressing and passwords, etc).

Good luck
    by data i meant music, videos, photos, docs and pdfs before the restoration
    01-06-12 08:17 AM
    I manually backup data as I mentioned. First, 20gigs of data will take Desktop manager or any method quite a while. So I generally try copying stuff as I created it on the pb (camera pictures) or if I download something on the pb. I will copy to my computer. My music and videos, generally come from my computer so copies already exist.
    01-06-12 09:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD