Best Answer

Apr 13 2015 | 6:19 pm EDT rthonpm

Both of those look for the desktop version of Flash, not the mobile version used by the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10

More Answers

Apr 17 2015 | 11:43 am EDT Gooseberry Falls

Well, for Facebook you could try the Origami browser to set the user agent to Firefox and access the desktop site. For Netflix, the problem is that most mobile OSs (including OS2.X) don't support Silverlight. It is not a flash problem.

Apr 17 2015 | 12:04 pm EDT anon(5597702)

Well, for Facebook you could try the Origami browser to set the user agent to Firefox and access the desktop site. For Netflix, the problem is that most mobile OSs (including OS2.X) don't support Silverlight. It is not a flash problem.
Exactly, what Gooseberry said. I access a lot of streaming Canadian TV on desktop versions of the site. The Flash embedded in the PB can handle these things; it's not a matter of mobile vs. desktop, but some sites that see the PB browser user agent are likely programmed to not provide support.

Try GB's suggestion and you may "override" the user agent. Not guaranteed to work but worth a shot.

Netflix won't work no matter what you try on the PB.

Apr 18 2015 | 7:28 am EDT robsteve

I access a lot of streaming Canadian TV on desktop versions of the site. The Flash embedded in the PB can handle these things; it's not a matter of mobile vs. desktop, but some sites that see the PB browser user agent are likely programmed to not provide support.
What Canadian TV sites can you stream? I haven't tried lately, but about a year ago, most of them required (CTV, Global, CityTV) version 12 of flash or higher. The only one that seems to still work is CBC.

Apr 18 2015 | 2:07 pm EDT anon(5597702)

What Canadian TV sites can you stream? I haven't tried lately, but about a year ago, most of them required (CTV, Global, CityTV) version 12 of flash or higher. The only one that seems to still work is CBC.
CBC, HGTV, and Slice.

Apr 18 2015 | 10:59 pm EDT robsteve

CBC, HGTV, and Slice.
Thanks, didn't know there were ones other than CBC, though I was referring to old fashioned Network TV, rather than cable channels. Without the CTV, Global and City Streaming, you miss a lot of the prime time shows. Even when they worked a lot got hung up when the ads tried to play.

I think I figured out why they all require the newer Flash though I may need to confirm that the ver 11 of flash doesn't have it. There is a new form of cookie that uses Flash to put tracing info on your PC. The networks may be using this info and thus require the newer Flash.

Posted via CB10

Apr 20 2015 | 8:05 am EDT tovento

Agreed that a number of Canadian shows no longer stream. Not sure if "archived" shows are different, but my wife has been watching cityline on her iPad which obviously doesn't have flash. Again, she isn't watching live stream, so that might be the difference. This whole thing of not being able to upgrade to keep up with stuff changing on the net leads me to want to get an MS tablet next. Different price range, but more flexible.