10-16-20 11:04 AM
37 12
tools
    What PDF reader are you using? I’ve never experienced any problems with Adobe reader. Maybe I haven’t used anything heavy enough to be a problem.

I was trying a bit of an experiment using the browser and I ended up with the error “The network is unavailable. Please try again later.” It happens on some sites and not others. I googled and tried a few things but nothing worked. It’s not a big deal because I don’t really use the browser much but it would be cool to figure out what the solution is.
    Ah well I tend to be reading some technical engineering journals and Adobe bogs down quite a bit. I did pay for another one, can't recall what it's called at the moment, might have been just "PDF Reader" or some such. It is slightly better. At this point it is let down by screen resolution and rendering speed. Possible, but requires some patience.

I've not figure out the connection issue either. Only some sites it is borked. It's weird that it's not like it can't render, but it outright claims it cannot connect to the site. I tried forcing IPv6 or whatever but no luck. I might try hot-spotting through my BB10 device and see what happens

Posted via CB10
    02-10-20 05:03 PM
    Ah well I tend to be reading some technical engineering journals and Adobe bogs down quite a bit. I did pay for another one, can't recall what it's called at the moment, might have been just "PDF Reader" or some such. It is slightly better. At this point it is let down by screen resolution and rendering speed. Possible, but requires some patience.

I've not figure out the connection issue either. Only some sites it is borked. It's weird that it's not like it can't render, but it outright claims it cannot connect to the site. I tried forcing IPv6 or whatever but no luck. I might try hot-spotting through my BB10 device and see what happens

Posted via CB10
    I would think for some PDFs the size of the screen would be a possible limitation as well.

Late last year I was finding more uses for these and I found they were pretty good in terms of displaying pics. I don’t have a big DSLR I have micro 4/3 cameras and while it takes a bit to get absolute full resolution of each pic of the highest quality shots it renders to a good quality quicker than some other older tablets that have better screen resolution like the Nook HD series. I think the playbook is a solid size for showing pics. I think sometimes the full size iPad while an amazing screen feels a bit overwhelming to me. Meanwhile even though an iPad 3 isn’t expensive the playbook is something I would give to pretty much anyone and not worry if they broke it.

I had never had the issue with the internet like we are having till this year. Not a huge deal at all but again it would be cool to have a solution. Sometimes it’s nice to be able to go directly to a site and download things directly to the device.

One other thing I am starting to use again is basically using one playbook as a journal. It’s pretty secure and really if Something happens to me and the playbook is unable to be used or accessed...good. Lol it’s also good because basically I have WiFi turned off no distractions from the device so am typing on. Docs to go is such a pleasure to use for this purpose. Simple, easy to read good text size no fluff etc.
    Dave Clark5 likes this.
    02-10-20 11:44 PM
    What PDF reader are you using? I’ve never experienced any problems with Adobe reader. Maybe I haven’t used anything heavy enough to be a problem.

I was trying a bit of an experiment using the browser and I ended up with the error “The network is unavailable. Please try again later.” It happens on some sites and not others. I googled and tried a few things but nothing worked. It’s not a big deal because I don’t really use the browser much but it would be cool to figure out what the solution is.

I have a whole fleet of these things. I’m planning to use at least one as a photo album and I think I’m going to set up one with my music library. I just love the feel of these things and the UI. They are dirt cheap to by on eBay. I like having one in my work bag for a few uses.
    Same here....I have several (more than is logical, haha) and use them for a variety of things - several clocks and radio players at work / home, some for travel, some for experimenting and some tucked away for safekeeping.
    02-12-20 01:01 AM
    Funny thing is the browser can be quite capable. For example I can login with my Microsoft account to Outlook and he Mail, Calendar, Contacts, all work fine and it is very responsive.
    Other sites...I can't even connect.
    It looks like even using Onenote online works...at least until it detects my user agent string....
    02-12-20 01:37 AM
    Funny thing is the browser can be quite capable. For example I can login with my Microsoft account to Outlook and he Mail, Calendar, Contacts, all work fine and it is very responsive.
    Other sites...I can't even connect.
    It looks like even using Onenote online works...at least until it detects my user agent string....
    Likely to do with security protocol upgrades that the PB no longer supports. See the thread on Wikipedia no longer working for an example.
    02-12-20 03:59 AM
    Hi, newbie Crackberry user here (7 year Playbook user though). I am still using my Playbook for reading PDFs and the odd video. I am usually surprised at how good the camera works when the light is good, but cellphones have caught up in most cases. I love the podcast player and found how to get it to work without the service. I am a Canuck so I download a lot of CBC podcasts. They're great.

