Ok, so we all know that the playbook is launching without native email/calender etc. to most of us this is no big deal at the moment, we have our berrys and we know its coming but for the general customer/annoying tech analysts this is a BIG problem....so heres my thoughts, seems to us (because of lack of advertising) that this is sort of a "soft launch" and i remember reading that someone on forums said that he works for an advertising company and that they got the playbook campaign starting 4/18 a day before launch. Which has me thinking first out the gate its for corporate clients, they have blackberrys already in there ecosystems with there IT policies no need for native PIM. then theres the hardcore blackberry fans like us that are in the know more than employees at staples or best buy or whatever. We have no need for PIM on the playbook so thats fine then we have the rest of the world MOST dont even know about this thing. so when the marketing campaign DOES start the playbook has already been released and MAYBE just MAYBE when the general public starts to REALLY hear about the device they will buy it open it up and an UPDATE will add PIM. I think thats a problem solved as long at that update comes soon. Just my thoughts.
    03-29-11 04:32 PM
    I can see your point. I also think that most of the general public has no idea about how they would use a tablet and incorporate it into their daily lives. It's not a full fledged PC and it's not a smart phone, yet they think they want to use them in the same way. It's truly a paradigm shift and you need to really think differently about how you would use them. Tablets (to me) are not a replacement for your PC or your smart phone. It's an extention.
    03-29-11 04:48 PM
    I think it's because RIM is working so hard in order to get the PlayBook out in time that they will need to hold off on some features until the first software update.

I think they decided to require Bridge instead of working on native solutions because all businesses and early adopters that will for the most part be BlackBerry fans anyways. I think RIM hopes the update will coincide with the point where there is enough stock on shelves and the average non-bb consumer starts to consider th PlayBook as a viable option.
    03-29-11 05:40 PM
    I can see your point. I also think that most of the general public has no idea about how they would use a tablet and incorporate it into their daily lives. It's not a full fledged PC and it's not a smart phone, yet they think they want to use them in the same way. It's truly a paradigm shift and you need to really think differently about how you would use them. Tablets (to me) are not a replacement for your PC or your smart phone. It's an extention.
    Agreed but the playbook is more of a "pc" than the ipad as you do not need to hook it to a pc to get it up and running. I think that when people start to see what these tablets can really do they will have no problem running out and getting one. For myself I will no longer carry my laptop as the playbook will do everything that I need. As of now if my bb screen was larger I would be able to edit most of my files on it instead of a computer. It makes a difference what industry you are in for sure but as a person who is in business the playbook just makes sense.

I do believe that the paradigm shift has started. As more and more tablets get onto the market and more people are exposed to them they will start to make the connection to where they will be able to use it
    03-29-11 05:44 PM
    I think rim just doesn't want to hand out free ubersecure push email services and management to anyone else but BB subscribers? Native BIS/BES email will come with the 4G playbooks.

In the mean time there will be 3rd party apps with the amazing 'core functionality' as some call it, to combine the hotmail and gmail to one single inbox.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-11 05:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD