Surprisingly, the Playbook still comes along for the ride when I travel for fun.

What still works
    • It's the right size. 7"-8" size is still easily portable yet big enough to differentiate itself from even the largest phablets. The screen provides noticeably more comfort when watching movies.
    • Still works fine as a video player. As long as I download the movies beforehand, there is no problem. (Even with a newer tablet I would do that anyways as I do not expect to always have online access). Image quality is still very good, I don't feel like I'm missing too much. I use Kalemsoft, which handles all sorts of media and even subtitles
    • Battery life is very decent. Standby lasts for days and I can easily get through a movie or two before it runs out of juice.
    • Audio is still fantastic, those stereo speakers are crisp, clear and loud enough. After all these years it still remains one of the best I've heard. Maybe it "helps" that not many tablets come with proper stereo speakers any more.
    • I'm (re) discovering lots of decent games. Sure, they may not be the latest one everyone is playing these days but the gameplay is still good as are the graphics. No complaints as a device used for some minor diversions.
    • Can still capably handle email (it is a touch slow for me, but then it is syncing over 7000 emails across 5 accounts) and calendar, even syncing with my online calendars.

What doesn't work
    • There's no beating around the bush. Web browsing is almost useless. Even sites that render correctly are an exercise in patience
    • RSS feeds sort of work, but they are also deadly slow
    • Forget about reading anything but the simplest PDF's. Not only is the screen resolution too low to fit everything on one page, rendering slows to a crawl.

Is it the best tablet out there? No, not by a long shot. I'd far rather have the iPad mini. (Even a 5 year old Android tablet is probably better). But my Playbook has one big thing going for it. I already have it and I'm not sure the missing functionality is worth an extra $400 USD. Not when I have to carry my phone anyways and that fills in the missing gap.
    dmlis and anon(5597702) like this.
    01-23-20 11:14 PM
    I have 4 playbook of various models. maybe you want a few back ups?
    01-24-20 12:35 AM
    Forget about reading anything but the simplest PDF's. Not only is the screen resolution too low to fit everything on one page, rendering slows to a crawl
    Kindle app is still fine at my Playbook. Evernote as well, yet large notes can be slow to open.
    01-24-20 05:11 PM
    Surprisingly, the Playbook still comes along for the ride when I travel for fun.

What still works
    • It's the right size. 7"-8" size is still easily portable yet big enough to differentiate itself from even the largest phablets. The screen provides noticeably more comfort when watching movies.
    • Still works fine as a video player. As long as I download the movies beforehand, there is no problem. (Even with a newer tablet I would do that anyways as I do not expect to always have online access). Image quality is still very good, I don't feel like I'm missing too much. I use Kalemsoft, which handles all sorts of media and even subtitles
    • Battery life is very decent. Standby lasts for days and I can easily get through a movie or two before it runs out of juice.
    • Audio is still fantastic, those stereo speakers are crisp, clear and loud enough. After all these years it still remains one of the best I've heard. Maybe it "helps" that not many tablets come with proper stereo speakers any more.
    • I'm (re) discovering lots of decent games. Sure, they may not be the latest one everyone is playing these days but the gameplay is still good as are the graphics. No complaints as a device used for some minor diversions.
    • Can still capably handle email (it is a touch slow for me, but then it is syncing over 7000 emails across 5 accounts) and calendar, even syncing with my online calendars.

What doesn't work
    • There's no beating around the bush. Web browsing is almost useless. Even sites that render correctly are an exercise in patience
    • RSS feeds sort of work, but they are also deadly slow
    • Forget about reading anything but the simplest PDF's. Not only is the screen resolution too low to fit everything on one page, rendering slows to a crawl.

Is it the best tablet out there? No, not by a long shot. I'd far rather have the iPad mini. (Even a 5 year old Android tablet is probably better). But my Playbook has one big thing going for it. I already have it and I'm not sure the missing functionality is worth an extra $400 USD. Not when I have to carry my phone anyways and that fills in the missing gap.
    I agree 100%. I carry mine over a new iPad for my daily commute. The audio sounds better and it's a much better device for downloading local files directly.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    01-24-20 05:13 PM
    I have 4 playbook of various models. maybe you want a few back ups?
    Oh I know I would!
    01-25-20 07:11 PM
    I have a 16gb, 2 x 32gb, 1 -64gb and a 32GB Lite version (sim card) and I also have an authentic Blackberry Bluetooth Keyboard with newer case that I will be posting for sale shortly. I also have a couple of blackberry magnetic chargers produced exclusively for the Blackberry Playbooks. Oh and I have one Blackberry Music Gateway with all wiring available for sale. I just have to find the time to figure out what pricing I need to ask for them and then I will post for sale. Thanks
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-26-20 02:42 PM
    Hi. I am interested in the stereo gateway

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    02-05-20 04:51 AM
    I have the 32GB. It was good for travel.

I wish I could change the OS to something that would make it work.
    02-05-20 06:53 AM
    I have the 32GB. It was good for travel.

I wish I could change the OS to something that would make it work.
    Even if you could change the OS at this point.... it's just not that powerful of a device. WiFi, GPU, Memory...
    02-05-20 07:04 AM
    Even if you could change the OS at this point.... it's just not that powerful of a device. WiFi, GPU, Memory...
    Yep, not powerful. But good enough for a few things like looking up things when you travel. Or radio if apps would work. But yeah... need more power.
    02-05-20 07:16 AM
    Yep, not powerful. But good enough for a few things like looking up things when you travel. Or radio if apps would work. But yeah... need more power.
    Radio usually works well enough in the browser, I found. Nobex is still an option too, last I checked.
    02-05-20 11:14 AM
    Same applies to the HP Touchpad pro and somehow the Android dev community manages to produce custom roms for it. The device came out in 2011, around the same time as the Playbook.
    02-05-20 11:15 AM
    Same applies to the HP Touchpad pro and somehow the Android dev community manages to produce custom roms for it. The device came out in 2011, around the same time as the Playbook.
    1) does the playbook have same basic specs from back then?

2) doesn’t BlackBerry security features prevent this from being done?
    02-05-20 11:27 AM
    1) does the playbook have same basic specs from back then?

2) doesn’t BlackBerry security features prevent this from being done?
    1) Yes, almost identical

2) of course, that's the main barrier. But earlier it was suggested that PB specs wouldn't handle a different custom OS and that's not the case. So technically possible but not at all likely given the security barrier you already pointed out.
    02-05-20 11:46 AM
    Radio usually works well enough in the browser, I found. Nobex is still an option too, last I checked.
    It tried a few, nothing worked. Not sure if you are in U.S. and it works better?
    02-05-20 12:48 PM
    It tried a few, nothing worked. Not sure if you are in U.S. and it works better?
    Canada, actually. What station(s) are you trying to access?
    02-05-20 12:49 PM
    Canada, actually. What station(s) are you trying to access?
    boom 97.3 was one of the few that wouldn't work
    02-05-20 12:52 PM
    Hey everyone. For some music try the TopMusic app from BBW. Nice app!

As for Nobex, it's hit and miss. I can listen to CJOB 680 from Winnipeg, for example. There are others that work fine also but many links no longer work.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    02-05-20 01:06 PM
    boom 97.3 was one of the few that wouldn't work
    Unfortunate but likely true. After a cursory test, I haven't been able to get it to work in Nobex or any of the web-based streaming options. The station does appear in Nobex as a selectable option, so I submitted the issue to Nobex directly, FWIW.

Meanwhile, maybe someone else will have some ideas. @TrumpetTiger? @playbookUK (blast from the past! Wonder if he/she's still around?)
    02-05-20 01:16 PM
    Unfortunate but likely true. After a cursory test, I haven't been able to get it to work in Nobex or any of the web-based streaming options. The station does appear in Nobex as a selectable option, so I submitted the issue to Nobex directly, FWIW.
    I tried everything I could, in the Summer. I gave up. Doesn't work. Not worth my time.
    02-05-20 01:30 PM
    I tried everything I could, in the Summer. I gave up. Doesn't work. Not worth my time.
    Ok, well I'll try a few more things, but I know that feeling. But sounds like you're able to get most radio stations you want to work and this one is an exception?
    02-05-20 08:02 PM
    Ok, well I'll try a few more things, but I know that feeling. But sounds like you're able to get most radio stations you want to work and this one is an exception?
    Not at all. I tried.... Didn't work lol
    02-06-20 04:39 AM

Meanwhile, maybe someone else will have some ideas. @TrumpetTiger? @playbookUK (blast from the past! Wonder if he/she's still around?)
    @towngirl

Hmmm...no ideas offhand but I'll check it out. Nobex is still pretty reliable so it may be a station problem. I'll see what I can come up with as I'm able. Also, towngirl, since Nobex works in general I'll see if stations where you are tend to work and/or if I can figure out a way for them to do so. (Where are you?)
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    02-06-20 03:50 PM
    @towngirl

Hmmm...no ideas offhand but I'll check it out. Nobex is still pretty reliable so it may be a station problem. I'll see what I can come up with as I'm able. Also, towngirl, since Nobex works in general I'll see if stations where you are tend to work and/or if I can figure out a way for them to do so. (Where are you?)
    Hey don’t be crowding...... LMAO
    towngirl likes this.
    02-06-20 03:53 PM
    What PDF reader are you using? I’ve never experienced any problems with Adobe reader. Maybe I haven’t used anything heavy enough to be a problem.

I was trying a bit of an experiment using the browser and I ended up with the error “The network is unavailable. Please try again later.” It happens on some sites and not others. I googled and tried a few things but nothing worked. It’s not a big deal because I don’t really use the browser much but it would be cool to figure out what the solution is.

I have a whole fleet of these things. I’m planning to use at least one as a photo album and I think I’m going to set up one with my music library. I just love the feel of these things and the UI. They are dirt cheap to by on eBay. I like having one in my work bag for a few uses.
    Dave Clark5 likes this.
    02-08-20 08:12 PM
41 12