Recently I had a ton of trouble connecting my playbook to my laptop. It always connects, but then failed to mount the playbook as Z: Other laptops worked fine, kinda. Sometimes they connected, and then stopped. I never had a laptop go from non-connecting to connecting though. Baffling, and I worked for hours trying to find a fix. The error always was:

>>> Blackberry Device Manager Please Reconnect your device
    [E:0x180] An Error Occured Mounting
    RIM Handheld Communications Manager <<<

Months later I think I have found the solution to the problem I was encountering. I had to enable SMB1.0/CIFS support. I seem to have regained access to my playbook!!! :-)

It was on one of the Windows forums:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-f038568b04f3

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...le-smbv1-v2-v3

I hope someone finds this useful. Cheers!

My PlayBook usage still going in 2020!-blackberryplaybookconnecterror_20200216.png
    My PlayBook usage still going in 2020!-blackberryconnect-windowsfeaturescontrol.png
    My PlayBook usage still going in 2020!-blackberryconnect-windowsfeaturesenable-smb1_0.png
    dmlis likes this.
    02-16-20 11:23 PM
    Hi, newbie Crackberry user here (7 year Playbook user though). I am still using my Playbook for reading PDFs and the odd video. I am usually surprised at how good the camera works when the light is good, but cellphones have caught up in most cases. I love the podcast player and found how to get it to work without the service. I am a Canuck so I download a lot of CBC podcasts. They're great.

Recently I had a ton of trouble connecting my playbook to my laptop. It always connects, but then failed to mount the playbook as Z: Other laptops worked fine, kinda. Sometimes they connected, and then stopped. I never had a laptop go from non-connecting to connecting though. Baffling, and I worked for hours trying to find a fix. The error always was:

>>> Blackberry Device Manager Please Reconnect your device
    [E:0x180] An Error Occured Mounting
    RIM Handheld Communications Manager <<<

Months later I think I have found the solution to the problem I was encountering. I had to enable SMB1.0/CIFS support. I seem to have regained access to my playbook!!! :-)

It was on one of the Windows forums:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-f038568b04f3

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...le-smbv1-v2-v3

I hope someone finds this useful. Cheers!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlackberryPlaybookConnectError_20200216.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	447783

Name:	BlackberryConnect-WindowsFeaturesControl.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	447784

Name:	BlackberryConnect-WindowsFeaturesEnable-SMB1_0.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	447785
    Yes, thanks for that reminder but it's a well known fix here on CB Forums. There are a few threads here already about enabling SMBv1.0. Just be aware that it is a known security risk to your laptop if you leave it enabled. Most folks here will enable it, then complete their hookup/file transfer etc, and then finally disable the SMBv1 support again.
    mh1983 likes this.
    02-17-20 09:55 AM
    I just dusted my Playbook off, but it appears Dingleberry 3.3.3 is gone from the internets. I've recently gotten into Linux thanks for Windows 10 being a streaming piece of doodoo.

Can any one help this poor old timer get some use out of this old tablet and at least point me to a working version Dingleberry 3.3.3 or later.

I know it's got only 1 GB of RAM, but hey... you can do a lot on a iGB with a linux, or even activating the QNX underneath the Blackberry crap.
    10-16-20 06:07 AM
    I just dusted my Playbook off, but it appears Dingleberry 3.3.3 is gone from the internets. I've recently gotten into Linux thanks for Windows 10 being a streaming piece of doodoo.

Can any one help this poor old timer get some use out of this old tablet and at least point me to a working version Dingleberry 3.3.3 or later.

I know it's got only 1 GB of RAM, but hey... you can do a lot on a iGB with a linux, or even activating the QNX underneath the Blackberry crap.
    What were you thinking to do with Dingleberry?

Anyway BlackBerry "secured" the OS and Dingleberry would only work with very early versions of PBOS, and BlackBerry blocked downgrading. Odds that you'd have a PlayBook on one those early 2.0.0.6XXX are very low. But Dingleberry didn't allow you to do much of anything.... other than install Android Market, that still didn't really work all that great on PBOS. Which is why most gave it up in favor of new PBOS that added things.... like email.
    Ratteler likes this.
    10-16-20 08:54 AM
    Thanks for your reply. Is there a way to get a browser that actually sort of works? I'm kind of spoiled by what i'm learning on my Raspberry Pi4 4GB.
    10-16-20 09:26 AM
    Is there a way to get a browser that actually sort of works?
    No. The 2.3 android runtime just is too old to support anything that works reasonably.
    10-16-20 10:04 AM
    Thanks for your reply. Is there a way to get a browser that actually sort of works? I'm kind of spoiled by what i'm learning on my Raspberry Pi4 4GB.
    I do agree it is amazing the hardware packed in these cheap little devices.... and the market of developer tools and applications that can be installed. And as always it's sad to see ten year old hardware become totally obsolete.

I have a 32 TV in my room that works just fine.... but it isn't smart and it's only 720P. I could add a stream stick to it for $40 - $70 depending on which I choose. Or Black Friday get a new one that is 1080 or maybe 4K with built in "smarts" for only a little more. (or just remove it - as wife and I watch our tablets these day. Use to mostly watch news and a late show.... but those have gotten so political - the news is funny and the late shows are depressing)
    10-16-20 11:04 AM
37 12